Imperial Slaves - A Proposition

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
No, I'm okay with drug dealing, because the user needs to consent to its use. Yes, drug use kills people, and the crimes associated with it kill people, but a person has the freedom to choose to use or not use drugs in the first place. FWIW, I don't trade in illegal stuff in the game. Although I did once accidentally bring some liquor to a religious system, and got stuck in the mail slot trying to get out. Oops.

Whoever the person is to whom you refer, I'm not them nor am I aware of their perspectives.

Here's the crux of the point to me, which I already made several times and why I said I was done with this thread, but out of respect for your question, I'll try to restate as briefly as possible.

Slavery is a horrifying practice that undermines the very fundamentals of human natural rights, and it has been reduced to a cold and abstract concept without respect to the millions of people who are still living with the cultural hangover of slavery today, then implemented as a profitable game mechanic in a game whose core value proposition is providing a simulated experience as the commander of a space ship intended to be used for trading, combat, and exploration. I find that disturbing and wrong, and only now got the motivation to finally state my perspective despite the fact that I figured that I was walking into a den of conflict, willful misunderstanding, and name-calling. The forum did not disappoint in this regard.

So I guess this is my question back to you: is the presence of active slave trading in Elite so important that its removal considerably diminishes the value that Elite provides to you as a consumer of space flight simulators such that you would quit if they took it out? Sub-question: If so, if the lore were able to remain intact, but Frontier managed to mount some sort of long term and engaging CG campaign that could potentially remove the practice from the game entirely while treating the issue with the gravitas it deserves, would you then also quit?
You do get that drug dealers use lies and coercion to hook vulnerable people to become dependent, don't you? Having given out methadone to addicts and having to ensure they swallow the drug (so they don't spit it out and sell it) to wean them I'd be careful saying drugs are a choice, because after a while they are not.

What about assassination missions, piracy and wars/civil wars? Should they be removed to? Surely killing non-existing digital people without their consent is worse than selling digital voluntary slaves with their consent?
The discussion is simply OP stating their opinion on something that exists and bothers them in the game. If you choose to debate slavery I'm all for it but I can't validate your argument that slavery in game is ok because there's other bad stuff in game (not a quote but my summation). Whether you condone it or not, you are in effect arguing FOR slavery since you choose to discredit anyone arguing the contrary. So if it is just a game, why do you support slavery in the game?

You might want to ask your employer to hurry up with the drug talk because that's not even close to being true. What about the thousands of children born addicted to drugs because their parent consumed them during gestation? What of those who are forcibly made to take drugs in order for them to be compliant in regards to modern slavery and prostitution.

You have a problem with slavery and guess what so do I and I dare say you'd struggle to find someone on the forum who doesn't see an issue with it but lets not forget this is a game and its setting is pretty dystopian. If we start to remove things from the game then we may as well shut it down because there are any number of troubling aspects of the lore besides slavery.

No one has even mentioned the wholesale genocide of Thargoids during the first war.
You avoided my questions after I so politely answered yours.

(also someone did mention the Thargoids)

Forget the drugs and violence, this discussion was started about the morality of slavery in game. If you have a point to make then make it but simply saying...slavery ok because other bad stuff ok...is rubbish and we need to stay on topic as we have no moderators.

Just noticed the moderating in language. lol I didn't say "rubbish"
Kinda like it though

The game's lore is based on a dystopian future, and as such, its no surprise slavery exists. (edit: typo)

Dystopian settings do tend to make fertile grounds for stories as well. Look at the classics such as 1984, We, Brave New World, in all those people are effectively slaves, just in different ways. In Brave New World for example, people have very "nice" lives, but they are still slaves to the state and their genetics. If you are a gamma you're stuck in a life of menial work with no ability to change anything.

Last edited:
So I guess this is my question back to you: is the presence of active slave trading in Elite so important that its removal considerably diminishes the value that Elite provides to you as a consumer of space flight simulators such that you would quit if they took it out? Sub-question: If so, if the lore were able to remain intact, but Frontier managed to mount some sort of long term and engaging CG campaign that could potentially remove the practice from the game entirely while treating the issue with the gravitas it deserves, would you then also quit?
They could remove 100% of the lore and I wouldn't bat an eye if im honest, I don't play Elite to follow its text based storylines.

If they were to start a series of CG's or discussions to remove slavery from the empire then yea sure I can always get on-board with a CG as long as its not combat.

This is an honest to god problem. The game is a passive mental trainer for the acceptability of slavery as a practice, and enables players to live out the fantasy of slave trading if they choose to do so without any respect or recognition of the human cost

No. This is your problem.
The game, with emphasis on game, is putting the player in a dystopian society and is confronting him with some evils, maybe with not exactly the best implementation ever, but that's not exactly the point.
It's your choice how to deal with evil. If you want to engage in a life of crime, you can. If you want to fight crime, you can . It you want to play a saint, you can do that too.

For example, I never got involved in slave trading of any type and i usually play a good natured character living on the right side of the law
As a result, i might get a fine here and there for grazing a ship or for some contraband, but i don't do terrorism (massacre civilians and other wetwork missions with similar outcome), i refrain from murdering clean ships and generally speaking from any activities that would incur bounties.
I do get involved in wars and in massacre pirates missions, so i do murders, but they're sanctioned murders within the game context and i can live with that.

However the game does not force anyone into any evil type of activity - you can play the game (with some limitations) without firing a single shot.
You can play the game totally severing your ties with the human civilization - the starter sidewinder is good enough - just fit some A rated FSD and head towards the center of the galaxy - there are hundreds of billions of stars waiting to be discovered and you can do that the very moment you leave the starting systems.

What i find disturbing is that your moral compass seem to be very erect when it comes to slavery, but it starts to bend when it comes about murder - which for me is the ultimate evil since it's... well... definitive
Players can only marginally involve in slavery and cannot be slave owners.
On the other side players can get directly involved in missions to massacre innocent civilians for the purpose of spreading terror.
AkA Terrorism. And this does not seem to bother you.

But yes, diversity - and i'm ok with this. You are bothered by slavery, i am bothered by terrorism and i read that others were bothered by animal meat.
Just don't ask for game changes to suit your sensibilities pretty much the same way i dont ask FD to remove terrorism (and crime generally speaking) to transform ED universe into a pastoral universe.
It's a cutthroat galaxy out there, definitely not a pastoral idyllic one.

If you cannot really cope with it, it is better to find some other game to play, but let ED be ED and not Friendship is Magic

I think the inherent flaw here is our community is in large, unwilling to make a change. For whatever reasons personal or collective, this community seems ok with the current state of affairs around this subject. I will not say it is condoned as that just seems to raise further debate.
I find this perplexing, we as a community are unwilling to change the status of this subject but are not at fault and in no way condone it.

The game's lore is based on a dystopian future, and as such, its no surprise slavery doesn't exist.

Dystopian settings do tend to make fertile grounds for stories as well. Look at the classics such as 1984, We, Brave New World, in all those people are effectively slaves, just in different ways. In Brave New World for example, people have very "nice" lives, but they are still slaves to the state and their genetics. If you are a gamma you're stuck in a life of menial work with no ability to change anything.
And the distinction made between those works of fiction and this work of fiction is that in those works of fiction, you are given the opportunity to experience in detail the horror and suffering of those existences and can make a properly informed moral judgement on those issues. In this work of fiction, there is no horror, only squeaky clean profit and a treadmill of repetitive practice that positively reinforces the adrenaline rush and big credits associated with being a slave trader.

I think the inherent flaw here is our community is in large, unwilling to make a change. For whatever reasons personal or collective, this community seems ok with the current state of affairs around this subject. I will not say it is condoned as that just seems to raise further debate.
I find this perplexing, we as a community are unwilling to change the status of this subject but are not at fault and in no way condone it.

There are lots of changes people want. I'd hazard a guess that most players want changes. Just that they don't want certain things to change because they are fine with those aspects.

The problem with threads like this is when people make the assumption that others want the same as them and then are surprised when people don't agree.

Pay off their debt that you interupted them from paying off while you are at it

Well, just don't do this - i mean the timeline between 8 Jun 3305 and 30 Jul 3305

Sounds like the voice of experience 😂 I’ll have to take your word for it, since my character has not and will not engage in the trafficking of human cargo. I’d rather just blow them up and get my adrenaline hit from watching the pretty space kablammos.

I'm personally more of a fan of the endorphin rush I get from handing in 192 ton of painite to a station but different strokes....

Sounds like the voice of experience 😂 I’ll have to take your word for it, since my character has not and will not engage in the trafficking of human cargo. I’d rather just blow them up and get my adrenaline hit from watching the pretty space kablammos.
My experience is derived from watching youtube videos on how to be an excellent slave trader. As previously mentioned, I don't trade in illegal goods in the game. Or RL, if that needed to be said.

So if it is just a game, why do you support slavery in the game?
Why shouldn't I? For the same reason I support any other dark playstyle - because it's only a game and it makes it more interesting and immersive.

If I were you, instead of ranting about imaginary slavery in a video game, I would donate to Anti-Slavery Organisations and do other things to help victims in real life. But no, "Remove slavery from this video game, I FeEl OfFeNdEd!!!" :rolleyes:

If you consider slavery to be a problem to the point where it needs to be censored from video games, why not make a difference and do something about it in real life? You're not helping those 40+ million people by acting offended because the concept exists in video games.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom