Ships Imperial Clipper a niche ship?

I find this an odd ship to fit into the scheme of things. You can compare it to the other ships in 2 ways. For those that cost around 20 million credits it is difficult to see where it fits. On paper the FAS and Crusader are better choices for combat, with dedicated military slots. For cargo hauling the Type 7 can carry a lot more and is only 17 million. As an exploration ship it is hindered by a so-so base jump range, so an ASP Explorer would seem a better buy. The other class it fits into is that of medium ships, as defined by hard points, utilities, internals etc, that require a large landing pad. A class of 3 including the Type 7, Orca and Clipper. Here it much clearer. The Type 7 is the obvious choice for cargo hauling. Either the Type 7 or the Orca for exploring as both have a better base jump range. That leaves the Clipper as the combat ship. The Clipper looks most like an executive jet to me, but it can’t fit the highest quality cabins, so you can’t take it as a luxury passenger carrier. All of this makes the Clipper a bit of a Cinderella ship. It is great fun to fly being fast and very agile for its size. But if anyone asked me what is the Clipper‘s forte I would have to shrug my shoulders.

Its the best pirating ship- fast, cheap, lots of roomy cargo areas. Its also the best low cost BGS murder machine. Its also better than the T-7 because of its speed and is better armed (both being L pad only ships).
Have you got a BGS killer build you can share? Yes it is better than the T7 in terms of armament, but the Python is better than both in terms of cargo/speed/armament combo and although it costs more than either it has the edge over the Clipper in that it doesn’t require rank grind to unlock.

Have you got a BGS killer build you can share? Yes it is better than the T7 in terms of armament, but the Python is better than both in terms of cargo/speed/armament combo and although it costs more than either it has the edge over the Clipper in that it doesn’t require rank grind to unlock.

My BGS killer Killipa is basic- the idea is that its cheap, disposable (i.e. rack up as much bounties as you can and burn it). It will have G1 engineering max (if at all).

It relies on knowing your system, sec level and timings (i.e. know when to run) and is nothing special really. Its whatever you can get away with because in the end its going to be sold off.

Its prey are soft civilians or low end NPC sec (Eagles). Its armed with all medium gimballed MCs for spin time (L is far too slow to spin up). Go in, interdict and kill- depending on the sec level the response times can be long (low) or really, really short (high). Frags are excellent gank weapons but in the limited time they can be fiddly sometimes.

It won't be facing weapons that do absolute damage (like PA) because civilians and cops use MCs and lasers, so I slap in some basic E grade boosters for resistances- however thats not the point. Its you gunning some NPC down and leaving as soon as you can and not dogfighting. And when it goes sideways you can boost out quickly.

If money is no object though, this concept is pointless because you can afford better ships being burnt.

My BGS killer Killipa is basic- the idea is that its cheap, disposable (i.e. rack up as much bounties as you can and burn it). It will have G1 engineering max (if at all).

It relies on knowing your system, sec level and timings (i.e. know when to run) and is nothing special really. Its whatever you can get away with because in the end its going to be sold off.

Its prey are soft civilians or low end NPC sec (Eagles). Its armed with all medium gimballed MCs for spin time (L is far too slow to spin up). Go in, interdict and kill- depending on the sec level the response times can be long (low) or really, really short (high). Frags are excellent gank weapons but in the limited time they can be fiddly sometimes.

It won't be facing weapons that do absolute damage (like PA) because civilians and cops use MCs and lasers, so I slap in some basic E grade boosters for resistances- however thats not the point. Its you gunning some NPC down and leaving as soon as you can and not dogfighting. And when it goes sideways you can boost out quickly.

If money is no object though, this concept is pointless because you can afford better ships being burnt.
Ah ok! I was planning on using the Vulture for that scenario, for the same reasons, cheap rebuy, fast and manoeuvrable.

It's also worth noting that when the ship was introduced, cost actually mattered and it was tied for fastest ship in the game...which made it far and away the safest way to move more than about 40 tons of cargo.

It's niche has narrowed considerably (though it still has a few compelling uses), but if we only had ships that made broad sense in the very different game we have today, there would only be half a dozen ships total.

It's also worth noting that when the ship was introduced, cost actually mattered and it was tied for fastest ship in the game...which made it far and away the safest way to move more than about 40 tons of cargo.

It's niche has narrowed considerably (though it still has a few compelling uses), but if we only had ships that made broad sense in the very different game we have today, there would only be half a dozen ships total.
This is true. In its day, it was the go to ship. Especially, if you had Imperial leanings.

It is a bit niche, but the way I saw it when I was starting out, it was a fairly cheap ship for its speed and cargo capabilities, and with a few upgrades, it was a pretty decent combat ship, particularly when upgrading directly from a small ship like I did.

Years later I still love coming back to it for its speed and handling. Although of course now everything is engineered to grade 5, and though I have better ships for almost every activity, this is the one that took me from the Courier to the Fer-de-Lance, and beyond.

I had a look at it recently. Only improvement I could find over the Orca was 1 more hardpoint and the size 7 shield. Everything else is subpar.

Agreed. There are a number of ships that don’t make sense in that there are better alternatives, but we still use them. People keep telling to give up the Clipper and buy something else, but I love flying it. I do have a range of ships, but the 3 I use regularly are the Clipper, DBX and the Cobra Mk3.

Gorgeous, a great view from the cockpit and a joy to fly. I have three for differing jobs.
When people keep saying there are better ships. I can't even hear them talking.

Last edited:
The Clipper becomes useful when you want to perform all three roles that OP mentions, combat trading and exploring, with just one ship, and by half the cost.

It is a gorgeous all around performer.

I must say I made triple Elite rank with just that ship, although probably I must be the only one that has taken it that far.

What I find niche about it though is its landing gear. They are toothpicks and activate my inner goblin.
I know what you mean. They look like insect legs to me and when you see it on the ground it is as if it has just landed briefly and will leap back up into flight again in an instant.

The Clipper looks most like an executive jet to me,

Yes so they fly Business; not luxury.. You need celebrities' for that

Great ship for having fun. Otherwise there is a better ship for every task you can throw at the Clipper.

Top Bottom