If/When You Add Legs: 'Onward Style' Motion for VR Plz...

Aloha,

If the 2020 DLC is Legs then I'd definitely love motion controllers for locomotion, the FPS aspect, and that general added sense of presence. I'm hoping that's technically achievable even with the likely '2D first' weighting to the dev.

If there is motion controller support, I'd love for 'Onward style' motion to be included in the locomotion options. (IE 'Controller relative' motion. Here's an example of the implementation in Fallout 4 for anyone unaware of this technique)

Given the success of multiplayer VR launches like Onward, co-op VR ports like Payday 2, and offline ports like Fallout 4 etc using that scheme it feels like there's a desirable industry norm developing there (for first person ports + new launches etc). Its use in newer indie ports & launches (The Spy Who Shrunk me was one I noticed today) doubles down on that impression.

Obviously the whole balancing issue for K/M vs controller vs VR schemes is untested water. As a VR user though I'll just note I'd happily take a potential FPS disadvantage against K/M players if it meant I had all of the above benefits of motion controller play ;)

---

There's then a sliding scale of VR stuff that I'd love to see, but which seem like a lot more dev, and so less likely. (Unless a domino rally of financial incentives occur, IE: the new consoles featuring VR variants, & you guys pitching to be a launch title ;))...

• Virtual joysticks & panels as an alternative to HOTAS, allowing easier transition, & potentially a cool 'virtual cockpit' interface.
  • A degree of hand interaction with world items
  • Lone Echo style EVA locomotion via hand-holds & jets.
  • That full 'mersive, inverse kinematics arm recreation business.

It all slides off into dreamland no doubt. But for me, a Legs DLC which didn't let me blind-fire around corners, even with floaty hands, would be a disappointment for sure. (IE one that passed on the ultra-immersive + gamey aspects that motion controllers bring, opting for controller or K/M fumbling instead).

Getting half of the above would be rapture though ;)

Last edited:
Controller Relative motion is irritating and not immersive to use, especially on the fly . HMD is superior for interaction. I would rather both options be added, that way there is an option.

Rest of your suggestion is also what I have been dreaming of, a proper VR FPS integration for Elite... I could live in that world ;)

Also don't use Fallout 4 as an example unless you want to railroad Elite into the ground :D, it has to be the worst game for VR interactivity as the whole thing was a stale copy and paste of the 2D format with sloppy controls added. Examples like Boneworks, Blade and Sorcery, Stormland, Contractors and such have VERY intuitive Controls and interactions. I would hate for Elite to just be a 'Press X controller button to interact' type game in VR. you want to be able to pull levers, push in game buttons, flip switches and pick up items properly ;)

Controller Relative motion is irritating and not immersive to use, especially on the fly . HMD is superior for interaction. I would rather both options be added, that way there is an option.

Rest of your suggestion is also what I have been dreaming of, a proper VR FPS integration for Elite... I could live in that world ;)

Also don't use Fallout 4 as an example unless you want to railroad Elite into the ground :D, it has to be the worst game for VR interactivity as the whole thing was a stale copy and paste of the 2D format with sloppy controls added. Examples like Boneworks, Blade and Sorcery, Stormland, Contractors and such have VERY intuitive Controls and interactions. I would hate for Elite to just be a 'Press X controller button to interact' type game in VR. you want to be able to pull levers, push in game buttons, flip switches and pick up items properly ;)

Not to mention, Onward is perfected now in my eyes. Could just use VRIK...

Onward-style control doesn't have as much meaning as a term now that they've added HMD-relative movement.

Not to mention, Onward is perfected now in my eyes. Could just use VRIK...

Onward-style control doesn't have as much meaning as a term now that they've added HMD-relative movement.

Yeah, I switched that on ASAP when they got it....sooo much nicer now ;) I am very keen to see what the future of Elite holds, 'space legs' looks as though it may be the highlight of focus this yeah. and while that will open up a multitude of possibilities for 2D players, for VR it is a whole new experience entirely! ;)

At least then Elite can finally catch up to the diverse gameplay standard that No Man's Sky, X Rebirth and Star Citizen (I think) that offer gameplay outside of the cockpit ;)

I hate controller-relative motion. Maybe if HMD-relative is an option.

Options for all:

Oh yeah I was just voicing my preference for controller relative. Absolutely think they should go for: CR, HMD, classic stick.

That would allow parity with a classic 2D control scheme, and provide a spread of options for VR noobs up to VR vets.

(My personal objection to HMD is that I like being able to move and look independently. Really places me in the world / moment. But I agree that CR has some major drawbacks of its own.)

Also don't use Fallout 4 as an example unless you want to railroad Elite into the ground :D, it has to be the worst game for VR interactivity as the whole thing was a stale copy and paste of the 2D format with sloppy controls added. Examples like Boneworks, Blade and Sorcery, Stormland, Contractors and such have VERY intuitive Controls and interactions. I would hate for Elite to just be a 'Press X controller button to interact' type game in VR. you want to be able to pull levers, push in game buttons, flip switches and pick up items properly

We should expect '2D first' design:

I think we should accept that ED is a '2D first' production. That's where the meat of their money is. In lieu of PS throwing money at them to be a PS5VR launch headliner, it's very likely that will remain the design focus. That would mean the VR, if it happened, could have the same functions as 2D (maybe with some flourishes), but would not lead the design process.

That's why I think ports like FO4VR aren't bad comparisons. Something that was born of 2D design principles but ported to VR. There's no way we're going to see the equivalent of Boneworks level interactivity, for example. (A game which couldn't accommodate multiplayer for example, as they admit. Likely due to the sheer amount of physical positioning data for all the objects that would need to be shared. Add in the CPU heavy nature of physics systems like that, and ED already hitting the headroom on that front due to the proc gen planets, and it's just deeply unlikely that we'd see that level of object interaction).

It's possible of course that they could go the extra mile for VR, and still have 2D parity. IE panel interactions, bespoke EVA control, the virtual joystick potential etc. And I'm certainly crossing my fingers for that :). I think we should limit any expectations that the core gameplay design will be based on VR-first innovations though.

At least then Elite can finally catch up to the diverse gameplay standard that No Man's Sky, X Rebirth and Star Citizen (I think) that offer gameplay outside of the cockpit

Let's hope so :)

(Although scratch SC for the purposes of this thread. It's neither close to a coherent release, or ever likely to get native VR support. Not in this decade anyway ;))

You know, they've started to develop VR-space relative movement. I conceived it, but lately I saw a VR Beta I got into come up with it. Basically, you know the arrows in the SteamVR environment? That's your forward direction.

You know, they've started to develop VR-space relative movement. I conceived it, but lately I saw a VR Beta I got into come up with it. Basically, you know the arrows in the SteamVR environment? That's your forward direction.

Sounds intriguing :) Can you point me to any footage from the beta?

Top Bottom