News Important Community Update (01/03)

Greetings Commanders,

We can understand that having a long wait for news can be frustrating, but we truly believe that this will be the single most impactful update for our community. Having a development team dedicated to this milestone is our continued and unwavering commitment to making Elite Dangerous the most authentic, ambitious, and expansive evolving space game in the world.
A bold statement and I'm really looking forward (and open about) what this probably might be. I trust it has nothing to do with "one of the biggest changes" from below:
Development supported events

One of the biggest changes will be the way that we create and support in-game events and activities. Starting in the coming months, we will be looking to change the way that in-game events happen. The aim here is to create ongoing, engaging, and varied sets of content that are supported by the development team which players will be able to actively engage in.
For now I'm looking at these 'events' as some sort of bridge to bring the community across the ocean-of-time-of-emptiness. What's a bit worrying me is that there's not at least a tiny hint about 'what' it could be. For now you only let us speculate about things that most likely will NOT be content of this amazing master update (like legs... <scnr>). So, why all this secrecy?

A bold statement and I'm really looking forward (and open about) what this probably might be. I trust it has nothing to do with "one of the biggest changes" from below:

For now I'm looking at these 'events' as some sort of bridge to bring the community across the ocean-of-time-of-emptiness. What's a bit worrying me is that there's not at least a tiny hint about 'what' it could be. For now you only let us speculate about things that most likely will NOT be content of this amazing master update (like legs... <scnr>). So, why all this secrecy?
The got another IP game comming so all the devs are reasigned to that game , just as they did with , jurasic world, Planet coaster and CQC so dont expect anything soon or of good quality.

I will admit that is getting very frustrating that there's been no news about the replacement of the community goals for the last month or so. The new player experience (At least they didn't call it the New Game Experience) is not going to effect the majority of people here, so the only thing we've got to keep the long term players going until 2020 are these new Events.

On the bright side, NMS has an update coming this summer! Maybe they'll make their ships fly more like Elite?

One can only hope!

Last edited:
The got another IP game comming so all the devs are reasigned to that game , just as they did with , jurasic world, Planet coaster and CQC so dont expect anything soon or of good quality.
Are you saying they were lying when they said they now have a 100 man dev team dedicated to and working on the next ED expansion?

Are you saying they were lying when they said they now have a 100 man dev team dedicated to and working on the next ED expansion?
I would love to see an answer from Will or someone else of FD. Heeeeello FD, are you still with us? It is April meanwhile!!! CGs, updates for 2019, the new erst of 2020?

I'm quite sure that there are 100 people or more working on Elite: Dangerous at the moment but presently, I suspect, not all of them will be working on the current game. The vast majority of them will be working on the big 2020 update with the rest either working on bug fixes or these small enhancements.

If you've got big ongoing development projects like this (and I'm only going on my experience here); you normally split the whole team into three development streams ;-
  1. Main - This is the biggest team and will be working on the next big upgrade, in this case the 2020. I'd guess probably 70 people.
  2. Enhance - This will be the team working on content to keep us interested until 2020. It will be a lot smaller of a team, probably another 20.
  3. Run - This is the bug smashing team, probably 10 or so who's whole purpose is to crush bugs and make sure anything enhance releases doesn't break the build.
People would 'Float' between the three teams depending on the project requirements (i.e. If there is a bug with the Mission system, people with the most experience with dev mission would probably be drafted in to help fix that bug and then head back).

So they're not lying on the 100 people working on Elite: Dangerous but the number of people working on the game we're playing at the moment is probably between 20 to 30. I wouldn't get expect to have those numbers confirmed as what team structures a company uses to actually develop and maintain it's product could be considered 'Commercially Sensitive'.

Guess we'll have a better idea when the next update and these CG replacements come out.

Last edited:
So they're not lying on the 100 people working on Elite: Dangerous
Can confirm on that one. Having seen them in their office actually working on it (a sight to behold tbh, especially with good old Science Master Dav Stott in his lab coat :D ). yeah there are 100 if not more folks "crammed" into that office just for Elite.

Buggers kept turning their screens off though :D

Top Bottom