I'm about to be a naughty relogging boi - Stop me please.

TLDR for a busy CM:
  • I don't know where to get EDO engineer mats from, the game doesn't tell me. (unlike ship mats)
  • Trading data would help stop the grind. (like the ship mats)
  • A rep system would allow players to do what they like to unlock engineers - while nudging them to other areas of the game.

I'm currently unlocking the EDO engineers.
To do this I've taken a fairly relaxed approach of wondering around, playing the game and gathering mats as I go.
I've got a few op polls, 13 by playing organically, and a 5 by "grinding". Except it wasn't really a "grind", I was happily resetting an instance, then sneaking in, and working out the optimal path to take to check data terminals, with the occasional sneaky kill.
I'll finish that off soon enough.

After that it's time for "Settlement Defence Plans". I have 0.
This is after playing EDO organically from launch, now it's true that for quite sometime the odds of them spawning was next to nothing.

What I need to play organically is to know roughly where they spawn / drop. There isn't anything in game to tell me this.
It might be that I need to go to military bases or something? But if the spawn rate is low, then just turning up and looting 1 time means I might not get confirmation that I'm on the correct track.
So maybe I need to loot a base several times, but then I still might not know if I'm doing this the right way.

Other have informed me that I need to find a crashed satellite, and keep on relogging. Eventually I'll get some.
I think it would be better if the game tells a player where to get items, (like for ship mats). Let data be tradeable, and have an intermediate "rep" system for EDO engineers.

Rep system would work like this:
SDFs +10 point of rep each,
some other data + 5.
Doing missions for the eng +1.

When you get to 100 or whatever the engineer unlocks.

Tonight I shall finish getting the op polls, then I'm going to find a crashed satellite..

Don't worry, I heard one of the CM did it on stream not so long ago :)

Hopefully, some players are going to explain to you how wrong you are, and how to have fun properly.

Sidenote, relogging doesn't work for EDO settlement grind. You need to supercruise to reset them (just supercruise and drop from it, it's enough).

I've seen @sallymorganmoore about, so shes not on holiday (I get terrible pinging people on holiday anxiety) - A small amount of feedback, with easy to access bullet points (tm).
I feel the same, but if you've seen them here today, don't feel bad! It's literally their job. You wouldn't feel bad talking to a receptionist on entering a building would you?

The engineering in Odyssey has taken several steps backwards.

In Horizons you get notes on where to look for a specific material/data.
In Horizons you can trade everything, even data.
Mats in Horizons drop in 3s.

All the above points are a result of direct feedback from players throughout the years of gameplay.

If FDev values the players’ feedback that much then I have no idea why they decided to simply throw all this away and make the engineering significantly worse.

simply throw all this away and make the engineering significantly worse.
Yes, I have really wondered about this myself. Why this decision was made, with all of the stuff that happened to engineering in Horz forgotten. You really have to wonder if it is the bean counters making the calls now and not the people who know how to do this stuff (Devs and Programmers). Seems to happen far to often in the gaming industry.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
I've seen @sallymorganmoore about, so shes not on holiday (I get terrible pinging people on holiday anxiety) - A small amount of feedback, with easy to access bullet points (tm).

I'm hereee (somewhere ;)) - hello! Beautifully written, this. Thanks for considering a very "jump about, let's get through the busiest day of the week - Monday" brain like mine with this :)
No seriously, all very valid feedback - thank you.

I'm hereee (somewhere ;)) - hello! Beautifully written, this. Thanks for considering a very "jump about, let's get through the busiest day of the week - Monday" brain like mine with this :)
No seriously, all very valid feedback - thank you.
On the subject of gathering materials, Sally... I'm not mad about murdering people. :) I mean, criminals and villains, no problem at all, but during the Alpha there was a fair amount of talk about the need for a non-lethal take down option, which I would have thought would be relatively easy to implement. Also, and in support of that point, it would be cool if there was the option to do missions against Criminal organisations - for example, when my Covert Heist goes pear shaped, and I have to resort to lethal force to recover the situation - or just attempt to shoot my way out of there, I'm murdering a bunch of innocent scientists, and hard working Security guards. BUT........ if they were criminals, it would be like James Bond taking down the despicable criminal organisation by whatever means necessary. Do you see what I mean?

Again, easy for me to say, but I would have thought, fairly easy to implement. What do you reckon?

On the subject of gathering materials, Sally... I'm not mad about murdering people. :) I mean, criminals and villains, no problem at all, but during the Alpha there was a fair amount of talk about the need for a non-lethal take down option, which I would have thought would be relatively easy to implement. Also, and in support of that point, it would be cool if there was the option to do missions against Criminal organisations - for example, when my Covert Heist goes pear shaped, and I have to resort to lethal force to recover the situation - or just attempt to shoot my way out of there, I'm murdering a bunch of innocent scientists, and hard working Security guards. BUT........ if they were criminals, it would be like James Bond taking down the despicable criminal organisation by whatever means necessary. Do you see what I mean?

Again, easy for me to say, but I would have thought, fairly easy to implement. What do you reckon?
Issue is game ratings.

Every character has a gun, therefore you never are shooting an unarmed person.

When you hit them with the stun gun, it kills them. Having someone that is stunned and then you shoot their unconscious body, would automatically raise the rating of the game up, so is why the electrical gun kills everyone.

How easy to implement is not a factor, it is PEGI and other organizations that control the ratings of the game that prevent this. Odyssey is already a higher rating then the base game because it shows the death of humans, and not just a ship exploding.

the option to do missions against Criminal organisations
I've got some really good news for you about the moral character of the minor factions in the setting, then: they're all criminal organisations.

Even the "nice" "democratic" ones will quite happily murder their political opponents, peaceful campaigners, and anyone else who gets in their way.

It's an edge case, certainly, but there's no requirement to fit weapons to a loadout, so you can at least in theory shoot an unarmed player.

I've got some really good news for you about the moral character of the minor factions in the setting, then: they're all criminal organisations.

Even the "nice" "democratic" ones will quite happily murder their political opponents, peaceful campaigners, and anyone else who gets in their way.

It's an edge case, certainly, but there's no requirement to fit weapons to a loadout, so you can at least in theory shoot an unarmed player.
Every suit has the energy link, so all suits have a weapon

1. Relog farm those SDPs like your life depended on it (FD, please change SDPs to 5 required and massively up their chance to appear at security data ports)
  2. For the rest, play the game (literally just consume the content as it appears in front of you, including learning what you can and cannot do in a settlement of various types and looking at the mission board because it shows you where to get around 50% of the mats you need)
Done.

1. Relog farm those SDPs like your life depended on it (FD, please change SDPs to 5 required and massively up their chance to appear at security data port
I think that you play the game more than me (I can only chuck in around 2 hours at night).

Have you tried finding SDFs after fdev altered the spawn rates?

I'm wondering if military bases will spawn them?

Issue is game ratings.

When you hit them with the stun gun, it kills them. Having someone that is stunned and then you shoot their unconscious body, would automatically raise the rating of the game up, so is why the electrical gun kills everyone.

How easy to implement is not a factor, it is PEGI and other organizations that control the ratings of the game that prevent this. Odyssey is already a higher rating then the base game because it shows the death of humans, and not just a ship exploding.
PEGI et al do not control the rating of the game. Frontier as publisher do, by simply deciding what to market it as. Fun fact: even when the ratings are violated, those rating trademark holding joint organizations do nothing. The closest contact they have with any given game is generally storing a form listing how the publisher decided to claim the game would have been rated had someone tried to.

There are many missions against illegal organizations in game and the game tells you they're illegal organizations on the mission screen.

Top Bottom