Immersive Ship Transition vs. Teleportation

Am very positive about the Starport Tour video. Overall its good. Hope the ship transition is not final. On the ED subreddit, Preem explained:

preem_choom:
"Good transition: the elevator from the main hub to the hanger

bad transition: walking into a blue circle to get into your ship

Hope thats temporary, it's the only real meh moment in the trailer.

I think there are several, every ship has either a ramp, a ladder near a rear exit or something similar. Just let those extend and let me climb them or jump up to a door, and than after entering it you get a fade too black.

There has to be a midway between going inside your ship and teleporting there. Thats why I liked the hub > hanger transition, even though it's essentially the same thing as the blue teleport circle. Just dress up the teleporting is all I'm saying."

What could be added without too much asset requirements would be some ladder or stars, depending on the ship, that you start climbing and then fade to black transition, just like getting lifted up with the SRV or getting up from your pilot seat. It has at least the implication of an action, even if the path between A and B isn't explicitly shown.

Seems a nice idea- maybe FD are thinking about 'busy work' though- how many times are you wanting to wait for the ladder to come down / hatch open before you want to get in?

I'm not against the idea, but its a fine line between adding something and pointless window dressing- its arguable that walking around the hangar is also busy work, not unless FD put NPCs there.

What could be added without too much asset requirements would be some ladder or stars, depending on the ship, that you start climbing and then fade to black transition, just like getting lifted up with the SRV or getting up from your pilot seat. It has at least the implication of an action, even if the path between A and B isn't explicitly shown.
A lot of the ships actually have a door and platform with a ladder

It'd be nice if you could walk to wherever the "natural" point of entry is (ladder etc) and then it goes to a (skippable) 3rd person view of your CMDR climbing in, then fade to black.

That said if it does stay as a blue circle, I'm that arxed

Am very positive about the Starport Tour video. Overall its good. Hope the ship transition is not final. On the ED subreddit, Preem explained:

preem_choom:

I think there are several, every ship has either a ramp, a ladder near a rear exit or something similar. Just let those extend and let me climb them or jump up to a door, and than after entering it you get a fade too black.

There has to be a midway between going inside your ship and teleporting there. Thats why I liked the hub > hanger transition, even though it's essentially the same thing as the blue teleport circle. Just dress up the teleporting is all I'm saying."
frontier got their inspiration here;

200.gif

may as well put their efforts into ship interiors and do it properly rather than hash up some half baked half way house.

preem_choom:

Personally I'm looking at that transition as merely the minimum viable functionality to get Odyssey to release. I would not be at all surprised to see both the transition updated AND ship interiors added at a later date. Not that I think we need either mind you, but I get why people want better transitions into/out of their ship plus interiors.

They did mention about us having that 'Neil Armstrong moment' when we first set foot on a moon or planet.
From what I remember Neil Armstrong didn't beam down to the surface of the moon.
A fade to black that takes you to the top of a ladder or ramp wouldn't be too difficult to do.
Exactly

It wont ever be changed. This is a quick and easy standardised method of ingress and egress that doesn't require a unique solution for each type of ship.

Once people get used to the teleport they won't make it more laborious time consuming or "immersive" because people will moan about having their time wasted.

Last edited:
It wont ever be changed. This is a quick and easy standardised method of ingress and egress that doesn't require a unique solution for each type of ship.

Once people get used to the teleport they won't make it more laborious time consuming or "immersive" becuse people will moan about having their time wasted.
They might if they decide to start on their originally envisioned 'space legs part deux' DLC.

FDev changed the System-honk-sees-all into the FSS and ignored the gnashing of teeth that ensued (my sympathies for those who hate it, I can see how it changed some player’s game for the worse), so perhaps (fingers crossed) the blue teleport is a placeholder for better things down the line and FDev will ignore those for whom the few extra seconds it would take to board our ships would be a game ending problem.

Top Bottom