News Important Community Update (01/03)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The got another IP game comming so all the devs are reasigned to that game , just as they did with , jurasic world, Planet coaster and CQC so dont expect anything soon or of good quality.

Are you saying they were lying when they said they now have a 100 man dev team dedicated to and working on the next ED expansion?

Are you saying they were lying when they said they now have a 100 man dev team dedicated to and working on the next ED expansion?

I would love to see an answer from Will or someone else of FD. Heeeeello FD, are you still with us? It is April meanwhile!!! CGs, updates for 2019, the new erst of 2020?

I'm quite sure that there are 100 people or more working on Elite: Dangerous at the moment but presently, I suspect, not all of them will be working on the current game. The vast majority of them will be working on the big 2020 update with the rest either working on bug fixes or these small enhancements.

If you've got big ongoing development projects like this (and I'm only going on my experience here); you normally split the whole team into three development streams ;-
  1. Main - This is the biggest team and will be working on the next big upgrade, in this case the 2020. I'd guess probably 70 people.
  2. Enhance - This will be the team working on content to keep us interested until 2020. It will be a lot smaller of a team, probably another 20.
  3. Run - This is the bug smashing team, probably 10 or so who's whole purpose is to crush bugs and make sure anything enhance releases doesn't break the build.
People would 'Float' between the three teams depending on the project requirements (i.e. If there is a bug with the Mission system, people with the most experience with dev mission would probably be drafted in to help fix that bug and then head back).

So they're not lying on the 100 people working on Elite: Dangerous but the number of people working on the game we're playing at the moment is probably between 20 to 30. I wouldn't get expect to have those numbers confirmed as what team structures a company uses to actually develop and maintain it's product could be considered 'Commercially Sensitive'.

Guess we'll have a better idea when the next update and these CG replacements come out.

Last edited:
So they're not lying on the 100 people working on Elite: Dangerous

Can confirm on that one. Having seen them in their office actually working on it (a sight to behold tbh, especially with good old Science Master Dav Stott in his lab coat :D ). yeah there are 100 if not more folks "crammed" into that office just for Elite.

Buggers kept turning their screens off though :D

Well, I take back a little what I said. Haha. I just jumped in the Krait Phantom, got a kit for it, new paint job and ventured out into the black again. Finally used the 4K monitor for its intended purpose. Usually had it on 2k resolution. Amazing. Still a great sim but I just wish there was more now. Not in almost 2 years. There are plenty of other games out there, however. No mans sky is pretty cool, SC is looking better after most recent update, X4 is pretty cool but could use some serious polishing and content....Lately, I've been into X-plane (flight sim) so I guess I can pre-occupy myself with other sims/games.

So, 1,800 hours is a pretty good amount of time to get out of a title these days

Also no, the Elite Dangerous team and the Jurassic World teams are quite separate. Elite is "being shelved" in your words (even though it's not, and they are continuing to release regular updates) in order to make big updates. If you want to have big content, you need to wait for it to be developed.
I wish people would inform themselves about software development; or at the very least, use their brains. Does it make any kind of sense for a successful company to have ONE development team for THREE games? Would you have ONE construction team on THREE buildings?

It takes time to develop stuff. I can't emphasise that enough.
Updates are coming during those two years; but the big stuff will be here in two years time. Taking into account what they gave us in a single year with deadlines (Beyond), I surmise that what we'll get in 2 years time will be absolutely epic.

Well, to be honest I hope that there isn't a new release next week. They released 2.3 over Easter a couple of years ago and because there were a couple of serious bugs in it, nothing was fixed until after the easter break. That created enough salt to keep MacDonald's fries 'tasty' for a year.

So there ar
That's not how it works.
Then explain the poor quality and little content they put out this last year?
Trade still the same, exploration well the worst update so far.mining got a bit more qualtiy. Ice planets delayed , carriers delayed 2 things they hyped 14 months earlier.
And dont tell me that it took 100 people to create that content when the first season had better and more substantial updates .
The same time it took frontier to release the beyond season and horizons season , a smaller company called egosoft recoverd from the rebirth debacle and created a totaly new game . including space legs hundreds of playable ships.
What did Frontier actualy do on elite? nothing slow paced development poor design choices. and we all have seen when a new game is in the works Elite grinds to a halt.

The 3rd party tools , websites has more updates and features we actualy use than frontier released.

4 months after release space is almost empty players started to stop playing after a few weeks. you dont believe me just watch the trafic in usualy bussy systems.
Dropping from 800 to 1000 players traveling through a system to barely 20 to 32.

So you can say frontier is not working with 100 people on elite. maybe if you count the community managers , support,moderators canteen personnel , and the ones creating fluf like paintjobs decals etc. other wise you wont get even close.

Then explain the poor quality and little content they put out this last year?
Opinion.

Trade still the same,
Opinion (also factually incorrect).

exploration well the worst update so far.
Opinion.

mining got a bit more qualtiy.

Ice planets delayed , carriers delayed 2 things they hyped 14 months earlier.
Things get delayed. Welcome to the real world.
It's normal to hype things.

And dont tell me that it took 100 people to create that content when the first season had better and more substantial updates .
It took 100 people to create content. Some of that content was released, some of it was not. Some other content could likely be still under development and won't be available until 2020.

The same time it took frontier to release the beyond season and horizons season , a smaller company called egosoft recoverd from the rebirth debacle and created a totaly new game . including space legs hundreds of playable ships.
Irrelevant.

What did Frontier actualy do on elite?
They worked on it; as is evidenced by an entire year of content which they didn't charge a dime for.

Factually incorrect.

slow paced
They can work at whatever pace they damn well please. It is most assuredly NOT up to you to dictate that pace.

development poor design choices.
Opinion. Make your own game if you're so talented and experienced you can belittle the design choices of others.

and we all have seen when a new game is in the works Elite grinds to a halt.
People see what they want to see.

The 3rd party tools , websites has more updates and features we actualy use than frontier released.
3rd party tools that use an API that Frontier had to spend time and resources to develop. Also, 3rd party tools are much easier to develop than a game. This comparison is laughable.

4 months after release space is almost empty players started to stop playing after a few weeks.
This is normal, for every single game. Ever. There is an initial rush of players, then the playerbase drops to the more active players; those who the game caters for.

you dont believe me just watch the trafic in usualy bussy systems.
Space is big.

Dropping from 800 to 1000 players traveling through a system to barely 20 to 32.
Wouldn't know, I play in Mobius. I focus on me.
SHINRARTA DEZHRA, according to INARA, had over 5500 players in the last 24 hours. People move around.

So you can say frontier is not working with 100 people on elite.
YOU can say that. I don't see any benefit for Frontier in lying about how many people work on Elite; nor do I presume to make an assumption based on absolutely no reliable, provable or unbias data.

maybe if you count the community managers , support,moderators canteen personnel , and the ones creating fluf like paintjobs decals etc. other wise you wont get even close.
When they say 100 people, you do know they aren't referring to 100 developers.. right?

Opinion.

Opinion.

Things get delayed. Welcome to the real world.
It's normal to hype things.

It took 100 people to create content. Some of that content was released, some of it was not. Some other content could likely be still under development and won't be available until 2020.

Irrelevant.

They worked on it; as is evidenced by an entire year of content which they didn't charge a dime for.

Factually incorrect.

They can work at whatever pace they damn well please. It is most assuredly NOT up to you to dictate that pace.

Opinion. Make your own game if you're so talented and experienced you can belittle the design choices of others.

People see what they want to see.

3rd party tools that use an API that Frontier had to spend time and resources to develop. Also, 3rd party tools are much easier to develop than a game. This comparison is laughable.

This is normal, for every single game. Ever. There is an initial rush of players, then the playerbase drops to the more active players; those who the game caters for.

Space is big.

Wouldn't know, I play in Mobius. I focus on me.
SHINRARTA DEZHRA, according to INARA, had over 5500 players in the last 24 hours. People move around.

YOU can say that. I don't see any benefit for Frontier in lying about how many people work on Elite; nor do I presume to make an assumption based on absolutely no reliable, provable or unbias data.

When they say 100 people, you do know they aren't referring to 100 developers.. right?

In short all point i made are vallid. perhaps you should read some of the comments made on other Chanels ? forrums? and other reviews about this slow progress . if i remember correctly several big streamers , community forrums and actual data on how many people say exactly the same thing about the lack of progress , broken scedules and huge drops in players .

As this is a frontier run forrum you get a lot of but kissers and smoke blowing up rear end regions to cover up all the facts and claim there is great progress.
I recomend keeping your smoke blowing to your self and let the rest of the community decide on what has changed and what made improvements.

I also remind you frontier did screw over the backers and didnt deliver what was promised.
So i wish you good luck in finding people that actualy think you are right on other forrums and media.

So far this forrum is just like the rotten tomato scores for Startrek discovery and last season of doctor who.
This forrum is the positve rotten tomato reviews the actual community forrums, streamers review are the actual scores .

Acording to you this forrum is 80 % positive and 10 % negative and 10 % dont care. in reality 70 % is negative , 20 % dont realy care and 10 % is positive.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom