Ships Imperial Courier vs Diamondback Scout

So this is the struggle, just changed my kitted Vulture for the Imperial Courier, tested both before selling the Vulture in Chona, Smoot Station (pretty good outfitting goodies), and fell in love with the Courier, its agility (more than the Vulture with M.Grade Composite), the cockpit, the hardpoint versatility and its much better power use.

Some people will come at me with sticks and torches yelling "The Vulture is an overall better fighter, you're downgrading" but the point is that the Vulture es such a boring ship. Rare is the time that I got my shields lowered, not even with Elite Condas and Pythons in Conflict Zones HI one after another. Missed the times I spent with my loyal Viper, where I had the true fun of this game.

But now the Diamondback Scout has caught my attention. Much better jump range, better armor, not so good power use but enough to fit the same modules that my Imperial Courie. And a point more in Handling. Now the question is: Is it worth it to change 1 Medium Hardpoint for 2 Small? Is it worth it to "downgrade" the shields (even though it's the same model 3A)?

I wanted a ship that I didn't mind to get destroyed when flying high risk maneuvers, and I got it. But I have the feeling that the Scout is slightly more versatile, fast, and also cheap.

Feel free to post your opinions and experience.

So this is the struggle, just changed my kitted Vulture for the Imperial Courier, tested both before selling the Vulture in Chona, Smoot Station (pretty good outfitting goodies), and fell in love with the Courier, its agility (more than the Vulture with M.Grade Composite), the cockpit, the hardpoint versatility and its much better power use.

Some people will come at me with sticks and torches yelling "The Vulture is an overall better fighter, you're downgrading" but the point is that the Vulture es such a boring ship. Rare is the time that I got my shields lowered, not even with Elite Condas and Pythons in Conflict Zones HI one after another. Missed the times I spent with my loyal Viper, where I had the true fun of this game.

But now the Diamondback Scout has caught my attention. Much better jump range, better armor, not so good power use but enough to fit the same modules that my Imperial Courie. And a point more in Handling. Now the question is: Is it worth it to change 1 Medium Hardpoint for 2 Small? Is it worth it to "downgrade" the shields (even though it's the same model 3A)?

I wanted a ship that I didn't mind to get destroyed when flying high risk maneuvers, and I got it. But I have the feeling that the Scout is slightly more versatile, fast, and also cheap.

Feel free to post your opinions and experience.
I would say IC is better fighter overall but if you don't mind getting blown up more often than DBs is slightly more maneuverable and faster. It depends almost entirely on your personal opinion about cockpit, outside look... If you want more of a luxury ship than I suggest IC but DBS might be better if you like Lakon design. I find that the two ships have a very different "feel"that you will need to test out if you want to know which one you will prefer
sorry for bad English not a native speaker:)

- - - Updated - - -

Have you tried a viper? Nice little ship that is.

So this is the struggle, just changed my kitted Vulture for the Imperial Courier, tested both before selling the Vulture in Chona, Smoot Station

Smoot is my home, give me a wave when you see me :)

Courier is hardier then the DBS for sure, those shields wow. 2A in courier will still give you give you far stronger shields than 3A in DBS due to an underlying shield co-efficient for each ship (if that's what you were asking)

1 medium vs 2 small not much difference really and you can throw the DBS around like a go-cart. I prefer it really but it's far more buttock clenching than the courier when you go up against something dangerous. Jump range was the clincher for me as I wanted a ship a bit like the Viper to go and undermine powers by killing ships far far away - DBS is ideal for that.

My DBS took out a Courier no problem at all with 2 small Rails & 2 Medium Beams - it needs some power management to get it from 124% down to a working 100%. I use 60t Hull Kit plus the highest Hull armour too along with 2 Shield Boosters.

Last edited:
Ok guys, so I just tested the Imperial Courier in a CZ, managed to kill 2 Anacondas, 1 Eagle, and then died by ramming.

Then I tried two assasination missions, and in both of them, died with the target at 5-12% of Power Plant.

I find myself desperate in this ship, don't know if bigger ships are tougher with 1.3, or the Courier just simply can't handle the big hunt. I consider myself good at dogfighting, Master ranked in combat, the ship was equipped with 3 Shield Boosters, Reinforced alloys, 2xHull Reinforcement, and C3 Shield Cell Bank.

It's a problem because I just love the way Courier flies, but for now it's being a credit sink.

Do you guys find yourselves in that situation with every ship? Or is that the Vulture is the only small ship allowed to kill Condas easily?

Last edited:
My DBS took out a Courier no problem at all with 2 small Rails & 2 Medium Beams - it needs some power management to get it from 124% down to a working 100%. I use 60t Hull Kit plus the highest Hull armour too along with 2 Shield Boosters.
I found the Kill Warrant Scanner is actually pointless in Federation space ofcourse so I now use 3xA Shield Boosters and found out a better way to power manage without having to manually select modules on/off. You choose high priority for weapons and lower for things you can't do in that mode anyway e.g. FSD, Fuel Scoop, etc. which if OFF in manual mode gets it at 98% (114% is the full capacity but priority disables what isn't used haha!)

Ok guys, so I just tested the Imperial Courier in a CZ, managed to kill 2 Anacondas, 1 Eagle, and then died by ramming.

Then I tried two assasination missions, and in both of them, died with the target at 5-12% of Power Plant.

I find myself desperate in this ship, don't know if bigger ships are tougher with 1.3, or the Courier just simply can't handle the big hunt. I consider myself good at dogfighting, Master ranked in combat, the ship was equipped with 3 Shield Boosters, Reinforced alloys, 2xHull Reinforcement, and C3 Shield Cell Bank.

It's a problem because I just love the way Courier flies, but for now it's being a credit sink.

Do you guys find yourselves in that situation with every ship? Or is that the Vulture is the only small ship allowed to kill Condas easily?

I play with two ships, the DBS (used to be a Cobra) and the Vulture. The fact is, although ugly, and a bit slow, the Vulture is built to take and dish out serious punishment, as it only has one role, heavy fighter. Use the IC for RES hunting and the light Courier work that 1.3 now gives us, but only fly the Vulture in Crime Sweeps and assassination missions, as your really rolling the dice with anything less.

Last edited:
Just sold my Courier with my heart broken, but I need to make money in order to be able to buy some cravings when I want them. Have a T9 parked for when I need to grind for something, and I had a Vulture or an Asp for when I wanted to have fun but earn some money too.

Happens to be that the Diamondback Explorer fill the gap between those two, being able to do all sorts of missions, so I'm heading to Federation Space to earn some Military Ranks, as I'm already Baron and Allied with the Empire and I'm pretty sure that there are Federation exclusive ships coming for the next patches.

Will surely buy the Imperial Courier when I have a couple millions to spend, just for the sake of flying with it top speed between asteroids.

I will tell you how the DB Explorer behaves as an explorer/rare trader/courier/combat ship as I'm going to do all kind of missions in Feds space.

OP, since you love the Viper - the DB Scout is quite simply in every regard a better Viper: faster, more agile, better jump range, better armour, better power plant, better hardpoint placement (for gimballed weapons, for fixed they are basically equally effective), more utility hardpoints, for only the price of slightly weaker shields. And if you fill two of those utility hardpoints with A grade shield boosters, its shields are better than a Viper's without boosters, and still two free utility hardpoints, i.e. the same number as a Viper; in other words, you have the flexibility to either have the same amount of utility hardpoints for stuff like chaff, KWS etc and even slightly better shields, or worse shields but up to four utility hardpoints to fill with all kinds of gadgets.

I too am having a hard time using the courier to take on larger prey. The worse off I've been is 60% hull - I've yet to outright be destroyed. But I also flee when I know things are getting too hairy. I think being able to flee is very important - something like the vulture would have a harder time with that due to its slower speeds. That being said, a vulture is just so extremely potent on the offense it doesn't really matter.

For 2.5m, the offensive capacity of the courier leaves much to be desired, as well as the internal capacity. But this ship extremely tanky, pretty fast, and rather maneuverable, so I think it would make an excellent wing lead.

As far as being a multipurpose ship though, does it do its job? An asp is a few millions more but seems like a much more versatile ship (combat, trade, explore). The courier is weaker than the cobra in some regards.

The main weakness is the class 3 power distributor, and the speed bleed due to mass.

Unlike her older sister, the Courier's vertical thrusters seem quite strong.

Well, I did not doubt that the IC would do the job as a "ranking" multirole ship. It actually is pretty much capable of taking 3 Clothing from point A to point B, stole 4 Aluminium, or bring 8 Bertrandite somewhere. Even kill some pirates or traders. The ASP is way more capable in everything, but it depends on what are you aiming for. Do not spend 6mill in a ship that is clearly overpowered for small missions.

My mistake was taking the IC to heavy combat and expect it to do the job not as well as a Vulture, but do it, and having fun by the way. Instead, I had a really bad time surviving, using Heat Sink Launchers, Shield Cell Banks, driving in manual mode (don't remember the name for that), and all sorts of resources in my hand.

As I said, I'm going to tell you my experience with the DB Explorer so far. After a loooong 1/2 hour driving my fat T9 to fed space too, I started doing missions with the Explorer. Courier missions, obviously, don't care if you have a sidewinder or an ASP, since you have to go as far as 4ly. Combat missions were pretty much funnier, and well executed. Haven't tried assasinations for now.

I'm happy with the ship, being able to go to RES, then exploring, then "ranking", and everything in a budget. Perfect for casual playing, and way lot cheapier than the ASP. Pretty much recommended. Also love the VTOL animation of the landing year.

OP: I have to be honest, first and foremost... I have NOT flown or even purchased an IC, yet. HOWEVER... I HAVE been flying my little DBS for awhile, now. I absolutely love it. It's ability to tackle anything I've thrown it against has surprised me. It requires a level of respect in regards to the weaker shields (I stick SBs on it) and once she starts screaming "It's time to leave!" then you listen. However... fun to fly. Agile, quick (Just under top speed of the Viper) and packs a helluva punch for her size. Even fully kit with heavy stuff on her, she manages 20LY a jump, which is damn useful in and of itself. I say give her a try. Ultimately, it's down to whatever YOU like flying. I'm docked up in Smoot mostly, these days. Feel free to add me, CMDR Cole [Razor] Connor :) o7

I have flown both pretty extensively, the DBS is quite a bit more maneuverable and you can throw it around very easily, packs a decent punch and has a very low signature even when running hot. The IC has awesome shields but the hull is a tin can, it runs hot, very hot so it's nowhere near as sneaky as the DBS but even though it isn't as nimble it feels like it flys more like a jet fighter. I really enjoy flying it, the 3 medium mounts just seem to put out more damage but really they should be close, but again that heat and small power distributor really leaves it to MCs for weapons or a mix of 2 MCs, while the DBS can run those small beams pretty well.

I fly the scout and it gets a little boring. It is a very powerful ship, especially when you replace the class 3 shield with a hull reinforcement and M-grade armor. It has 1400 hull!

Two small hardpoints have higher damage output than one medium. Not by much but a bit.

The DBS is a hull tank though, running a shield is kinda pointless as silent running is its greatest strength. It can easily be used in PvE and PvP.

The thing that lets it down however is it's acceleration. It can be very sluggish to get up to speed compared to the majority of small vessels.

Top Bottom