News Important Community Update (01/03)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I tend to disagree. Will there be bugs? Sure. But I don't think it will have as many show stoppers as the September update just had. Frontier know how important the 2020 update is for Elite and I expect more emphasis on QA than we've seen the last couple of days.
In addition, it's very likely that there will be a public beta lasting at least a couple of weeks. It wouldn't surprise me if there was paid beta access, perhaps bundled in a deluxe or pre-order edition like they have done with Planet Zoo.

Greetings......... I would like to touch on a simple subject that has been bothering thousands of Commanders for a long time....... STORAGE. When you have cargo in your ship and don't actually want to do the trek to sell it.... you just want to say swap into a smaller ship for some combat or other activity.... you CANT! This system NEEDS to be overhauled and allow the cargo to stay in the ship that it is in when you want to swap ships....... other than that why the hell not just give us some cargo space in a station. Yes...Yes.... I have heard players say but then they may store it at certain stations to help influence the BGF...... But if there was a cap limit then surely this can be achieved. I have spoken with hundreds of players personally and they have been griping about this issue for a LONG LONG time....... PLEASE fix it. EVERY other space game similar to ED allows the storage of minerals and ores...... so why cant we?????? I play EVE, I play SC, but love ED and will always play..... but for the love of God.... PLEASE allow us to store good somewhere....its so darn frustrating after mining for hrs....then just don't feel like taking a trek to sell...... and want to leave if for the next day. Please.... Commanders throw your support and comments about this issue.

Also are you Devs planning on fixing fleet mining? As it is still broken....... Anyway cheers..... We know you guys are doing an amazing job and I beleive that if you continue to bring good content.... ESPECIALLY the fleet carriers when they are ready..... you will SMASH Star Citizen..... but then again it may never come to life and fully launch as The Chris Roberts Retirement Fund is thriving lol...... Sorry Chris but its true......

o7

Greetings......... I would like to touch on a simple subject that has been bothering thousands of Commanders for a long time....... STORAGE. When you have cargo in your ship and don't actually want to do the trek to sell it.... you just want to say swap into a smaller ship for some combat or other activity.... you CANT! This system NEEDS to be overhauled and allow the cargo to stay in the ship that it is in when you want to swap ships....... other than that why the hell not just give us some cargo space in a station. Yes...Yes.... I have heard players say but then they may store it at certain stations to help influence the BGF...... But if there was a cap limit then surely this can be achieved. I have spoken with hundreds of players personally and they have been griping about this issue for a LONG LONG time....... PLEASE fix it. EVERY other space game similar to ED allows the storage of minerals and ores...... so why cant we?????? I play EVE, I play SC, but love ED and will always play..... but for the love of God.... PLEASE allow us to store good somewhere....its so darn frustrating after mining for hrs....then just don't feel like taking a trek to sell...... and want to leave if for the next day. Please.... Commanders throw your support and comments about this issue.

No, no and thrice no.

That undersides the entire trading mechanic. Maybe there will be a storage unit in the new 2020 update but for the moment. Leave the trade system alone. It's about the only thing that stayed true to the original game.

Also are you Devs planning on fixing fleet mining? As it is still broken....... Anyway cheers..... We know you guys are doing an amazing job and I beleive that if you continue to bring good content.... ESPECIALLY the fleet carriers when they are ready..... you will SMASH Star Citizen..... but then again it may never come to life and fully launch as The Chris Roberts Retirement Fund is thriving lol...... Sorry Chris but its true......

o7
Potential exploit.......community goal....store the goods, call the ship to CG station, bypassing the jump range limitation. Needs a counter measure.

Thanks Will & CO!!!! can't wait to to walk around my ship :-D
Not being funny but if I’ve waited 18 months there had better be something better than just walking round my ship which will be old by the end of the first week! This new era is EDs last chance saloon, game is practically on life support. I’ve gone from playing daily to playing once every 2 or 3 weeks. They need to hit a home run, space legs everywhere not just ships, missions, ability to steal ships etc, board and search.
Atmospheric landings also needs to be a thing finally! There’s no compelling gameplay right now which is why so many have quit playing, that and the broken instancing and rampant blocking and combat logging that is ruined open play

"Error: Frame Shift Drive malfunction. Please use space legs and go fix it because there ain't any space stations around here."

Ok... hmm. Will this get old? .. walking to the fsd but realize I am floating as there is no gravity.

"Hello there!" alien sitting on my fsd wiring

Ok... this was new... I guess space legs will always provide new and exciting possibilities!!! Thanks Frontier Developments!

and then I was immersed even more

"Warning: Alien swat team trying to break into your ship! Take positions!"

Ok... omg.. this is so cool!

"Error: Frame Shift Drive malfunction. Please use space legs and go fix it because there ain't any space stations around here."

Ok... hmm. Will this get old? .. walking to the fsd but realize I am floating as there is no gravity.

"Hello there!" alien sitting on my fsd wiring

Ok... this was new... I guess space legs will always provide new and exciting possibilities!!! Thanks Frontier Developments!

and then I was immersed even more

"Warning: Alien swat team trying to break into your ship! Take positions!"

Ok... omg.. this is so cool!
You’ll probably have to have the right materials to fix any repairs which will require gameplay to find. This I expect will be a thing as I’ve seen sketchups of zero g repairs both inside and outside the ship. Also seen sketchups of station interiors. David Braben once spoke of stowing away inside other players ships and stealing said ship iirc(🤔 maybe was just stowing away).
Either way a huge wait of 18 months raises expectations, sometimes unreasonably, but be in no doubt, it will have to rival what SC is currently on the verge of. I’m not a fan of SCs controls so far but everything else they’re cooking up is not far from exceeding ED. EDs flight model is far superior IMO and that is its saving grace.

Not being funny but if I’ve waited 18 months there had better be something better than just walking round my ship which will be old by the end of the first week! This new era is EDs last chance saloon, game is practically on life support. I’ve gone from playing daily to playing once every 2 or 3 weeks. They need to hit a home run, space legs everywhere not just ships, missions, ability to steal ships etc, board and search.
Atmospheric landings also needs to be a thing finally! There’s no compelling gameplay right now which is why so many have quit playing, that and the broken instancing and rampant blocking and combat logging that is ruined open play

Space legs (EVA) will add far more interesting gameplay mechanics than atmospheric planets. I agree that the EVA must be inside and outside all flyable ships, on planets and inside stations. It cannot be bare-bones nor underwhelming. It must be on par with what SC offers in order for ED to survive and thrive in the coming years.

If it also includes atmospheric planets then clouds, rain, seas and some flora, fauna is sufficient. More complex planets can be added later.

Last edited:
Potential exploit.......community goal....store the goods, call the ship to CG station, bypassing the jump range limitation. Needs a counter measure.

I wrote this in December 2018 and quote "
Evening All,
Just a thought, Why can't I leave my ship at a station with the cargo left on board. I think that would be a great addition as you could go around in your Anaconda or sidewinder or whatever you prefer really and collect rares or anything you may desire.

Then you could leave said storage ship at your desired station, jump in your favourite gunship (Fe-de-Lance, Assault ship, Mamba Etc.) or buy a new ship i.e. Vulture and do a few kill missions.

WITHOUT THE BAGGAGE. It's ridiculous that I have to take everything with me all the time.

This would make no difference to current play, by this I mean it couldn't be exploited? please correct me if I'm wrong 'without being an ****' and it would be a very handy addition.
Pug"

I dont see how we can mess up the trade system with this as if it only allowed for the cargo in one ship then I could sell it there anyway, in fact we would have to if you wanted to ping about in a culture for an hour.

I did write another post a while ago likening it to me having a fully loaded work van in real life and when I want to drive my E60 M5 then I have to load it with all the crap that is in the van...or words to that effect.

I fully agree please think about this and fo something about it as part of your debugging programme.
Regards
Pug

Depends how far away the selling station is as if its 20 minutes away you could probably do a trip or two anyway. They just have to think it through.
Regards
Pug

No, no and thrice no.

That undersides the entire trading mechanic. Maybe there will be a storage unit in the new 2020 update but for the moment. Leave the trade system alone. It's about the only thing that stayed true to the original game.

Never played the Original Game, but I've seen it, and to be honest, I wouldn't have played it back then.
I don't want to play it now.

Back to the topic at hand... Will failed to mention enough times that the new Update will cost Money, and the LEPers will not be paying for it. This must be stated and restated at least 3 different times, in three different ways, or they still feel as if they have not gotten their money's worth.

I also have to wonder if Will writes for the House of Lords, or the US political candidates, as in flawless form and style, a lot of words get used in these "updates", with absolutely nothing being said.

One point that was made, though somewhat understated - waiting for these monolithic updates is more like one's 20+th trip to Hutton, while waiting for details of what these updates will contain is real pain point.

Wake me up when there's some substance to report or announce.

I love this game as much as anyone - I just hate the long waits and longer silences.

Last edited:
I've got the lifetime expansion pass and I paid a bunch on top of that, including another account as I'm sure many if not most of the lep'rs have also contributed far more than that initial purchase.

there's a lot of people who would pay a subscription if it guaranteed the hiring of a decent writer for content and guaranteed dev time to implementing said content in the form of complex missions, inserted content to stumble upon, bgs related galnet stories that dont necessarily require dev work, and vetting user provided galnet stories again to facilitate role playing (this is the most important).

Lets say this person gets paid 80,000 usd a year. That's about 6,666.67 per month. That means at 5 bucks a month, we'd need just 1,334 subscribers in the entire world and this would be free for fdev to do. If it turns out more are willing then the subscription could drop ...if there are 6000 players left who play per month, 12 bucks a year would probably be an easy sell for ongoing content from a dedicated person who's only job is to produce content (or review user provided content) for this game.

Terra6790

Banned
lmfao he says 'long read' lol yeah all to say that there willl be a mammoth change in elite by late 2020? and that they willl throw us bones whilst we wait? woooaaah what a promise! and lool how they are so proud for having 'hundreds of thousands of players'? considering there are players with hundreds of accounts i wouldnt be so proud of that nevermind the noobs that are like wow with elite's trailer adn start and quit the next week due to stupid bugs\griefers....anyways idont really care about your content and new content (new? probably another parallel set of items\ships since you have real trouble in being creative\original) im just really waiting to see if the bug fixes you promised are any good!

Never played the Original Game, but I've seen it, and to be honest, I wouldn't have played it back then.
I don't want to play it now.

You would have done, because there was literally nothing like it at the time. People forget how groundbreaking it was.

Back to the topic at hand... Will failed to mention enough times that the new Update will cost Money, and the LEPers will not be paying for it. This must be stated and restated at least 3 different times, in three different ways, or they still feel as if they have not gotten their money's worth.

It all depends whether you got the an equivalent of paying for the LEP yet. If you bought it at the kickstarter or just after game launch, you're getting more than what you paid for after the New Era (That includes me so I'm happy). If you bought the LEP fresh at Horizons, then you'll need another update after New Era to get more than what they paid for. It's the people who upgraded to LEP from the base game to Horizons that have to get Two more updates after New Era to get what they paid for. So it's all a bit up in the Air really and it all depends what they're going to charge for New Era.

Mind you, I updated to DDF level and thought I would be involved in the game some more (DDF people were supposed to be able to influence the direction of the game to some degree) but they shut it down not long after I upgraded. So technically, that means it would be have to be Four Upgrades after New Era before I'd feel I got financially a better deal, However, I've gotten so much enjoyment out of this game, meeting people at the community events and even arguing with some of you on these forums, I ain't that bothered about it.

I love this game as much as anyone - I just hate the long waits and longer silences.

Totally Agree. Try doing a Radio show when there is this much of a content drought. Thank goodness the player base makes up for it.

P.S. Happy new Year Everyone.

o7

At least storage should be possible for salvageable cargo like guardian / thargoid stuff and cargo that is mission only. Cargo that can be purchased (even rares) should not be possible to store. I think this will solve any potential exploit.

if they just tie cargo to the ship ...then when you swap ships your cargo stays in your previous ship (if desired) ...no potential for exploitation as there is no difference here than if you had just docked your ship and stayed in it. Your amount of "storage" space is totally dependent on your ships ..just as it is currently and you can only access your cargo by switching to the ship with it. Ensuring that the feature doesn't create any new loopholes, but allows you to store a ship that has cargo without first offloading it or transferring it to your new ship.

real storage can be vetted out separately if desired. I consider that a separate issue from being able to swap ships without needing to swap cargo.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom