News Important Community Update (01/03)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Extremely amusing thread; thanks all.
Goes from an official announcement that something big is coming in 18 months, to quibbling in excruciating detail how twinkle toes should be implemented.

Passed the time in between updates. I wasnt saying what I expect the next dlc to be. Indeed it I was it would be different than what I hope it could be

Last edited:
Extremely amusing thread; thanks all.
Goes from an official announcement that something big is coming in 18 months, to quibbling in excruciating detail how twinkle toes should be implemented.

I guess the announcement left a little room for speculation.

Absolutely loved Horizons! (why would I play without it?)
A major update is exciting stuff.
Really, all I'd need is a place to put "that mug" on my dash, and maybe put all my well paid staff to work!
They should buy their own ship with what I'm paying them, or making themselves useful mining, building my own personal base, learning some engineering. I can't even get a coffee, despite obviously having an excellent coffee machine on my Krait
;D

I'd just like somewhere to put my mug.

Update confirmed for 2020… Elite : shelf :D

I wonder if FD will do something slightly different with the spacelegs thingy and go for some sort of drone that you can control.
This would enable you to cut straight to the external action of flying about in surface features or wrecks without all of the (potentially dull) wandering about to get to airlocks etc. Issues like gravity, harsh conditions & death outside the ship could be dealt with in a similar way to the SRV.

Update confirmed for 2020… Elite : shelf :D

I wonder if FD will do something slightly different with the spacelegs thingy and go for some sort of drone that you can control.
This would enable you to cut straight to the external action of flying about in surface features or wrecks without all of the (potentially dull) wandering about to get to airlocks etc. Issues like gravity, harsh conditions & death outside the ship could be dealt with in a similar way to the SRV.

"drone" =/= walking around
"drone" =/= immersion

see X4: Foundations. Very basic walking around, but very much immersion.

EDIT: Yeah, I can hear all the Yamiks impersonators with their "Meh iMMURshun"

"drone" =/= walking around
"drone" =/= immersion

see X4: Foundations. Very basic walking around, but very much immersion.

EDIT: Yeah, I can hear all the Yamiks impersonators with their "Meh iMMURshun"

FD reality =/= community expectation.

At this point i wold be happy with a free camera inside the Cockpit, just so i can have a basic idea of what the VR players get. :/

Community Expectations == Reality as promoted by Frontier

How "there's 100 devs working on Elite Dangerous" == "ED is in maintenance mode! Dooom!"?
How "We have nothing to reveal yet" == "atmos and spacelegs incoming hooray!" or "FDEV are a bunch of liars and still have not started developing the 'new era' yet (btw it'll suck anyway)"?

:)

Seriously. It feels like in every video they talked about stuff to come and what they are looking forward to most. Most developers answered these talking points with space legs related stuff, DB showed us some cloud tech, etc.

Why do you think they kept going on about those things to come in the future? Because they knew this would sell well. And after six years almost nothing of that has been added, instead we got PP, CQC, MC and so on.

So no, FD doesn't get a free pass on that. It's simply ridiculous to just blame the players for their expectations.

And passive-aggressive replies won't improve the situation either. :)

Last edited:
Seriously. It feels like in every video they talked about stuff to come and what they are looking forward to most. Most developers answered these talking points with space legs related stuff, DB showed us some cloud tech, etc.

Why do you think they kept going on about those things to come in the future? Because they knew this would sell well. And after six years almost nothing of that has been added, instead we got PP, CQC, MC and so on.

So no, FD doesn't get a free pass on that. It's simply ridiculous to just blame the players for their expectations.

I totally agree, zimms.

My (rather badly made) point was that we as a community are lead to believe that we are getting something (lead by a KS promise, a misinterpreted comment by FD that is then elaborated on by an eager forum member or something posted by FD on these forums that is then backtracked on), and are then disappointed by the watered down or weirdly implemented reality.

In short, don't get your hopes up, the reality might not be what you expect!

...Why do you think they kept going on about those things to come in the future? Because they knew this would sell well. And after six years almost nothing of that has been added, instead we got PP, CQC, MC and so on.

Accurate. Also fun fact, most of the profit from this game comes from new players; microtransactions from long term players are a smaller fraction. There is more financial incentive to create hype about the game then there is to fulfill it, unfortunately. We will probably get *something* on time in 2020, but will it be something that'll live up to the hype to come? I hope so, but I doubt it.

In addition to the weekly and monthly activity happening in Elite, we will also be releasing a series of updates roughly every 3-4 months. The first two of these updates will primarily focus on new player and welcoming experiences, and we will also be introducing a number of quality of life improvements for the entire player base, of which we will have more news on in the coming weeks.

It's been a few weeks, where's the news?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom