If you were a gaming billionaire ...

... and wanted to make a zoo/building game, what would it be?

(this is not a post for complaining about the meanies at Frontier who won't do x, y, or z thing that they obviously should do, this is a post to have fun fantasizing about what you'd love most)

If I had a billion bucks and could make a zoo building game of my dreams it would have the level of animal detail we see in Planet Zoo - in particular
the sound effects, from the environment to the guests and their imaginary language and especially the details of the animal vocalizations are spectacular.

I also love the way the animals are able to have pretty complex interactions with their environment and would love to expand that even further.
I'd work to expand the animals interactions with each other. In my imaginary game, the flamingos would do their crazy/wonderful group courting when mating season rolls around. More grooming among the primates, more obvious herd behavior in the herd animals, more play fighting/play among the sub-adults.

I'd have 'nest' requirements for flamingos and crocodilians; the mud mounds and detritus mounds would be habitat pieces and without them, the animals wouldn't successfully breed. Ostriches males would raise the chicks (as they do) in big groups.

I'd have the focus of the game be the animals and building things (habitats, buildings, zoo campuses etc), and keep the management - especially
the money/guest happiness/staff satisfaction very light. No multiple tabs for what each guest in a group is carrying in each hand etc. Games that make it a struggle to do the very thing the game is designed for (in this case, building zoos with happy, interesting animals) really annoy me. I would have that the guests dress based on the biome - so we don't have hypothermic guests in shorts in the Antarctic.

I'd have a different system for the ... conservation credit/conservation emphasis in the game:
The inspection reports would have much more meaning - low performing zoos either wouldn't have access to certain rare/highly endangered or delicate animals, or wouldn't have access to high star/value animals. High performing zoos would get access to better/wider variety of animals as well as a financial boost (a pot of money). This reflects a little better why zoos are accredited/inspected in the first place. High quality zoos with a proven history of good animal care get to participate in breeding programs and etc.
The credits you receive for releasing animals in the wild would reflect more strongly the endangered level of the animal, the genetics of the animal - and albino animals would be worth almost nothing, conservation-wise. Yes, some white/albino animals survive in the wild but it's less common (albino prey animals almost never do, for example). You could sell them for as much 'regular' money as the market would bear (because humans be like that) but albino animals/low genetics aren't useful for species preservation.

I would have a genetic system in the game; where you could learn to somewhat predict melanistic animals/genetic outcomes. It'd be much simpler than real genetics, of course and I wouldn't tie it so closely to having a successful zoo with fun animals (see my point above about making the core part of the game intrinsically frustrating). If an animal was genetically 'small' that'd reflect in the animal's visuals in the zoo. Plenty of color variation.

I'd release animal packs based not only on geographic location but endangered level, species type, etc.

I'd also have 'expansion packs' that were more expensive, significant additions or changes to the game such as: an aquatic expansion pack that had fish, animals, etc. An extinct animal pack, a sci fi pack (who wouldn't want to build a zoo on mars?) and so on. A map pack with interesting or challenging terrains. Selling them as separate items would allow those who find the idea of extinct animals/whatever odious to not have them while allowing those who want to play with them to have the chance.

Some scalability in building items.

What is the zoo building game of your dreams?

Yeah, some form of open source type engine would be common sense. I'm not sure what advantage there is, anymore to proprietary engines/coding. It seems based on a false sense that you have (or can) force people to buy your product.

Unity 5 or anything other than a 5 year old cobra. The game is terrific but what good does it do if you cannot build a really huge world zoo if that is what you want? Many players with problems were told that their zoo is 'too big'. Maybe their engine is 'too small'.

shrug like I said, I'm not too interested in complaining about Frontier, it just gets everyone frustrated.

If I were to add extinct animals to the game, I might have two 'types' - very recent extinctions, basically modern animals such as the thylacine, the moa, the dodo, etc. And extinct animals from further back, the age of big mammals in north america is chock full of interesting animals.

I think there are some great ideas in the first post, though I'd keep the money/management as an option for play, at least. I find playing on sandbox a bit flat because suddenly it doesn't matter what the guests think at all, and you don't have to even think about balancing appeal with biological needs.

One thing I'd like to see is an expansion of the research and conservation role played by zoos, such as the ability to do research that actually increases conservation efforts in the wild. Right now, research is pretty bland after you "max out" species. It would be cool to be able to play as a nonprofit type foundation, which many zoos in fact are, and to obtain money from grants, philanthropic donations, and public sources as well as from ticket sales, concessions, and in-zoo donations. Getting an excellent conservation rep could increase one's ability to get rare animals, but also increase funding coming into the zoo for expansion, education, and so on.

Maybe if folks want to venture in a more speculative/science fictioney direction, there could even be a play mode with premium research into bringing back extinct species via DNA technology and so on.

Stadium shows/educational seminars would be cool too, as most zoos have some form of these.

The donation boxes in front of every habitat strike me as a bit unusual, as does doing things like charging for toilets and so on (I'm not sure charging for toilets is even legal in many US states, though that probably varies by country). In real life, I accept zoos are going to be expensive at the gate, charge me for parking and a premium for food inside the park too, but aside from a donation box at the front sometimes, I don't recall ever going to a zoo where they donation boxes in front of every habitat. I guess that's a compromise with realism that may be needed, though, to get more money flowing in the game and to offset the "bigger, sexier animals loved by guests are also more expensive" trade off in the game.

Maybe a bit more realism with staff and how they really function in zoos too. I imagine games always have to make compromises with reality, though, and we've seen how PZ is currently so big and complex it bogs down computer systems that aren't even out of date. No matter how rich one is or how good a programmer/coder, a game always has to deal with the constraints of current technology and the reality of the hardware most people would be running it on.

If I was going to do a zoo game, I'd definitely make "it's a game, games are suppose to be fun" the main message... stuff about conservation is good and all, but this isn't reality and we shouldn't be letting reality interfere with the creative options of our fantasy world, so I'd definitely add things you won't find in any real zoo... exotic animals, extinct animals... maybe even cryptids (I still want my Jackalope Zoo Tycoon 2!).

I would really love the animals to have three life stages; juvenile, adolescent and adult... would solve certain issues too, like how you can't separate juveniles from their parents, but as as soon as they go from juvenile to adult they fight... as adolescents, they can take care of themselves like adults do, but also don't fight with adults.

There'd be a lot more subspecies... some animals, like Wolves and Reindeer, have very different appearances between subspecies and trying to clump them all together under a single species doesn't look or feel right... and since a lot of them are basically just the same thing, but with a different skin... I mean, how hard could it be to add a bunch of them? Modders do it all the time... for free...

The exhibit animals system would be totally different; no more motionless statues, they'd have full life cycles, same as all other animals... and their habitats would be fully customizable. They'd probably need some specialty door or access panel objects--since their pens can be awfully small--and I imagine they'd get a lot of unique enrichment objects for "resting spots" where they can sit still, but otherwise they'd act normally, instead of just randomly moving when you're not looking.

On the human side, I'd definitely make the humans a bit more realistic... maybe not perfectly real... at least Pixar-level realistic... but definitely more real than the beady-eyes and plastic hair things we have now.

The path system desperately needs to be reworked... not sure how well it would work, but a "spray path" similar to the terrain paint system sounds... doable? Just paint the ground with a path and the guests walk on it... not so sure how well it would work for elevated paths though...

I'd definitely change up the food and shops. Instead of the "hamburger shop" and "water shop" we have now (a shop that just sells water? Really?), I'd create a generic base and make the things they sell customizable; choose a wide variety of entrees, side-orders, drinks and deserts and customize the extras that come with them... make an American restaurant, a Mexican restaurant, a burger joint, and pizza place, a desert shop, or mix and match however you want. And I'd make different kinds of bases too; the shop stall we have now, a shop without walls, a food cart, and so on...

I'd have 'nest' requirements for flamingos and crocodilians; the mud mounds and detritus mounds would be habitat pieces and without them, the animals wouldn't successfully breed. Ostriches males would raise the chicks (as they do) in big groups.
I definitely want this, but I feel like there needs to be compromise; make it so animals make nests and lay eggs, but also make it so players can collect those eggs and incubate them in a lab. Doing the latter ensures all eggs will hatch and prevents the risk of temperamental protective parents, but requires scientists and money (and maybe an incubation lab?) to do.

I'd also have 'expansion packs' that were more expensive, significant additions or changes to the game such as: an aquatic expansion pack that had fish, animals, etc.
Definitely, although I'd still make the smaller "stuff packs" we've been getting. I'd probably look into making smaller, more frequent DLC--like singular animals--a thing too.

a sci fi pack (who wouldn't want to build a zoo on mars?) and so on.
Uhh... I wouldn't... I mean, what's the advantage to a zoo on Mars? There are no animals on Mars... no air either, so you'd need to build everything indoors... so it'd basically just be a map with special rules and probably some space-themed building parts and that's it...

Definitely love that they did this in Prehistoric Kingdom... although I doubt it would work for everything, particularly trees, enrichment objects and other things that involve special animations and interaction... but building pieces like walls and ceilings and information boards should work. I'd also make single objects with changeable textures and colors... as oppose to making a dozen versions of the same items and divide them by textures... you know, reduce the clutter.

shrug like I said, I'm not too interested in complaining about Frontier, it just gets everyone frustrated.

If I were to add extinct animals to the game, I might have two 'types' - very recent extinctions, basically modern animals such as the thylacine, the moa, the dodo, etc. And extinct animals from further back, the age of big mammals in north america is chock full of interesting animals.
Yeah, if I was going to do extinct animals I'd probably start with more recent ones like Thylacine, Elephant Bird, Giant Sloths, Mammoths and so on... not that I wouldn't love to add dinosaurs and pterosaurs and therapsids and such, but starting out with things that are more closely related to living animals seems a bit more... appropriate.

Last edited:
... and wanted to make a zoo/building game, what would it be?

(this is not a post for complaining about the meanies at Frontier who won't do x, y, or z thing that they obviously should do, this is a post to have fun fantasizing about what you'd love most)

If I had a billion bucks and could make a zoo building game of my dreams it would have the level of animal detail we see in Planet Zoo - in particular
the sound effects, from the environment to the guests and their imaginary language and especially the details of the animal vocalizations are spectacular.

I also love the way the animals are able to have pretty complex interactions with their environment and would love to expand that even further.
I'd work to expand the animals interactions with each other. In my imaginary game, the flamingos would do their crazy/wonderful group courting when mating season rolls around. More grooming among the primates, more obvious herd behavior in the herd animals, more play fighting/play among the sub-adults.

I'd have the focus of the game be the animals and building things (habitats, buildings, zoo campuses etc), and keep the management - especially
the money/guest happiness/staff satisfaction very light. No multiple tabs for what each guest in a group is carrying in each hand etc. Games that make it a struggle to do the very thing the game is designed for (in this case, building zoos with happy, interesting animals) really annoy me. I would have that the guests dress based on the biome - so we don't have hypothermic guests in shorts in the Antarctic.

I'd have a different system for the ... conservation credit/conservation emphasis in the game:
The inspection reports would have much more meaning - low performing zoos either wouldn't have access to certain rare/highly endangered or delicate animals, or wouldn't have access to high star/value animals. High performing zoos would get access to better/wider variety of animals as well as a financial boost (a pot of money). This reflects a little better why zoos are accredited/inspected in the first place. High quality zoos with a proven history of good animal care get to participate in breeding programs and etc.
The credits you receive for releasing animals in the wild would reflect more strongly the endangered level of the animal, the genetics of the animal - and albino animals would be worth almost nothing, conservation-wise. Yes, some white/albino animals survive in the wild but it's less common (albino prey animals almost never do, for example). You could sell them for as much 'regular' money as the market would bear (because humans be like that) but albino animals/low genetics aren't useful for species preservation.

I would have a genetic system in the game; where you could learn to somewhat predict melanistic animals/genetic outcomes. It'd be much simpler than real genetics, of course and I wouldn't tie it so closely to having a successful zoo with fun animals (see my point above about making the core part of the game intrinsically frustrating). If an animal was genetically 'small' that'd reflect in the animal's visuals in the zoo. Plenty of color variation.

I'd release animal packs based not only on geographic location but endangered level, species type, etc.

I'd also have 'expansion packs' that were more expensive, significant additions or changes to the game such as: an aquatic expansion pack that had fish, animals, etc. An extinct animal pack, a sci fi pack (who wouldn't want to build a zoo on mars?) and so on. A map pack with interesting or challenging terrains. Selling them as separate items would allow those who find the idea of extinct animals/whatever odious to not have them while allowing those who want to play with them to have the chance.

What is the zoo building game of your dreams?
I love the overhaul to accreditation and I do feel there should be more to play for. Even like the small challenges are handy at first but after say 3 habitats a 1000 cash really doesn't make a difference.

I think it could work like this have 3 divisions of quests or challenges. 1.animal rights group. 2 conservationist 3. Tourist boss. And each completed quests builds your standing granting better rewards. And if you rewarded an animal you get to pick from 1 of 3 species. That way you are less likely to get stuck with animals you dont want or need at that time

I think more events, like what we found in Zoo Tycoon 2 (plus ones where animals can injure, or animals have to killed because of safety issues). Secondly, I'd like to be able to form presets. Like that the really nice shelter that you made out of like a couple dozen rocks that complete with vegetation growth, and turn it into one, so that it makes less lags because their are less objects. (might be explaining this poorly).
Should have to complete level one research before you even acquire an animal, so that you know how to meet it's needs. Plus, we could use this as an avenue to keep animals that are hard to keep in captivity. And your animals welfare will be tied to your research. The more you research it, the better you will understand it's needs (like understanding exactly what it's food need to be, and what needs to be supplemented).
I don't mean to start up the whole Orca thing, but we could keep them humanely in captivity. Just, the level of capital required to properly set up and maintain an appropriate exhibit is beyond the capacity and desire of any of the current facilities where they are located. However, given the massive amount of land we are given Planet Zoo, I think it's more than reasonable to have a tank that is 10-15x larger than any of the real world exhibits they try to keep them in.
With the right research you'd be able to keep them alive and stimulated and very happy. For other hard to keep species, you'd have to do something special for the animals. For example, the Proboscis monkey would either require that you be situated in it's native habitat, a massive on site greenhouse to grow the food, or to secure a consistent source of food from it's native habitat. Which includes all of the potential negatives that comes with you paying people to strip the rainforest of leaves.
But other species might require something special, like White Sharks like really fatty mammal meat as adults (so far they have only been kept as juveniles in their fish eating stage). So you might have to develop a lab to grow seal meat (yes, like lab grown beef).
The rewards for keeping these research intensive species would be a huge boost in popularity and prestige, to counterbalance with their extreme costs.

I'd love to do stuff with extinct animals, at the very, recently extinct ones, like 1930's and on. And of course cloning, allowing you to have to deal with controversary for cloning an endangered species, or slightly modifying the genome. Along with that, you'll be able to specialize your zoo, with breeding program limits, you can focus on various types of conservation, and exhibition in your zoo. For example, my local zoo does most of it's conservation work locally, and only really runs an Asian Elephant breeding program. it does run a California Condor program with several other partners behind the scenes but only non breeding birds are exhibited. Along with that, my local zoo is known for it's geriatric care, so it typically gets the older animals from other zoos (We had Amur leopards which we got because they spread their genes the most they could under the species' studbook). With such geriatric specialization allowing you to effectively rotate exhibits as older animals die and aren't replaced, which gets you more guests when a new exhibit opens. While conversely, and endangered species focus will see you breeding a few endangered species under a studbook.
How the endangered species breeding here would work, is that you will apply to join a program, and if accepted, you will be sent two animals to breed. like how most zoos have to under these management and reintroduction plans. Unauthorized breeding is possible, but will likely result in you being fined, being removed from the breeding program, or even being banned from other breeding programs.

I wouldn't do anything too fancy. To be honest, I'd go back to basics, like the very first Zoo Tycoon level of basics. A simplistic grid-based 2D zoo sim but with modern zoo management features. I'd include features such as an "Animal House" tab in the "Animals" menu for things like aviaries, reptile houses, and pre-fab exhibits for smaller/arboreal animals that wouldn't function well in a proper habitat setting (so things like small monkeys, red pandas, meerkats, penguins, and so on). The main animal stars would be your big ticket creatures, i.e. big cats, elephants, antelope, rhinos, bears, wolves, and so on, but there'd be enough variety in building types, shapes, and so on that you'd still be able to build something expansive and beautiful.

I'd head-hunt Frontier's developers and pair them with managers and game designers and producers who do not work at Frontier. The topic of the Cobra engine would be taboo. Free biscuits for all.

Top Bottom