Ships Imperial Clipper a niche ship?

I find this an odd ship to fit into the scheme of things. You can compare it to the other ships in 2 ways. For those that cost around 20 million credits it is difficult to see where it fits. On paper the FAS and Crusader are better choices for combat, with dedicated military slots. For cargo hauling the Type 7 can carry a lot more and is only 17 million. As an exploration ship it is hindered by a so-so base jump range, so an ASP Explorer would seem a better buy. The other class it fits into is that of medium ships, as defined by hard points, utilities, internals etc, that require a large landing pad. A class of 3 including the Type 7, Orca and Clipper. Here it much clearer. The Type 7 is the obvious choice for cargo hauling. Either the Type 7 or the Orca for exploring as both have a better base jump range. That leaves the Clipper as the combat ship. The Clipper looks most like an executive jet to me, but it can’t fit the highest quality cabins, so you can’t take it as a luxury passenger carrier. All of this makes the Clipper a bit of a Cinderella ship. It is great fun to fly being fast and very agile for its size. But if anyone asked me what is the Clipper‘s forte I would have to shrug my shoulders.

It is a really nice multirole ship it's problem being it can only land on large landing pads. The original Clipper was a medium sized ship in previous Elite games. The Empire is lacking a medium sized hull and I am not sure why Frontier haven't addressed this like they have for the other factions.
The Empire has fewer ships than any other faction.

Motivated by this discussion thread, I spent a couple weeks at an Imperial controlled system in my Python “just playing the game” doing passenger, courier, and delivery missions. I’m now the proud owner of an Imperial Clipper configured as an executive jet (think Gulfstream G550) with 27 first class seats. :)

Imperial Clipper “Quick Star” G550LA
d9Sx6PM.jpg

I like mine for several reasons..its fully engineered to grade 5 to pack a punch and decent sheilds...its faster than most other ships (mine hits 640 m/s so no npc can catch it) and above all else its pretty and really nice to fly. Oh and it still does 42ly jump.
Forget the niche its a ship that makes no sense..thats why I love it.

Motivated by this discussion thread, I spent a couple weeks at an Imperial controlled system in my Python “just playing the game” doing passenger, courier, and delivery missions. I’m now the proud owner of an Imperial Clipper configured as an executive jet (think Gulfstream G550) with 27 first class seats. :)

Imperial Clipper “Quick Star” G550LA
d9Sx6PM.jpg
Very nice!

I like mine for several reasons..its fully engineered to grade 5 to pack a punch and decent sheilds...its faster than most other ships (mine hits 640 m/s so no npc can catch it) and above all else its pretty and really nice to fly. Oh and it still does 42ly jump.
Forget the niche its a ship that makes no sense..thats why I love it.
Indeed. I love mine for much the same reasons.

Defo needs a rework the Clipper and use a medium pad.
If I were given the option to change it I think I would go the other route and make it a proper small big ship by giving it a couple more utility slots, a third medium hardpoint and beefing the internals slightly. Then add a proper Imperial medium ship. Something in the FDL class, but with different optionals and weapons to make it interesting.

I haven't played in over a year, only getting back into the game thanks to the LTD gravy train, but the Clipper is my most engineered ship, and I use it for PvP / HAS RES.

Excellent straight line speed.
VERY heavy with Military Reinforcements, compiled with speed and maneuverability = very heavy hitting rams and very high base HP.
x4 Drag Frag Cannons ensure no one can escape you.
The ROI for the 7A Shields isn't that great (unless it's been changed, was only 350MJ from memory) so running bi-weaves was a must.
Mass locks FDL (from memory)

Have no idea how it compared to all the Alliance ships or this Mamba ship (they were introduced during my break).

The black paintjob is a must though, it sticks out too much in 4v4.

Warming to my theme for a medium Imperial ship. Internals 6 PP, 6 Th, 5 FSD, 5 LS, 6 PD, 4 Sens, 4 FT. Optional internals 2 x 6, 2 x 4, 2 x 3, 1 x 2, 1 x1. Hardpoints 2 x Large, 1 x Medium, 2 x Small. Utilities x 4. It would be fast cos Imperial ships are! Decent shields like the Courier or Cutter?

Really enjoying tooling around in my Clipper executive jet. Fantastic view out, fast and good handeling. The size 7 slot is a letdown for passenger work as the largest passenger cabin is size 6, but 27 first class seats is proving to be adequate for my needs.

Took my 128 ton cargo Krait Mk.II out core mining after flying the Clipper a few days, and the Krait’s horse blinder wing extensions were more annoying than usual. Cruising under the ring having to make cross-control s-turns while pinging in order to spot crackable rocks was just getting tedious. Yaw left to turn left while rolllng right to get the wing up out of the way. Reverse to go right. This isn’t a problem with my 64 ton cargo Challenger configured just for core mineing. Excellent view up and to the sides, like the Clipper.

We all know where this is going. Picked up another Clipper and configured it as a core miner. Installed a 128 ton 7E cargo rack, 6A shield, 1A prospector, 2A refinery, two 3A collectors, detailed surface scanner, seismic charge launcher, abrasion blaster, and a pulse wave analyser. Since finding the best selling station can involve a bit of travel I also installed a 4C fuel tank so she would match the Krait’s total maximum jump rang as well as a 4A fuel scoop.

What a pleasure cruising along the bottom of the ring pinging the asteroids. She paid for herself and my passenger Clipper the first time out. Excellent view, good roll, pitch and yaw, but not without some quirks of her own. Hard point placement isn’t ideal. The two on the bottom are halfway between the centerline and wing tips, forcing you to have to aim above and to the side to accurately place charges, particularly when one places the charge up close and personal like I do. Aiming the abrasion blaster has the same issue, although you can visually correct the impact point to walk the shot onto the target. I’m currently experimenting with a second blaster on the same side wing hardpoint to speed up the process. Lateral thrust is also weak. After I finish placing charges, I move away to a safe distance sideways so I can both keep the asteroid in sight and look where I’m going. Weak lateral thusters can be a bit exciting if one waits too late to move away. Of course, the quirks are what gives a ship personality. She’s a fine miner and I like her.

Top Bottom