Ships Imperial Clipper a niche ship?

An increase in weapon points may require an increase in the distributor.
Since the ship is considered large, I'd add a couple of utilities to it.

nacelles retract so it can fit a medium pad would feel like Christmas
1 more medium hardpoint or 2 small hardpoints or another size5 internal - any of those would be really nice too
Agreed. Another hardpoint, preferably large, but medium would do. Upgrading one of the class 4 optionals to class 5, so you don’t have to use the class 6 slot for the FSD booster. Having the wings retract in so it fits a medium pad would be the icing on the cake!

Agreed it would be a trade off on the PD you would have to select weapons mix carefully and engineer for efficiency to reduce PD load. Extra utilities would always be welcome.

Agreed. Another hardpoint, preferably large, but medium would do. Upgrading one of the class 4 optionals to class 5, so you don’t have to use the class 6 slot for the FSD booster. Having the wings retract in so it fits a medium pad would be the icing on the cake!
On reflection on optionals a 7, 6 and a 5, two 4’s, two 3’s and the rest 2’s and 1’s would be my preferred fit. Or just make them all 7’s!!

I haven’t got into PP yet. Not quite sure what you have to do. I know there is some delivering of stuff at some point to get your merits, Not sure what else. Will have to read up. Good to know the Clipper will be a handy ship for that.

Delivering stuff is one way of building up merit. That's about preparing or fortifying systems. For that part you want something with plenty of cargo space, best with some extra cargo space and, if possible some more cargo space. Also, it's utterly boring in my eyes.

What I refer to is the other way of getting merit: undermining another power. Mind you, you don't need to earn that much merit to be able to buy the PP items. So whoever you undermine will probably not even notice your activity if you stop it again after getting your merit. But based on who you work for and against who you fly, undermining either is the task of just eliminating ships of the other power or to recover goods from them.

If it's the first, you just want a regular combat ship. The Clipper can do the job, but there are plenty of better options around. But when the task is to recover goods then the Clipper provides a very interesting combination of high speed, acceptable firepower and enough internal space to bring all the equipment you need for the job.

Depends on what you add. Add a large, yes, you need size 7 distributor. But those are characteristics of Python and Krait II already, same hardpoints, boring. On the other hand, add another medium, and you have a new weapon combination that yet doesn't exist and works with a size 6 distributor. Two medium beams, one cascade hammer and two large multis, that works. With that you'd put it somewhere in the playground of FdL and Mamba, but with lesser shields, better jump range and more spacious internals.

I used to have a Clipper, but sold it because I just couldn't work out what to do with it, and I wanted to build a capable FdL for bounty hunting in, so the credits seemed better used towards that.

However, I bout a new one a few days ago which I'm fitting out for passenger missions for when I just want to cruise around and make a few credits. It's one of my favourite ships to fly just for the enjoyment of flying it, so it fits that role perfectly for me.

I used to have a Clipper, but sold it because I just couldn't work out what to do with it, and I wanted to build a capable FdL for bounty hunting in, so the credits seemed better used towards that.

However, I bout a new one a few days ago which I'm fitting out for passenger missions for when I just want to cruise around and make a few credits. It's one of my favourite ships to fly just for the enjoyment of flying it, so it fits that role perfectly for me.

Staying in with the lockdown, I've finally started working on Imperial rank. Got the Courier, lovely ship. Fast and perfect for courier missions (go figure! :p

Wasn't sure if I wanted to do more rank-up stuff, as I wasn't sure how I would use a Clipper. As per this discussion, its a niche ship plus I don't do combat.

I like your passenger ship idea (an executive jet) to just cruise around in. Thanks for the motivation.

I use my Clipper for PVP piracy and like it a lot in that role. It's definitely not a PVP combat ship but has enough speed to keep up with most anyone I want to rob, is plenty tanky if NPC cops show up, and can boost away if a miner's big brothers or PVP cops/bounty hunters show up.

Viscera,

I started pirating in my Python, but decided to try the Clipper to get more speed. I haven't regretted the change and I need to find a new role for my Python to fill.

Yep, the best Core miner out there
That's exactly what I use mine for. It's not too shabby at the other kinds of mining either.

I have a feeling that once I'm all carrier'd up I might rework mine a little, since I built it for range at first so I could trek it out to the opal hotspots and then to a sell system, but I might look into putting some chunkier shields and a bigger plant in it, since any future mining trips are likely to be a case of parking the carrier right next to whatever ring I'm going to mine, and having a separate ship for the actual selling.

Staying in with the lockdown, I've finally started working on Imperial rank. Got the Courier, lovely ship. Fast and perfect for courier missions (go figure! :p

Wasn't sure if I wanted to do more rank-up stuff, as I wasn't sure how I would use a Clipper. As per this discussion, its a niche ship plus I don't do combat.

I like your passenger ship idea (an executive jet) to just cruise around in. Thanks for the motivation.
Ranking up, if you are not grinding, to get it done, now now now; is easy.

I kind of used it as a side thing. Going somewhere? Take a couple of Imp missions. Donations are easy and effective. I have never donated more than 50K credits and there is no point, the ranking points, are no better for a million, than for 50,000. Working with many minor factions worked for me. I am a king, but can only afford a Clipper.

I will have to try pirating in the Clipper. What is your build like?

Ultima Ombra this is mine... this does have all frags as I was in a wing last time, hardpoints of choice must be different if you are alone (like 2 eff beams, 1 rail/seeker to kill drives, 1 fsd reboot missile). If you use it as a stealth build vent beams and heat sinks instead of the boosters.

Ultima Ombra this is mine... this does have all frags as I was in a wing last time, hardpoints of choice must be different if you are alone (like 2 eff beams, 1 rail/seeker to kill drives, 1 fsd reboot missile). If you use it as a stealth build vent beams and heat sinks instead of the boosters.
Thanks for the link. I will have a go doing something similar.

I will have to try pirating in the Clipper. What is your build like?

Everything is A rated except the life support & sensors. As for optional internals, I went for:

7A shield Grade 5
6A SCB
4A Interdictor
4E Cargo
3A Fuel Scoop
3A Collector Limpets
2D Module Reinforcement
2D Hull Reinforcement
1A Hatch Breaker

The weapons are large gimballed burst lasers, rapid fire & phasing sequence, and medium seeker missles with drag munitions. I really ought to change one of the seekers out for dumb fire with FSD interrupt, and if I ever unlock pack hounds I'll change out the seeker missle. It has enough firepower to strip a lot of miner's shields and shoot out their drives but is by no means a pvp combat ship.

It's not wildly engineered, but I have put effort into the thrusters, shields, shield boosters, weapons, power plant, distributor & FSD. Not sure precisely where it stands off the top of my head. The shields have over 1100 hit points, plus the SCB. It's enough staying power that, in cases where my collectors are getting shot down by PD, I've resorted to scooping while under fire from players and using my SCB to keep the shields up, before waking out.

Last edited:
All very similar to mine, I have slightly different internal set up... Mainly in sizes... 4A fuel scoop for example.

Weapons tend to run two large gimballed lasers for shields, and medium seeker missiles to take out drives. But thats against npc. Players should need a bit more effort, but learning to walk before you run is always good advice.

Top Bottom