IL-2 Sturmovik Squadrons

Some legendary IL2 'players' are into Elite too. ;)

bQQVzvI.jpg

On topic: I played this about 8-10 years ago on the PS3, and at the time it was a right balance between realism and playability with controller. If I remember correctly, the P-51 Mustang was a challenge to fly.

Edit: nice videos, though it is a bit weird that I don't see the flaps moving.

Last edited:
Some legendary IL2 'players' are into Elite too. ;)

On topic: I played this about 8-10 years ago on the PS3, and at the time it was a right balance between realism and playability with controller. If I remember correctly, the P-51 Mustang was a challenge to fly.

Edit: nice videos, though it is a bit weird that I don't see the flaps moving.

Could be settings, they do move on my PC :)

I was actually goofing off when I decided to test the treat/aircraft collision factor. The tree interacted with the prop but not the wing. And I should have kept the landing gear up. Just a natural reaction to lower the gear. But, as you say, anything you can walk away from.

Chief

[video=youtube;worIvyB0NvM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=worIvyB0NvM[/video]

[video=youtube;Hgwqmyfo16Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgwqmyfo16Y[/video]

[video=youtube;fWt_bpvmA8E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWt_bpvmA8E[/video]

Last edited:
Trying to get back into WW2 sims since I got a head tracker a few months back.

Playing IL2: Cliffs of Dover (because Spitifres obviously) I'm rusty as hell though. Think I'll leave multiplayer until I get a better monitor too.

Trying to get back into WW2 sims since I got a head tracker a few months back.

Playing IL2: Cliffs of Dover (because Spitifres obviously) I'm rusty as hell though. Think I'll leave multiplayer until I get a better monitor too.

The SP missions are good enough to knock off the corrosion, after that you're good to go :)

I have IL2 Stalingrad. I play it exclusively in VR.

I have yet to land once safely and I'm like a flying turkey against hawks.

I only recently figured out how to stop my engine from overheating in the Wings of Liberty server. I find it difficult to map all those engine management buttons on my HOTAS.

I have IL2 Stalingrad. I play it exclusively in VR.

I have yet to land once safely and I'm like a flying turkey against hawks.

I only recently figured out how to stop my engine from overheating in the Wings of Liberty server. I find it difficult to map all those engine management buttons on my HOTAS.

Practis practice my young padawan, you will get there.

When landing do you do a normal pattern procedure or do you just force the plane down? :D

Airport_traffic_pattern.jpg

When landing do you do a normal pattern procedure or do you just force the plane down? :D

Haha, I'm sure it's a mixture of both, while trying to avoid that raging, angry enemy on his 6, the annoying and stubborn flak fire and last but not least - the unresponsive and stuck gear/flaps/rudder controls ;) [haha]

Haha, I'm sure it's a mixture of both, while trying to avoid that raging, angry enemy on his 6, the annoying and stubborn flak fire and last but not least - the unresponsive and stuck gear/flaps/rudder controls ;) [haha]

In that case, I normally go in low and ligne up from far out, :D

Hey @Lysander, I have BoS on Steam- name is Komemiute.
If you don't mind a terrible terrible wingman, I'm here!

(this is obivously true for Elite too!)

Hey @Lysander, I have BoS on Steam- name is Komemiute.
If you don't mind a terrible terrible wingman, I'm here!

(this is obivously true for Elite too!)

hey thanks, I will look you up in IL/ED [up]

Lysan in ED, Slater in IL

Last edited:
I would like to know if there are other Elite Dangerous space pilots out there who like to go into WW2 SIM Battles?

I just might. Managed to snatch Il2 BoM right at the end of their sale yesterday. Is there any regular online play going on among ED players in these sims?

I'm generally looking to play more flight sims now that the HOTAS/mount/pedal setup is finally completed and I've upgraded to triple monitor (absolute treat...). But I'm still undecided as to where to start. Ideal for me would be coop-missions. The type of structured and varied mission content I can fit into sporadic two hour evening sessions, while not letting a whole team down in PvP and not dying of brain dead grind-om without having had experienced any compelling game mechanics beyond basic craft control, but wasting 20 minutes on instance and loading transitions before anything worthwhile happens (looking at you, Elite Dangerous...).

On the singleplayer side, I've got Il2 1946 lying around from a bargain bin sale about 10 years ago and would like to finally give it the time it deserves. Playing one mission yesterday with the full setup was a revelation. The view's no longer as horribly limited due to the triple screen and the head tracking. The HOTAS makes actual craft control a joy, rather than a frustrating fight and my PC is also for once, up to the task. No comparison to "back in the day", when I tried to play the original Il2 Sturmovik and later the Forgotten Battles standalone expansion with a crappy gameport Joystick (Saitek Cyborg 3D), that resulted in an experience so jittery, I slowed down time to actually get a shot on target. A later attempt at playing the 1946 variant with a gamepad wasn't much more successful, which is why I never went beyond trying to map the general control axis. A gamepad's analogue sticks just don't offer enough fine control, not to mention the lack of axis on the gamepad.

Rambling aside, anybody from the Elite Dangerous crowd still up for some Il2? Edit: @Lysander / @Komemiute mind giving me a shout as well? Steam name should be the same as my forum name.

Last edited:
Haven't played in a while, I d'led the SAS mod, reminds me I should have a look and see where that's currently at and what's new with it.

Sure I'm game but first I need to get back home as I'm stuck in the Middle East on a project, but end of November.

Top Bottom