I'm done or "So long and thanks for all the fish."

Given I only recently got back from a trip to the edge of the core and then Colonia (to get my name on a bunch of ELW's, water worlds, etc that I'd discovered but wanted to also get the surface mapping tag for) - which I originally started last year - there's not a chance in hell I'll head out again so soon. ; -)

I'm mostly trying to finally rank up to rear admiral (70% post captain at the moment), so I obviously need to be in and out of stations on a regular basis, which means I'm seeing the very worst of the performance issues.

Ever since getting the game it was the plan to visit A* for the first time in the best and priciest ship my character could own, which means the Corvette. Maybe the performance issues will be fixed before I hit rear admiral, but if not I'll certainly be enjoying the respite as I head out to A*.
I just got back from Beagle Point and the DW2 expedition! But seeing the performance I quickly escaped to the Heart Nebula. 😄

I'm sorry to hear this and hate to see you leave SW but it's perfectly understandable.
If Fdev keeps on going the way they do I guess it's just a matter of time untill more long time players call it quits.
I still keep coming back to ED but the latest update realy put a dent in my enthousiasm, which was already pretty diminished thru time.
I find myself playing other games way more often then I used to, today I got me Red Dead Redemption 2 and am looking forward to play it and forget about ED for a while.

I play games for fun, when the fun/frustration scale tilts the wrong way to often or to long then I'll be gone in no time too.

This actually ^ I hit the fun vs. frustration threshold. The sad thing is that there is NO OTHER GAME I want to fire up more than Elite: Dangerous.... that is until it is actually fired up.
Yeah I'd rather play ED too but not in this state, and this state has been going on for to long imho.
The bugs gallore and half baked features just don't cut it anymore.
I still fire it up occasionally but I'm glad I've got some other games that I realy enjoy too.
I wish Fdev would concentrate more on quality instead of adding new features which are only developed half way untill the next feature presents itself.

Btw, Red Dead Redemption 2 looks very nice.

Btw, Red Dead Redemption 2 looks very nice.
While I agree, RDR2 is a bit "familiar" to me personally (it pretty much mirrors my real life), so I've been looking for genre-specific replacements for ED. Subnautica is doing a remarkable job at that right now, as submarines are surprisingly similar to spaceships - more so than horses. I'm hoping Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will also scratch the same itches. Even Everspace may offer some fun 6DoF pew pew.

Sadly NMS doesn't scratch the itch, because it is just too unrealistic, to the point of silliness, for my own tastes. I enjoyed it at first, but its Bugs Bunny version of space just didn't hold my attention long.
Yeah I'd rather play ED too but not in this state, and this state has been going on for to long imho.
The bugs gallore and half baked features just don't cut it anymore.
Same here. There is no game like ED except ED, but Frontier has taken a good thing and ruined it over time, and I don't see that changing.

Other than the restock bug, I really haven't noticed any of the issues other players are experiencing. My game is functioning normal for the part, I had a few glitches mining where the detonation graph didn't appear, but nothing a game reload didn't solve.
Yeah I am having no issues at all except for the increased rumble in my controller. Not sure if it's because I only have the base game, I am still pretty new to the game so have not bought Horizons yet.

While I agree, RDR2 is a bit "familiar" to me personally (it pretty much mirrors my real life), so I've been looking for genre-specific replacements for ED. Subnautica is doing a remarkable job at that right now, as submarines are surprisingly similar to spaceships - more so than horses. I'm hoping Rebel Galaxy Outlaw will also scratch the same itches. Even Everspace may offer some fun 6DoF pew pew.

Sadly NMS doesn't scratch the itch, because it is just too unrealistic, to the point of silliness, for my own tastes. I enjoyed it at first, but its Bugs Bunny version of space just didn't hold my attention long.

Same here. There is no game like ED except ED, but Frontier has taken a good thing and ruined it over time, and I don't see that changing.
I've bought Subnautica at the start of the preview on Xbox but it still suffers from a save corrupting bug.
I'm still waiting for them to fix that since I don't feel much for investing hours into the game again and then loosing it due to a broken save game.

I like RPGs too and realy enjoy games like Assassin's Creed Origins and Oddysey.
I've played Red Dead Redemption 1 a lot on the 360 so I had an idea what to expect, just got into RDR2 a couple hours but so far it looks pretty nice.

I'm looking forward to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw too but there are no plans yet to release it on Xbox.
I still haven't finished Starpoint Gemini Warlords either and a new itteration is coming this year too which will be more 1st person like ED, looks promising.

I've bought Subnautica at the start of the preview on Xbox but it still suffers from a save corrupting bug.
After all this time? I used to say that ED was the only game I own that was so buggy, but Subnautica has recently earned second place. I figured it's because it is a new title on PS4, but if XBox version still has major bugs.. Thankfully most of the PS4 bugs are minor visual glitches, and these mostly are base-related.

However, no game I own is anywhere near the utter disaster that ED is. 😞

After all this time? I used to say that ED was the only game I own that was so buggy, but Subnautica has recently earned second place. I figured it's because it is a new title on PS4, but if XBox version still has major bugs.. Thankfully most of the PS4 bugs are minor visual glitches, and these mostly are base-related.

However, no game I own is anywhere near the utter disaster that ED is. 😞
I'm a gamer since the late 70's but I've never owned a game with as many bugs and reoccurring bugs as ED.
ED was my dream come true being the modern itteration of the original Elite, I was incredibly excited when it came to Xbox but thru the years it has become more and more frustrating to play and the different features are mostly just half developed, such a shame, it could have been so much more.

Don't get me wrong, I got my money's worth out of ED and had my share of fun too but the more the game got bigger so did the frustration increase along side it.
I realy don't understand Fdev's priorities, some bugs are so obvious, a half hour of gameplay would've brought them up.
You can't fool me into believing they didn't know of these bugs prior to releasing the latest and earlier updates and I take a pass on being their testplatform.
I play games, if I wanted to develop them I'd have choosen that as my profession.
Bugs happen, that's okay as long as they're being fixed but I cant colaborate with the way Fdev handles these bugs, prior or after the release of each update.

Anyhow, it's just sad to see people go, either temporarily or permanently (OP included). Given its long-running nature Elite has become more for me than just a game. I have got new friends via the game (even if just through the internet and not in real) and everyone who plays it is like a member of the same world for me. I wouldn't say family but not strangers either. This world, this galaxy connects us and it's a feeling that only games of this nature can provide. Since I don't play any other MMOs or similar games Elite is one of a kind for me - always has been and it's my favourite game of all time. This is why it's so sad to see both the developers struggle with its development, or at least polish, and to see players leaving this one of a kind world.

On one hand, I can't wait for the late 2020 update. On the other, I'm scared of it. With all the new features, how many bugs will it introduce? Will it even completely break the game? Render it unplayable? Unenjoyable? Will it extinguish my enthusiasm towards it? I don't want this game ever end (ok, being selfish, at least not in my lifetime). But I also don't want myself be disappointed in it so much so that I put it down permanently. I don't want to leave. But I also don't want to put up with so many problems that I would feel I have no choice. Like OP has now. Because let's face it, living and breathing one game is awesome, but it also makes one more sensitive to its problems. Like a relationship. You get more frustrated with even smaller problems in time. I don't know. I feel 2020 will be a dividing line in many respects. I hope Elite will be not one of them.

DDastardly00

D
I'm still waiting for them to fix that since I don't feel much for investing hours into the game again and then loosing it due to a broken save game.

I like RPGs too and realy enjoy games like Assassin's Creed Origins and Oddysey.
I've played Red Dead Redemption 1 a lot on the 360 so I had an idea what to expect, just got into RDR2 a couple hours but so far it looks pretty nice.

I'm looking forward to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw too but there are no plans yet to release it on Xbox.
I still haven't finished Starpoint Gemini Warlords either and a new itteration is coming this year too which will be more 1st person like ED, looks promising.
Sounds like we have similar taste in games, I have RDR2, it's a tad slower than RDR1 and the survival element to the game is even more important than RDR1 is, but its still very similar in most other ways. The main difference is that it's even more immersive, almost to a fault really. I made it to the 3rd chapter but then I started playing Elite again and have barely touched it since, same thing with AC Origins. One of these days I'll go back to them I always wanted to try Starpoint Gemini but Elite always got in the way of that too. Subnautica is another one I almost bought many times but didn't.

Given its long-running nature Elite has become more for me than just a game.
But it is just still a game. And like everything else in life, to quote Paul Bettany's the Vision [from a criminally underrated MCU entry]... ; "But a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts".

Most games don't have wholly finite lifespans, but Elite does, and so all you can do is enjoy it while it lasts.
Since I don't play any other MMOs or similar games Elite is one of a kind for me - always has been and it's my favourite game of all time.
I don't really count it as an MMO for me, personally, but ditto'd, I don't play any other shared universe galaxy game. Could never call it my all time fave, as countless other games do things it cannot and will not, and vice versa. It is unique, which just means it has to be appreciated whilst it's here.
On one hand, I can't wait for the late 2020 update. On the other, I'm scared of it.
Eh, what'll be will be. Elite's evolution hasn't exactly been predictable, so I'll just roll with the bugs, bad design elements, and whatever great new things will be added.
Because let's face it, living and breathing one game is awesome, but it also makes one more sensitive to its problems. / You get more frustrated with even smaller problems in time.
And that's not healthy, and people should really be more self-aware of that. Take breaks, play other games (I'm not specifically referring to you personally, btw, as I've no idea how you play or engage with the game's ups and downs). It also works to remind you how distinct an experience Elite is, and so all of those smaller obsessive issues don't matter so much.

DDastardly00

D
But it is just still a game. And like everything else in life, to quote Paul Bettany's the Vision [from a criminally underrated MCU entry]... ; "But a thing isn't beautiful because it lasts".

Most games don't have wholly finite lifespans, but Elite does, and so all you can do is enjoy it while it lasts.
I don't really count it as an MMO for me, personally, but ditto'd, I don't play any other shared universe galaxy game. Could never call it my all time fave, as countless other games do things it cannot and will not, and vice versa. It is unique, which just means it has to be appreciated whilst it's here.
Eh, what'll be will be. Elite's evolution hasn't exactly been predictable, so I'll just roll with the bugs, bad design elements, and whatever great new things will be added.
And that's not healthy, and people should really be more self-aware of that. Take breaks, play other games (I'm not specifically referring to you personally, btw, as I've no idea how you play or engage with the game's ups and downs). It also works to remind you how distinct an experience Elite is, and so all of those smaller obsessive issues don't matter so much.
We could all use a breather from something now and then. I didn't mean to take a year plus off from Elite, but then modded Skyrim happened, both on Xbox and on PC. I had over 500 hours into each playthrough, literally completed just about everything, all quests, side quests, and in the process it ate all of my other gaming time. Sure, there were some other games in there somewhere FH3 and such, but the bottom line is, I came back to Elite completely refreshed, it almost felt like a brand new game to me while still being an old comfortable hat. Yes, breaks are good, very good. I'm not saying to take a year off or anything, but a good month certainly wouldn't hurt.

I just got back from Beagle Point and the DW2 expedition! But seeing the performance I quickly escaped to the Heart Nebula. 😄
I did exactly the same thing. Docked after a Coalsack, pelican, north american tour, cashed in after enduring a stuttering docking slideshow, then quickly headed off to Sag A in the hope that by the time I get back it'll be patched and fixed. Now is a great time to rank up the explorer rating!

I did exactly the same thing. Docked after a Coalsack, pelican, north american tour, cashed in after enduring a stuttering docking slideshow, then quickly headed off to Sag A in the hope that by the time I get back it'll be patched and fixed. Now is a great time to rank up the explorer rating!
Exactly what I'm doing after the frustration of the update... great minds think alike..lol (Up to 'Pathfinder' from a standing start!*)

Update * Second Commander Account... triple Elite on t'other

Attachment is a human trait and we're not machines. Whatever you do and invest yourself in for a long time you'll feel it part of you. Today's games are way immersive enough to be invested in. They can represent people, friends, whole communities, good and bad memories. I know some tremendously good people thanks to Elite. Even just for this it has a special place in my heart already. :)

This is proving to be harder than I thought it would be.
Quitting?

I was sad, but not entirely surprised to read your OP here. For me, one of the things that's keeping me on Kumay and First Great Planetary Expedition is the knowledge that, when I finally complete the expedition, I have a sense that I too may finally run out of steam and enthusiasm for the game. It really feels like the game (at least for the old guard of players who've been around here since the early days) is winding down. Organisations lile the Buckyball Racing Club who've kept my interest since the beginning have gone into semi-retirement, DW2 is basically over, discoveries of new things (like new stellar phenomena) is slowing and/or becoming unsurprising, the Thargoid story has ground to a halt and Frontier are doing little in terms of either new game content or community engagement to rekindle my interest. As far as I can see the new Interstellar Initiatives is the dampest of damp squibs, poorly thought out and implemented ... about the only source of inspiration I'm getting right now (in terms of something that makes me want to get off Kumay and play the game again) is from Isinona's new video series - ironically a source of inspiration for me since the beginning (and I'm willing to bet that even he won't be able to keep it up for long).

Ho hum ... for now I still have about another 20 days of circumnavigation left to go and then I do still have a list of things on my long standing bucket list that may yet keep me engaged for a few more months. But as for keeping me here until the end of 2020? ... I'm currently seriously doubtfull.

Top Bottom