News Important Community Update (01/03)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder how much storage one would need to back up the Milky Way locally.

it does not work like that...... afaik each system is generated using an algorithm as you jump to the system. the masses of data is more the recorded stuff like "1st discovered by" and what not and any manually placed features, which may or may not be deemed necessary.

such is the way of it, if the game runs for another 10 years , even if it is for arguments sake 5TB, that will be doable for not too much money then.

Last edited:
I wonder how much storage one would need to back up the Milky Way locally.

I very much think Offline ED is a no-go technically, it's a cloud game and quite closely tied to an array of AWS services and technologies. It likely couldn't even be ported to Azure. The data and algorithms are not enough (given that FD would release that IP at all), but you'd need the entire server infrastructure as well (and hire Dav to set it up), not to speak of the client software itself. This kind of games cannot be run on a home PC or clan server anymore IMHO, it's simply too big and complex. You can find some technical details about the ED backend (before Horizons) here. And no, DB was not lying when he considered that option in 2014, it was simply a plan :D

O7,
[noob]

Help a new player out here: What is the big deal with atmospheric landings?
Pretend you're explaining it to a 5 year old.

Because it's pretty, fun, exciting, and entertaining. Just like everything else in a game.

The same question could be asked for Elite as it is right now. What's the big deal with flying virtual pixels in a fantasy galaxy?

Last edited:
Oke rectification all but one that uses the bobble heads still a bit weird you use them as they are Christmas bobble heads and its march now .

I have the christmas tree bobblehead on all my ships.

It's very joyous and dances.

It can also be used as a velocity vector when flying FA Off.

:)

Ditto "space legs". Why?

I think 'space legs' means the ability to leave your ship and walk around on the inside of a station.
You could also land on a planet and explore an alien dungeon - on foot.

I had to Google 'atmospheric landing' - apparently the people want to land on planets with atmospheres as that is an entirely new level of challenge.

So that answer two of our questions; however, I still don't know what is meant by the commonly used phrase, "Outer Noodled Blowback", or ONB for short.
I've seen that all over the forums and nobody ever explains it.

I seem to remember the Devs stating that if an offline version of Elite was possible, it'd be in a completely static universe with no change possible in the background-simulation, as the background-simulation is rather complex and reliant on servers.

I still don't know what is meant by the commonly used phrase, "Outer Noodled Blowback", or ONB for short.
I've seen that all over the forums and nobody ever explains it.
I have literally never heard that phrase before in my entire life, anywhere.

All I want is an Autopilot and MB4 Mining Machine. Oh, and the ability to land on planets with atmosphere. :)

[yesnod]

Last edited:
I very much think Offline ED is a no-go technically, it's a cloud game and quite closely tied to an array of AWS services and technologies. It likely couldn't even be ported to Azure. The data and algorithms are not enough (given that FD would release that IP at all), but you'd need the entire server infrastructure as well (and hire Dav to set it up), not to speak of the client software itself. This kind of games cannot be run on a home PC or clan server anymore IMHO, it's simply too big and complex. You can find some technical details about the ED backend (before Horizons) here. And no, DB was not lying when he considered that option in 2014, it was simply a plan :D

O7,
[noob]
I
would wager a large sum you are wrong. Its not going to be a major headache to make it offline. You'd only be monitoring you local discoveries etc not everyone elses so therefore a load of the current backbone would be taken out of the equation. The floppy version was doing basically what an offline version would do minus the fancy graphics we currently have. In around a meg of memory.

I
would wager a large sum you are wrong. Its not going to be a major headache to make it offline. You'd only be monitoring you local discoveries etc not everyone elses so therefore a load of the current backbone would be taken out of the equation. The floppy version was doing basically what an offline version would do minus the fancy graphics we currently have. In around a meg of memory.

It's not the single player system load that gets in the way, but the very cluster setup itself. Redis, Mongo, MySQL. EC2, DynamoDB, Route 53, Elastic Beanstalk, CloudWatch, autoscaling, all integrated & glued together. Configuration all over the place. Some components like i.e. the infamous Adjucation Server and the authorization framework in general they didn't even show. Ripping all that apart & adapting it to a standalone mode will be a nightmare. There's a reason every major update takes an entire workday. Could be they have a simplified setup somewhere for dev purposes, but I doubt that. It will never happen anyway :D

O7,
[noob]

Last edited:

Ditto "space legs". Why?

Because it's pretty, fun, exciting, and entertaining. Just like everything else in a game.

The same question could be asked for Elite as it is right now. What's the big deal with flying virtual pixels in a fantasy galaxy?

Hi, long time Elite player (since 1984), long time forum member (since April 2008) and Day 1 kickstarter backer here. Let me give you a better answer as to why we want atmospheric landings so much.

It's quite simple, in 1992 Frontier Developments formed as a company and their very first release was Frontier: Elite II, often referred to as FEII. This game was set in a modeled Milky Way galaxy, although there were some conveniences taken, some stars were not accurate and the galaxy itself was pretty much on one plane. As well as being able to buy various ships, and outfit them all with different equipment, docking was a lot easier due to the improved graphics of 1984's Elite and you could even fly down to any planet and land on the surface. Some planets had stations you could land at.

This whole game was sold on a single 1.44Mb floppy disc. Just take that in for a moment, a game that allowed you to explore the Milky Way galaxy in a number of ships and land on a planet fit onto a disc with less size than an email today. Heck, this post is probably more than 1.44Mb. A sequel to FEII was released about a year later called Frontier First Encounters, or FFE for short, and was FEII with missions.

When the kickstarter was launched, people wanted FFE but with newer graphics and technology. People wanted to land on atmospheric planets. This was something Frontier said they'd try to do, but never committed to promising it. Since then, they have rarely, if ever, mentioned atmospheric landings at all. Yet we keep asking for it.

That's why.

There were also plenty of sneak peeks in the lead up to Horizons. They made the newsletters actually worth reading.

Yeah. I think wasn't there (iirc) a run between when Horizons officially announced and the beta? I think it's going to be different this time around though (possibly a shorter lead time) because unlikely to be another presale season. I mean, there might be presales of the expansion, but not like a year before 3/4 of the code is even writ. Under the circumstances thinking about it, extra kudos to Horizons devs, because that takes brass orbs!
Yep. After Horizons was announced at Gamescom in August 2015, sneak peaks and news snippets started revealing what was to come. Horizons 2.0 entered beta 3 months later.

There was plenty of drama in the months prior to Horizons' announcement ("OMG, why are they working on a console port, planetary landings are never coming! This game is in maintenance mode! Star Citizen will kill Elite next year!") with one notorious Redditor (TFaddy) announcing he'd eat a sock if Planetary Landings arrived in 2015.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom