News Important Community Update (01/03)

Yes! That; it's space-legs-but-also-not-quite. It's something, and I believe that FDev will attempt something at some point, but I do not believe it'll be a full on NMS-alternative. That's a legs game with some "spacey bits". I want, hell, I NEED ED to continue to be a Spaceship simulator first and foremost.
I fully expect when/if space legs or Elite Feet or EVA, whatever it is, the space ship will still be the major part of the game. The way I see it is that there is no harm in expanding on what our commanders do, there is only so much you can do when stuck in a cockpit.

I certainly don't expect anything like NMS where walking around is pretty much a necessity. It should be optional, but provide something that cannot be done in your ships, like exploring generation ships or the inside of abandoned facilities, or cave systems for rare materials, new and different types of mission objectives, star ship repairs (maybe need some changing to how repairs are done know).

I think the games they need to take inspiration from are Alien Isolation, Hellion, Star Trek bridge crew (if there is to be an NPC system and/or proper multicrew), Lone echo and ADR1FT.

All good, but limited games, if you add small and large sections of those together, you could have something very good.

Last edited:
I fully expect when/if space legs or Elite Feet or EVA, whatever it is, the space ship will still be the major part of the game. The way I see it is that there is no harm in expanding on what our commanders do, there is only so much you can do when stuck in a cockpit.

I certainly don't expect anything like NMS where walking around is pretty much a necessity. It should be optional, but provide something that cannot be done in your ships, like exploring generation ships or the inside of abandoned facilities, or cave systems for rare materials, new and different types of mission objectives, star ship repairs (maybe need some changing to how repairs are done know).

I think the games they need to take inspiration from are Alien Isolation, Hellion, Star Trek bridge crew, Lone echo (if there is to be an NPC system and/or proper multicrew) and ADR1FT.

All good, but limited games, if you add small and large sections of those together, you could have something very good.
I think your imaginings and mine are about the same... hellion and lone echo are bloody top tier experiences and if elite got that kind of stuff in the game (hellion but with lots of npcs of course for those who are not bothered with MP) then the term happy as a pig in muck would sum me up nicely.

I try not to set myself up for disappointment, so all I ask is that Frontier make Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world.
- Authentic: true to the original, so I'd say "check"
- Ambitious: obviously check, yet still have many to do to fully materialize its ambition. It's easy to have ambition/dreams/vision, the hard part is to make it take shape
- Expansive: check, though it may have evolved and will evolve not in the way one would have wanted/hoped
- Space game: check, space is the main character of the game

Last edited:

I think the games they need to take inspiration from are Alien Isolation, Hellion, Star Trek bridge crew (if there is to be an NPC system and/or proper multicrew), Lone echo and ADR1FT.

Agreed. We'll see, I guess, whether they do any of that, or just make us walk around like idiots trying to find out ship on each logon....

Yes! That; it's space-legs-but-also-not-quite. It's something, and I believe that FDev will attempt something at some point, but I do not believe it'll be a full on NMS-alternative. That's a legs game with some "spacey bits". I want, hell, I NEED ED to continue to be a Spaceship simulator first and foremost.
Totally, utterly, irrevocably THAT!

Agreed. We'll see, I guess, whether they do any of that, or just make us walk around like idiots trying to find out ship on each logon....
The horror.

Last edited:
- Authentic: true to the original, so I'd say "check"
- Ambitious: obviously check, yet still have many to do to fully materialize its ambition. It's easy to have ambition/dreams/vision, the hard part is to make it take shape
- Expansive: check, though it may have evolved and will evolve not in the way one would have wanted/hoped
- Space game: check, space is the main character of the game
'Most' being a keyword I guess.

maybe maybe not.
mechanically they are a lot different and i could easily see being separate expansions.
???

How are they mechanically different? "Space legs" is just a very broad term for any gameplay that involves actually using your legs to move about

???

How are they mechanically different? "Space legs" is just a very broad term for any gameplay that involves actually using your legs to move about
you answered the question in your question. EVA if done as i imagine would be using some form of mechanical propellant to move about , hell it could even be done using remote drones with our CMDR still in their seat (not my preferred option but.........)

legs have little to do with EVA in the way I am thinking about if it was separate from "space legs", and even if boarding ships if anything "Space Arms" would be a more appropriate name in zero G (although I accept some legs action could occur with magnetic boots). I would suggest the majority of folk when they talk about space legs mean getting out on a planets surface and running around, and this i could definitely see being a separate expansion from EVA.

I agree there is overlap and it really depends on how much FD choose to flesh it out....

For me, I could easily get 12 months enjoyment out of an EVA addition which had NOTHING to do with moon walks.

Last edited:
Extremely amusing thread; thanks all.
Goes from an official announcement that something big is coming in 18 months, to quibbling in excruciating detail how twinkle toes should be implemented.

Goes from an official announcement that something big is coming in 18 months, to quibbling in excruciating detail how twinkle toes should be implemented.
Passed the time in between updates. I wasnt saying what I expect the next dlc to be. Indeed it I was it would be different than what I hope it could be

Last edited:
I guess the announcement left a little room for speculation.

Absolutely loved Horizons! (why would I play without it?)
A major update is exciting stuff.
Really, all I'd need is a place to put "that mug" on my dash, and maybe put all my well paid staff to work!
They should buy their own ship with what I'm paying them, or making themselves useful mining, building my own personal base, learning some engineering. I can't even get a coffee, despite obviously having an excellent coffee machine on my Krait
;D

I'd just like somewhere to put my mug.
Update confirmed for 2020… Elite : shelf :D

I wonder if FD will do something slightly different with the spacelegs thingy and go for some sort of drone that you can control.
This would enable you to cut straight to the external action of flying about in surface features or wrecks without all of the (potentially dull) wandering about to get to airlocks etc. Issues like gravity, harsh conditions & death outside the ship could be dealt with in a similar way to the SRV.

Update confirmed for 2020… Elite : shelf :D

I wonder if FD will do something slightly different with the spacelegs thingy and go for some sort of drone that you can control.
This would enable you to cut straight to the external action of flying about in surface features or wrecks without all of the (potentially dull) wandering about to get to airlocks etc. Issues like gravity, harsh conditions & death outside the ship could be dealt with in a similar way to the SRV.
"drone" =/= walking around
"drone" =/= immersion

see X4: Foundations. Very basic walking around, but very much immersion.

EDIT: Yeah, I can hear all the Yamiks impersonators with their "Meh iMMURshun"

Top Bottom