im looking for a thread from 2015...

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
where FDEV explained there stance on combat Logging, and how they interpret within the TOS... it seems to have disappeared

With the forum update links format has changed aswell, so old links would be a bit wonky. If you have that old link we can try and find it.

A few important threads that I have bookmarked -- but which I hadn't checked for a while -- seem to be going to black holes this morning. I cannot tell for how long this has been the case, or whether it's deliberate or accidental.

The Wayback Machine still has this, if it's of any use. I think it's the same one babelfisch tried to link to on the current iteration of the forums, and which also goes to a black hole at time of writing.

A few important threads that I have bookmarked -- but which I hadn't checked for a while -- seem to be going to black holes this morning. I cannot tell for how long this has been the case, or whether it's deliberate or accidental.

The Wayback Machine still has this, if it's of any use. I think it's the same one babelfisch tried to link to on the current iteration of the forums, and which also goes to a black hole at time of writing.
I'm seeing the same results, older threads appear to have been nuked.

@Will Flanagan please can you take a look at resolving this?

where FDEV explained there stance on combat Logging, and how they interpret within the TOS... it seems to have disappeared
Have a read - link to TOS:

From a quick read it doesn't appear to be part of TOS or EULA. (or anything apart from a 'loose' reference to cheating which is certainly not explicit in its description)

Last edited:
I've never understood the issue here.
1. Legal: Logging by exit, wait 15 seconds, then log off.
2. Illegal: Forcing an exit by unplugging the cable, turning off wifi, alt-f4 or whatever.

Simple, no need to discuss. FD have said so officially on a few occations, in writing and live.

Of course, and it's super common sense. As a general rule, if you are wondering if what you are doing is cheating/exploiting, then it probably is.

I've never understood the issue here.
1. Legal: Logging by exit, wait 15 seconds, then log off.
2. Illegal: Forcing an exit by unplugging the cable, turning off wifi, alt-f4 or whatever.

Simple, no need to discuss. FD have said so officially on a few occations, in writing and live.
just looking for THAT in writing

Have a read - link to TOS:

From a quick read it doesn't appear to be part of TOS or EULA. (or anything apart from a 'loose' reference to cheating which is certainly not explicit in its description)
there was a post where FDEV explained it was not "part of the game" and was operating "outside of the intended design", which "is" addressed in TOS. 2015.

there was a post where FDEV explained it was not "part of the game" and was operating "outside of the intended design", which "is" addressed in TOS. 2015.
As may be. But the current version supercedes previous ones according to the Frontier website.

Good luck with turning up the post, I've been trying to find it among the myriad of Dev Posts, if I find it I'll come back and link it :)

u sir... r a Godsend. TYVM

https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/448rl8/_/czod3l9 Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/448rl8/official_clarification_on_combat_logging_from/czod3l9/

Never seen anything about it in the TOS agreement itself.

I mean, why would they ungracefully develop a game on a device with a power switch in the first place.
Lack of experience in multiplayer games, lack of research into multiplayer games, lack of foresight, or lack of ability to come up with something better given the multiplayer architecture they'd decided on using. One or many of those reasons.

Lack of experience in multiplayer games, lack of research into multiplayer games, lack of foresight, or lack of ability to come up with something better given the multiplayer architecture they'd decided on using. One or many of those reasons.
Not really, I know many multiplayer games where combat logging is possible, regardless of the architecture or experience of the developer. Probably the majority.

I guess they just don't care that much about it because they find the concept of people throwing a tantrum when others decide to stop playing with them quite silly. Maybe I am wrong though and they take it super serious.

Last edited:
Maybe I am wrong though and they take it super serious.

i think some folk are super serial about it

tenor.gif

Top Bottom