Ideas for added realism for future DLC

Hey guys,

I have a lot of ideas for a set of build items that would bring some more realistic zoo design to Planet Zoo.

Keeper buggy: it would be amazing if this were a functional item. The buggy is placed next to a keeper hut. The keeper makes food as usual, then brings the buckets out to the buggy, loads them into the back and drives to the enclosure. Buggies travel along staff paths and can clip through staff if need be. The buggy could be parked outside the enclosure. Keeper gets out, grabs buckets and delivers food as usual. Of course, if this is too much to implement, a decor piece would do as well. Example images:
Award-019.jpg

keeperbuggyeg.png

Modern signage: I feel like we have a very small amount of signage in game. We could do with having more variety - especially if we could upload images into these signs (we could take our own animal photos in game to load into the image space of a sign. Also, could we please have a font that is similar to the "National Zoo" in these images? Something modern and sleek. I particularly like the tall banners, the zoo map (even if it's a generic image), the third image down is the type of customisable thing I mentioned above. I love the flat panel in the fourth image, very lifelike piece.
modernsigns-fontidea.png

signageeg.png

modernsignseg.png

signageegflat.png

Back of house structures: This is super important and we really don't have enough of these right now! I'm talking about warning signs, electrical boxes, animal gates like the one pictured in image 2 (even if they're not functional), pipes, holding pen building pieces like thick steel poles with cables in image 3. Locks, latches, levers. It would be really awesome to have boxes of fruit/produce/meat to decorate our staff areas with, as well as buckets, brooms and rakes and wheelbarrows.

The first thing you do every day as a keeper is grab your cleaning kit: rake, broom, wheelbarrow and get to work. Then it's food prep and a lot of buckets! You spend a lot of time in back of house - areas that rely on a lot of levered gates to allow animal access, or block them out of areas as needed. Almost every enclosure has a back of house night den or holding pen for housing animals at night, putting them away to clean their enclosure, or bringing them in close for vet checks/vaccinations/birthing/training, etc. It would be great to be able to build these areas more accurately in game.
boheg.png

61vce8bh79L._AC_SY741_.jpg

Zoo_Elephant_Enclosure-1.jpg

Added gameplay: In addition to a lot of cleaning, animal training/conditioning and food prep, a keeper's day also involves keeper talks. We could really use this in Planet Zoo. We could put up a little podium and maybe have a dedicated guide or educator to come and stand and give talks, similar to the mascots function in Planet Coaster (our keepers are already too busy and overworked). It would massively add to guest education, and guests would actively travel to them.

Attachments

• keeperbuggyeg.png
    keeperbuggyeg.png
    86.5 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Vet checks on baby animals: we already have vets in the game and they are fantastic! I'd love to see them give a standard checkup on any baby animal born in game. The image below inspired me. When a new baby arrives in game, vets could go and check on them. Small babies could be put in a bucket and weighed (these items could just spawn into the enclosure temporarily), or larger babies just stand on the scale with the vet having a hand on their shoulder/neck to steady them there. The vet could bring out a chart and take notes like they do for research while the animal is on the scale or in the bucket.
Award-02.jpg

Interactive walk throughs: Guests should be able to feed the animals in walk-throughs. Say we put up a stand that sells feed cups, or browse branches, that guests can offer the animals. Also, animals can climb on guests and steal items.
Award-1.jpg

Award-024.jpg

New shops: I'd love to have small vendor carts, as well as some new types of food/gift/drink/item shops. Plush toys are a big must have!
DSC04654-1024x682.jpg

More enrichment items: especially things that look natural - skeletons, more logs stuffed with food, food scatters, carcasses for carnivores, browse branches, hanging items from trees, etc.
1585702171416.png

Please add any ideas you guys have - it would be awesome to have a thread of realistic game items/gameplay suggestions!

Last edited:
Totally agree with everything on your list, especially the backstage stuff. I'm also gonna throw in a link to another topic regarding the barriers, IMO a department in which the game's really lacking some realistic and more diverse fence types to build with.

I would like all of your Suggestions in the Game. Especially interactive Walk-through Enclosures would be interesting because I'm currently building one. A Path would be great that can only be seen in the Build-Mode so more realistic Petting Zoos would be possible.

It would also be awesome if it would be possible to build a Gate for Indoor-Enclosures that closes automatically when all Animals are inside (or maybe automatically get transported inside) and the Temperature outside is too low or too high.

More signs and information boards in different shapes and sizes would be awesome - and also some posters and wallpapers which aren't electrified. Most zoos I know don't have flat screens all over the place, but good old analogue stuff.
I'd also like playground items for kids. They don't have to be usable by the guests, just for decoration would be fine. As of now, I'm not talented enough to create them on my own :D

It would really be great if we had all of this ! Especially the interactive walk-through. I made one, and I had visitors complaining they coudn't see my flamingos well while they were litterally in the middle of their habitat, so interactions would be a good idea to increase guest happiness and even maybe education ? (if they feed them they learn what they eat !).

Also, just because it would be really cute, I would love to have the vet baby check-up. And if they made an effective back of house, the babies could even be kept there for a while (as it is in every zoo : a baby animal is kept in security, at least for the beginning !)

I double post because i would like to add an idea, but I don't think people will like it so I wanted to separate it.
In reality, in zoos, there is at birth a risk of the baby dying (depend on what animal it is of course, and if the mother is well experienced or not). So it would really be interesting (maybe only in hard level) if we could have a risk of a baby dying. I am not a psychopath, I would have no pleasure or satisfaction in a death, but I know in France, we have a Zoo where there are giant pandas, and the female had twins but one of them died a few days after being born : it was I think the first time the mother had babies, it was the first time in the zoo they had baby giant panda, and with twins there is always one who is weaker.

So it would add to the challenge and to the realism of the game if there could be a percentage of risk of a baby dying (percentage could be between 0.01% and 30%), depending on the level of vets and keeper, if it is the first time the mother have babies, if (for mammals) there are several babies. Let's be crazy, it could even take into account if the mother was too hungry during the pregnancy or if she was to stressed !

((Once again : i am not a psychopath who wants dead animals everywhere, but when animals get old, they die, when they are starving, they die, both in the game and in real life, and it would add to the realism of the game to have a "baby mortality"))

I want to add/ emphasize:
  • we need a lot of more fonts (esp. in different sizes). Yeah, there are great custom made fonts in the workshop. But for the average player it's still tedious to find them and especially to place them. We are not all content creators, who invest hours and hours just to create and place things like that.
  • more simple wood and esp. metallic pieces without any themes or themed textures to make simple cages, fences and stuff like that
  • simple wood and brick pieces to build keeper huts all over the place. In IRL zoos many huts are just simple structures and do not all like shiny and like historical monuments
  • (non-functional) Vehicles: there is a bunch of amazingly creative builders, who invest a lot of time to create custom vehicles like cars and trucks. An IRL zoo does not only have visitors coming by car, bus or tram, they have daily deliveries of food (for animals and guests), but also have daily deliveries of animals, living prey, garbage disposal, gardners etc. etc.
  • signs! Central zoo overview maps for visitors are missing, flyer stands for takeaway maps
  • Playgrounds! Every zoo has at least a small area for kids; traditional playgrounds or 'learning areas' for the young visitors
  • Show kitchens, show food preparation: already requested and discussed a lot of time here in the forum, modern zoos have at least 1-2 keepers preparation areas, in which visitors can look into while strolling by.

Last edited:
This is gonna sound weird but I'd like to see babies and toddlers in the game. When you go to any zoo on a good, sunny day, you see strollers everywhere. Maybe even stroller parking at things like monorails and gondalas.

I'd also like to see elephant fences like the cable wires and large bars (bonus if keepers can walk through these)

This is gonna sound weird but I'd like to see babies and toddlers in the game. When you go to any zoo on a good, sunny day, you see strollers everywhere. Maybe even stroller parking at things like monorails and gondalas.
I thought about the same thing a few Days ago. They would be especially great if we get a Petting Zoo DLC. I would love it to see their cute Reactions when they are petting and feeding Goats or when they see a Animal do something that they find funny

I thought about the same thing a few Days ago. They would be especially great if we get a Petting Zoo DLC. I would love it to see their cute Reactions when they are petting and feeding Goats or when they see a Animal do something that they find funny
Aww yes goats ! It would really be cute, I'd spend hours watching them and the kids interact .

For me the only "must-haves" at this point are mesh building pieces (to create covered outdoor enclosures for small primates and other arboreal animals like real zoos do), the aforementioned playground equipment (I agree, this sort of thing is commonplace and should be added), and more variety in terms of educational signs (some more powered and some unpowered), and yes, also more fonts.

I would also like more climbable ropes (retexturing the existing vines shouldn't be too difficult compared to some other requests) and more 'broken' trees (i.e. trees with branches but no leaves). Really there's a lot of 'little' things that would greatly improve the realism of the game without going overboard (being able to turn off animal welfare was a huge boon for this, too).

I love these ideas! Would be wonderful if any of these could be implemented somehow, someday

A lot of them probably will. The reaction to the last DLC was mixed enough that Frontier was bound to take on some feedback, especially with regards to how heavily themed the building set is. I mean, sure, it's pretty, and a lot of the new decorative pieces are extremely useful, but I don't really consider building a huge Mesoamerican temple in my zoo to be especially realistic. A lot of people were saying that they'd prefer more 'normal' zoo objects and scenery instead of big sets of theme-parkish architecture.

Top Bottom