IL-2 Sturmovik Squadrons

Reading through the notes on the Q&A with the Il2 lead producer (haven't managed to listen to the three hour recording, yet), I'm getting the impression that Il2 is very, very niche and the "777 Studios" appears, maybe as a result, very small. Even their webpage has hardly any material on them. No official address of offices, addresses for applications, showroom of their products etc..

I'm getting the impression that this is a very small number of enthusiasts, probably not even working in a common office, slowly laboring away at a TODO list in terms of things to fix/additions, which they have no hope of tackling in a comprehensive manner without a susbtantial influx of cash (read: broader success of Il2). Provided I'm not completely off with this impression, it's impressive what they've achieved with the new Il2 series and what they are still trying to achieve. But it also tones down expactations.

For comparsion: War Thunder may not be a hardcore Sim, although it's still very sim-ish. But due to its broader appeal, it's been successful enough to allow Gajin to now implement controllable crafts of 7 (?) nations, in the air, on the ground and soon on the water, including respective game modes. Even though each War Thunder plane is far less complex in its behaviour and therefore probably far quicker finished, the pace at which they're able to release notable updates is staggering in comparison. That's not to say Il2 should become like WT, but it offers a perspective between a firmly niche product and something that's comparativley mainstream.

Edit: Also, if the impression of their small size is accurate, any delays of the "Battle of Bodenplatte", "Flying Circus" and "Tank Crew" won't surprise me. Just as in that context, postponing a pacific theatre addon they can't get out in a timely manner due to being stuck with research etc. in favor of more "canonical" addons, seems like a completely rational and necessary decision.

A couple of points:

They aren't a 'small number of enthusiasts', they are a team of qualified professional developers, working out of an office, like any other software company. Yes, the team is small. And yes, they are enthusiastic about their product: which is a good thing.

As for delays, if there is one thing that distinguishes this team from game developers in general it is their ability to release things on time, or at least without the months or years of delays which have become so common within the gaming industry. I see no particular reason to assume they won't keep to this standard.

A couple of points:

They aren't a 'small number of enthusiasts', they are a team of qualified professional developers, working out of an office, like any other software company. Yes, the team is small. And yes, they are enthusiastic about their product: which is a good thing.

And as any other qualified professional development house, their webpage looks like it was made in 2000 while sombody forgot to add any content about them whatsoever (Edit: Like... their offices' actual physical address? And I'm not talking about the MAC here). Like any other development team, there are comments like "Only have the one programmer, has to pick and choose what to work on" about their work in relation to dedicated server enhancements. Just like any other dev team, a youtube Q&A with their lead producer consists of three hours of a static image and their staff answering questions through what sounds like micros placed in a bathtub. Even amateur private streamers today sport more professional hardware for that type of stuff.

Before you get all defensive on my behind, I'm not dissing them. If every cent they have goes into their development rather than how they present themselves? I'm all for it. As I said, I'm pretty impressed with what they have achieved since taking over Sturmovik. If I was to try and verify your claim that they have an actual office etc. however, their webpage would give me no information whatsoever - except that they've made RoF and now Il2 and a statement of intent by their head honcho.

That at least, does not appear like a professional, settled in dev house in the slightest. Their product pages at least are much more professional.

Last edited:
Double post ahoi!

Can we include Rise of Flight discussion in this thread, seeing as it's technically the predecessor to the Il2 BoX series and some of its content will eventually be merged into the BoX client?

I'm stuck on the sixth tutorial mission of RoF, but have a lot of input from Kommemiute for how to better approach it. Only so far I've avoided actually tackling it again. Instead, I managed to play a bit of online training in RoF yesterday with somebody else. Personally, I had a blast, but I fear they might've gotten a little frustrated with the terrible visibility from the cockpit of the SPAD included in the free client.

Eventually, I'd like to start a Coop-campaign, which apparently works using Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator, but I'll have to give it a closer look to see how it works. Has anybody tried somethign similar?

Last edited:
Double post ahoi!

Can we include Rise of Flight discussion in this thread, seeing as it's technically the predecessor to the Il2 BoX series and some of its content will eventually be merged into the BoX client?

I'm stuck on the sixth tutorial mission of RoF, but have a lot of input from Kommemiute for how to better approach it. Only so far I've avoided actually tackling it again. Instead, I managed to play a bit of online training in RoF yesterday with somebody else. Personally, I had a blast, but I fear they might've gotten a little frustrated with the terrible visibility from the cockpit of the SPAD included in the free client.

Eventually, I'd like to start a Coop-campaign, which apparently works using Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator[/URL, but I'll have to give it a closer look to see how it works]. Has anybody tried somethign similar?

Sure, it's a part of the IL series kind of :)

Goose4291

Banned
I'd need to find my disks, but would be well up for some IL-2.

I once ran an alterna-history campaign, where the Royal Navy was fending off the Japanese Empire singlehandedly.

Good times.

I must admit, I've never played RoF multiplayer...never really got into the PvP in aeroplanes thing in the slightest. I didn't realise that PWCG allowed a co-op mode either...which is more to my taste.

I didn't realise that PWCG allowed a co-op mode either...which is more to my taste.

Yeah, that's about my thingking as well. Not that I would mind playing PvP, at least with a groud that is. But I really lack any practive in flight sims, so I fear I might drag the whole team down. Playing cooperative campaigns missions sounds like a much more relaxing prospect. I can only repeat: I think it's a pity that these games' campaigns seemingly don't offer a cooperative online experience by default.

Yeah, that's about my thingking as well. Not that I would mind playing PvP, at least with a groud that is. But I really lack any practive in flight sims, so I fear I might drag the whole team down. Playing cooperative campaigns missions sounds like a much more relaxing prospect. I can only repeat: I think it's a pity that these games' campaigns seemingly don't offer a cooperative online experience by default.

I'm about the same...albeit I have played and still play a fair few flight sims. I'm simply not interested in the reality or complexity of DCS and the like, more the experience and immersion...hence why I tend to play offline with PWCG and still prefer RoF to IL2 BoS.

I have dabbled with BoS online, always flying as a gunner in someone's crew since my attention span with opening and shutting radiators and general piloting skill without target lock (Still can't get my Tobii 4c to work in BoS or RoF) or simplified flight physics tends to be lacking...I want the feeling of being able to fly a warplane, not the experience...if that makes any sense.

I spent a few hours flying as gunner in the ME110, JU57, JU88 and HE111 in BoS with a fairly decent pilot which was an absolutely top drawer experience for me...so, if anyone needs a very contented and decent gunner or bomb aimer...I've got plenty of free time [yesnod]

I'll agree that the lack of a scripted campaign mode...although a short version was added with the Battle of Moscow DLC... still prevents IL2 taking over from RoF or Cliffs of Dover where I can play the very short scripted campaign there.

I'm up for some RoF co-op campaign since I can chuck the aircraft around without having to wonder if my prop pitch is set or the radiator cowl is open or shut :)

Last edited:

You can play with friends and do campaigns, in BoS multiplayer you got the option if o remember correct, not by my PC right now so can't check.

The DangerDogs are moving to BoX although we havnt got a time table. We still fly 1946 twice a week with CloD on Thursdays. If anyone fancies some HSFX coops look here http://dangerdogz.com/forums/ BoX is going to have some form of coop in the next few weeks when Kuban is released.

Last edited:
I haven't even progressed beyond mapping the basical bindings and it's certainly no VR experience, but tripple screen + TrackIR still feels terrific in Il2 and the GTX970 can handle it well enough:

[video=youtube;CGrXGEtGz6w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGrXGEtGz6w[/video]

Three 24'' screens may be a bit "ghetto" in terms of what other people do with their "sim rigs", but being limited to the desk, they're just fine. Just have to pull them towards me somewhat, as the HOTAS adds some distance to the seating position from the desk, that a Keyboard + Mouse game doesn't require.

Last edited:
Il2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz has been released. As far as I undertsand, it's the old Cliffs of Dover merged with all the updates Team Fusion has done to the game. See the Announcement:

Dear Pilots,

1C Game Studios, in partnership with Team Fusion Simulations, is proud to announce the release of a newly updated and improved BLITZ edition of the IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover!

As announced previously, 1CGS has partnered with Team Fusion Simulations to codify and improve their previous mod work and make it an official part of Dover. The release of BLITZ is part of the overall plan to release additional products for what we are calling the Dover Series. The Dover Series will co-exist beside our Great Battles Series. The two series will not be compatible with each other and likely cover different theaters of the war for the foreseeable future, but together both series will give you many options for gameplay and awesome content to enjoy.

How to Get BLITZ?

All current owners of Cliffs of Dover Classic will receive BLITZ for FREE in their Steam Library starting today. You just need to install to play. It may already be there waiting for you. If you don't already own Cliffs of Dover you can purchase from the Steam store or from our Official Web Store. If you buy from the Sturmovik web store, you will receive a Steam key that must be activated on Steam.

IMPORTANT NOTE: BLITZ is only compatible with Steam and cannot be run without Steam due to its original design.

From December 14th until January 4th BLITZ will be on sale for 25% OFF. The regular price after the special will be $24.99.

This apparently constitutes a rebranding of the Cliffs of Dover game, as the il2sturmovik.com store now lists CoD as its own series and far as I've heard, Team Fusion plans to develop an Africa campaign expansion to CoD, which will be released as payed addon.

Now the three Il2 series look like this:

• Il2 1946 - First generation of the series, all addons consolidated into one massively content rich, yet technically outdated sim. All big theatres of WW2 covered somewhat, massive mods available.
  • Il2 Cliffs of Dover Series - Since the Team Fusion re-release hopefully not as much of a trainwreck anymore as it was at release 2011. Technically also somewhat outdated if I go by videos, but less so than Il2 1946. Only Il2 game with clickable cockpits. Currently only covers Battle of Britain scenario.
  • Il2 Great Battles Series - Technically most modern entry in the series (also: most expensive), engine descended from Rise of Flight, offers VR support, limited playable tanks available. Currently only covers WW2 eastern front, but announced addons will expand into late war western front, expand the controllable tanks roster and even include WW1 content in the client.

[video=youtube;U8kZSqQ4ql0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8kZSqQ4ql0[/video]

Last edited:
IL2 CoD after the updates is really fun and great I enjoy flying in this sim, you even got clickable cockpits.
Gonna pop in today and fly around a bit.

Last edited:
Although I already own and play CoD with the Team Fusion mods, I just added the updated 'blitz' since it was on the cheap. Of course, I paid for it before I realised I already had it for free [sad] Maybe I'll contact support to put the cash towards Battle of Kuban or something...

Whilst on the 1C website, I noticed the new western Europe bomber campaign...might get that at some point.

Last edited:
Unfortunately I lack the ability to create any content regarding multiplayer/SP in RoF. However I would love to play it with you guys :)
How does the server part work? would you need to rent a server and use that as host?

So do I, but the way I understand it, PWCG runs in the background and generates a dynamic campaign for you. According to a forum post I linked earlier, it can do so as well for coop missions. That's what I'd like to do. If I understand this correctly, no rented server is necessary, but rather one of the players runs the campaign generator on their machine, which doubles as server - just like somebody would open a server with a mission list in the game. I've yet to try it though.

As well as find the time to do so. Sometime between Christmas and new year or early next year I might find some time again.

Whilst on the 1C website, I noticed the new western Europe bomber campaign...might get that at some point.

What campaign is that? Are you talking about the new "Battle of Bodenplatte" expansion preorder or something different?

Although I already own and play CoD with the Team Fusion mods, I just added the updated 'blitz' since it was on the cheap. Of course, I paid for it before I realised I already had it for free [sad] Maybe I'll contact support to put the cash towards Battle of Kuban or something...

where was that??

Edit: Yeah that's the BoB add-on :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately I lack the ability to create any content regarding multiplayer/SP in RoF. However I would love to play it with you guys :)
How does the server part work? would you need to rent a server and use that as host?
If you choose multiplayer you get a selection of multiplayer servers, the DangerDogz server is popular ;)
The Bodenplatte will be out late 2018 and is an add on for Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban

Last edited:
If you choose multiplayer you get a selection of multiplayer servers, the DangerDogz server is popular ;)
The Bodenplatte will be out late 2018 and is an add on for Battle of Stalingrad/Moscow/Kuban

Yes but most are PvP, what some of us want is PVE coop game play.

Top Bottom