I'll confess. I haven't logged into Horizons since Odyssey dropped until now....

Apalar 6 - near the Toussaint Engineering Base.

there I was merrily shooting pirates and scavs and skimmers and robbing the place. Had to move away from the base so I could recall my ship at the end.
I made a mistake. I fell in a crevasse and being an icy world - that was it. Couldn't drive up the slopes, couldn't get out and my poor ship had nowhere to land.

So. I did "the thing". I tried logging in to Horizons.
I reappeared on a flat landscape with bunches of identically shaped rocks strewn around. It was beige. It looked naff.

I drove for a few hundred m and then relogged in to Odyssey and was halfway up a cliff. I slid back down to the bottom - handbrake was on.... panic ensured.

Needless to say, I'm not sore about that at all - my driving and awareness was clearly poop.

HOWEVER - the difference in the terrains is chalk and cheese. The Horizons landscape is BORING. The Odyssey one is far far better.
I know this isn't everyone else's experience, but for me, in this place, on this planet.... the difference is pronounced and it's excellent.

Whilst I acknowledge that people think that the new planetary tech isn't as good - for MY part - It is MUCH better.... just different.

1626027832917.png

1626027931454.png

I definitely think the good parts of Odyssey are better than the good parts of Horizon, planet tech wise. But I also think the bad parts of Odyssey are worse than the bad parts of Horizons (again, focusing on planet tech). Odyssey wins at producing lovely stills, but it can fall apart when it's in motion (inflating mountains, pop-in and out, broken textures, dancing shadows, etc). Personally I prefer smooth and "boring" (Horizons) over pretty but jerky janky (Odyssey). Maybe someday we'll have both pretty and smooth. Let me know when that happens, and I'll get excited again.

When I read people complaining about how garbage the new tech planet surfaces are, If you listen to them all the planets are the same and there is repetition everywhere.
And then they go and tell everyone how Horizons was much better.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Not all have that view. Not all the planets are tiled, although an awful lot are. The "tiled" areas are in fact, awesome IMO, its just a shame that it can also be the same in 10 different spots on the same planet and even the same on other planets that share the same asset. I have purposefully flown down to a few and this held true. Sometimes there is blending with other tiles / height variations, which allows them to be different enough at ground level. The assets themselves look great! Horizons, well the thing with horizons is, yeah it may not look that great, but there was truly unique things to find out there, with Odyssey, its pretty much limited in scope, similar to stations, outposts, concourses and planetary bases (which have different layouts, but the same internals)

I quite like the Odyssey planets. Currently about 13,000 lightyears into an exploration trip, stopping at planets every few systems. Haven't found any repeating terrain yet, but have found planets that I find more colourful and interesting than those in Horizons. Sad that they turn into a blocky mush of pop-in when you're in supercruise, because they're pretty nice once you approach the surface.

I quite like the Odyssey planets. Currently about 13,000 lightyears into an exploration trip, stopping at planets every few systems. Haven't found any repeating terrain yet, but have found planets that I find more colourful and interesting than those in Horizons. Sad that they turn into a blocky mush of pop-in when you're in supercruise, because they're pretty nice once you approach the surface.
That's good to hear and lucky you, but I see them regularly and have seen too many, it's off putting.
I've been planet scanning / hopping in Odyssey since release and they are in abundance.

However, there is also a lot of cherry picking going on from both sides when it comes to screenshots.
I mean, I have seen planets way way worse than horizons in Odyssey, but I have also seen way way better too.

There's a lot of great planets and features in odyssey and if large scale (continent sized) tiling on a single planet didn't exist and all render bugs where squished, I'm sure it would be awesome, even if the same assets can be seen on other planets, perhaps with colour variations or blending with other assets / terrain gen.

The thing is, regardless of individual comparisons "hey look, x is better than y" there is an issue and there is evidence to the fact.

there I was merrily shooting pirates and scavs and skimmers and robbing the place. Had to move away from the base so I could recall my ship at the end.
I made a mistake. I fell in a crevasse and being an icy world - that was it. Couldn't drive up the slopes, couldn't get out and my poor ship had nowhere to land.

I reappeared on a flat landscape with bunches of identically shaped rocks strewn around. It was beige. It looked naff.

I drove for a few hundred m and then relogged in to Odyssey and was halfway up a cliff. I slid back down to the bottom - handbrake was on.... panic ensured.

Needless to say, I'm not sore about that at all - my driving and awareness was clearly poop.

HOWEVER - the difference in the terrains is chalk and cheese. The Horizons landscape is BORING. The Odyssey one is far far better.
I know this isn't everyone else's experience, but for me, in this place, on this planet.... the difference is pronounced and it's excellent.

Whilst I acknowledge that people think that the new planetary tech isn't as good - for MY part - It is MUCH better.... just different.

View attachment 249357

View attachment 249359
On foot & in the SRV the new terrain is excellent in Odyssey, I liked driving the SRV in Horizons a lot and where the terrain looks dull in Odyssey logging into Horizons it's usually dull there too so up close & at slow speed Odyssey is a clear winner in my book. Framerate should be better but there's nothing wrong with what it looks like, draw distances and while shadows aren't perfect (I have reduced both settings to medium for Odyssey) they aren't popping & wriggling & I'm happy enough with that.

However on final approach to a planet in Odyssey, or flying over the terrain at reasonable speed Odyssey is stuttery and often unsightly. Draw distances, pop-in and LoD switching are awful, and the framerate is bad.

There is still a lot of optimisation work to do.

Last edited:
Really does depend what you're looking for, I guess. Odyssey can meet some needs, but it's unable to meet others. Glad you're enjoying it. Wish I could.

Here's some cherry picking

Odyssey looks great!
4QP2yEU.png

Below: If there's tiling.. I don't care because its not in my face obvious.
HbMof3z.jpg

zTPZUaz.jpg

Odyssey looks poop!
vlOa8TD.jpg

RHsBAWo.jpg

Below: This does look great, if only it wasn't tiling, but it is, so in the poop bin it goes :(
7Hx6oNe.jpg

View attachment 249357

View attachment 249359
If we compare two pictures:

Cockpit looks more visible in Horizon.
Part of UI is missing in Odyssey blend in with the terribly white light. The UI is also missing the word "The Shady Lady " above info, in the top right corner.
The terrain lightning is much more pleasent to look at in Horizon. That mix of very dark and very bright light is just hiddeous in Odyssey.( Seriously why did they changed it? )

If you interested you can look in to this topic to see what they did to Jameson Crash site in Odyssey: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/dear-frontier-dont-downgrade-known-places.585499/
I couldn't believe it, so i went there to check it out my self, and it was true.

I've got my headlights on full on an ice planet... Of course it is bright! Ever tried driving in heavy snow with your headlights on?

Looks FAR better to me when playing in Odyssey. I always have the option to switch the lights down or use night vision....

Last edited:
Ps this wasn't an invitation to argue
It was quite simply trying to point out that that particular planet looks significantly better in Odyssey than it does in Horizons. By light years.

Top Bottom