News Important Community Update (01/03)

I get that the new update is going to be a paid update and the biggest in Elite history. I agree with this and will be happy to buy it. With that statement I also believe it is only fair to have two questions answered
1. Will the update require me to uninstall and redownload the game?
2. Will the update require new hardware on the user end?
I am very happy with the game as is but new stuff is always welcome. But having to build another pc or buying a new console might be a bit much my gaming hardware budget as it is very small it would be nice to know how much more I need to invest in playing new stuff in a video game if the number is to high I will continue as is please make this very clear long before release to avoid buyers remorse Thank you o7 fly save commanders.
I feel an answer to these questions will not leak any content at all but will give us something to work towards and consider

I get that the new update is going to be a paid update and the biggest in Elite history. I agree with this and will be happy to buy it. With that statement I also believe it is only fair to have two questions answered
1. Will the update require me to uninstall and redownload the game?
2. Will the update require new hardware on the user end?
I am very happy with the game as is but new stuff is always welcome. But having to build another pc or buying a new console might be a bit much my gaming hardware budget as it is very small it would be nice to know how much more I need to invest in playing new stuff in a video game if the number is to high I will continue as is please make this very clear long before release to avoid buyers remorse Thank you o7 fly save commanders.
I feel an answer to these questions will not leak any content at all but will give us something to work towards and consider
To the best of my knowledge, the hardware requirements have not changed.
Of course, if you are close to capacity on your current hard drive, you may need to change to a higher capacity drive, as any kind of DLC will require storage space.
I have not heard of anyone who started with vanilla Elite having to un/re-install to add Horizons, so it should be a safe assumption that this and any future DLC will operate in a similar manner.

To the best of my knowledge, the hardware requirements have not changed.
Of course, if you are close to capacity on your current hard drive, you may need to change to a higher capacity drive, as any kind of DLC will require storage space.
I have not heard of anyone who started with vanilla Elite having to un/re-install to add Horizons, so it should be a safe assumption that this and any future DLC will operate in a similar manner.
I am of the mind that the game itself is at its limits and that is my fear of having to restart and why everything goes wrong with updates

I am of the mind that the game itself is at its limits and that is my fear of having to restart and why everything goes wrong with updates
Having just as much knowledge about how the Cobra Engine works as you, I suspect there's something else at work here that throws updates into a tizzy when released into the wild, that does not happen during internal testing. My suspicion is that the internal testing environment is "cleaner" or otherwise different from the live environment, thus they don't catch as many issues.

You would have done, because there was literally nothing like it at the time. People forget how groundbreaking it was.
No, I wouldn't have.
At that time, my tolerance for PC games was limited to The Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy (an Infocom text-parser game). The rest of my time was devoted to the study and practice of Kapu Kuʻialua, (3rd year), which would transition into the study and practice of SAMBO (samozashchita bez oruzhiya), and Krav Maga - then following an injury, the study of Zui Quan lasting up until 2004, when an automobile accident made further practice a near impossibility for the better part of two years. That's when I really started into PC gaming, I did a little console gaming from time to time, mostly RPG's. I did indulge in the occasional FPS play though, with Quake, Unreal Tournament and America's Army topping my lists.

Elite simply wouldn't have appealed to me back then either, as it just wasn't the sort of thing I would have looked for in a distraction.

No, I wouldn't have.
At that time, my tolerance for PC games was limited to The Hitchhiker's Guild to the Galaxy (an Infocom text-parser game). The rest of my time was devoted to the study and practice of Kapu Kuʻialua, (3rd year), which would transition into the study and practice of SAMBO (samozashchita bez oruzhiya), and Krav Maga - then following an injury, the study of Zui Quan lasting up until 2004, when an automobile accident made further practice a near impossibility for the better part of two years. That's when I really started into PC gaming, I did a little console gaming from time to time, mostly RPG's. I did indulge in the occasional FPS play though, with Quake, Unreal Tournament and America's Army topping my lists.

Elite simply wouldn't have appealed to me back then either, as it just wasn't the sort of thing I would have looked for in a distraction.
PC didn't play games in 1984, they had spreadsheets. You had the BBC, ZX Spectrum and Commadore 64. Compared to the games at the time, there was nothing like it.

PC didn't play games in 1984, they had spreadsheets. You had the BBC, ZX Spectrum and Commadore 64. Compared to the games at the time, there was nothing like it.
It was pretty ground breaking at the time, I remember being awed by the graphics and open-ended play. We had a 32kb BBC model B with a disk drive that chuntered away each time I docked so the full on original experience. I was already Elite long before my friends eventually got Elite for spectrum 48ks & Commodore 64s, a Vic20 or ZX81 had more games to choose from but the games themselves weren't in the same league as Elite.

Later versions made for computers with more RAM make the original look less impressive, the technology was moving fairly quickly at the time. We'd had an Acorn Atom (4kb IIRC) before the Beeb, the BBC was a powerhouse in comparison. For a short time it was the platform & game to have.

Last edited:
No, I wouldn't have.

As far as i know the PC didn't play games in 1984. You had the Apple MAC released that year and the IBM PC Jr and PC/AT , at a whopping $4000. The rest of us meanwhile used ZX Spectrums, Commodore 64's and BBC micros. The earliest 386 didn't come out until 1986 in the guise of the Compaq Deskpro

As far as i know the PC didn't play games in 1984. You had the Apple MAC released that year and the IBM PC Jr and PC/AT , at a whopping $4000. The rest of us meanwhile used ZX Spectrums, Commodore 64's and BBC micros. The earliest 386 didn't come out until 1986 in the guise of the Compaq Deskpro
I had a Timex Sinclair 1000 in the early 80's. Not that it qualified as an actual pc, but still thought it was almost worth a mention. Almost...;)

SR o7

Top Bottom