News Important Community Update

I've played numerous FPS VR games with full-locomotion just fine:
- DOOM VFR
- The Persistence
- Skyrim
- Firewall: Zero Hour
- Farpoint
and so on. If implemented well, and one has their VR-legs, full motion is not only fine, it's the preferred way to play FPS games.

Yes there would be additional dev work to support VR, but the core game already has VR implemented, unlike a flat game trying to refactor to get VR into their game.
I'd imagine the real problem with space-legs is giving enough content to make it seem worthwhile.

You might have been fine with the smooth motion, but one of the major complaints with VR FPS and the driving need for the teleport motion and hard viewpoint turn mechanics are due to how common it is for VR to make people motion sick. This is why I think they won't be able to simply add a FPS mode and just let it go. They would need to implement the teleportation mechanic, the 'click' mechanic to change the direction you are facing, and let's not forget the object interaction mechanics VR has. I'd be willing to bet money the current implementation of VR has accounted for none of these things.

You might have been fine with the smooth motion, but one of the major complaints with VR FPS and the driving need for the teleport motion and hard viewpoint turn mechanics are due to how common it is for VR to make people motion sick. This is why I think they won't be able to simply add a FPS mode and just let it go. They would need to implement the teleportation mechanic, the 'click' mechanic to change the direction you are facing, and let's not forget the object interaction mechanics VR has. I'd be willing to bet money the current implementation of VR has accounted for none of these things.

How would the teleportation work in a multiplayer environment? I can't see it myself. I think it will be normal locomotion. If you suffer from VR sickness then there are ways to combat it such as these items:

https://www.3drudder.com/

and

https://www.cybershoes.io/

I've always thought that the VR locomotion is due to low FPS rate and deficiencies in the user's equipment. I'm not saying it is the customer's fault, but that the process to run a VR setup is not as straight forward as a plug and play x-box controller. I do think that FD will waste their time implementing a "teleporting" feature to the VR and a VIVE and touch controllers to the experience, just give us mouse, 5 keyboard buttons and we'll set, or even with a simple controller. For the turning, a simple reduction of FOV like Skyrim does should be enough.

I'm one of those persons who get dizzy and get headaches just for trying to read in a bus, but somehow I've been able to play hours of Skyrim VR, Senua's Sacrifice and other games where I can get that kind of movement and I have not experimented any problem unless my FPS fall behind 45 fps.

Last edited:
Yes, BUT WHAT ABOUT..... VEEEEEE ARRRRR? Given the amount of tantrums thrown on these forums when VR things get broken, I can only imagine there being a huge outcry if space legs were implemented and VR wasn't handled properly... or even worse... removed from the game because it costs too much to support their future plans for such a small group of players... or even worse still... amazing features like space legs are dropped from the game because they couldn't decide on how to handle it properly in a mixed VR/non VR environment.

The games mentioned above didn't have to take these things into consideration. And, contrary to what all the "VR Devs" on this forum think, adding support for VR isn't a matter of flipping a switch on your game engine and walking away. Every new feature or change requires dedicated time and money to flesh out properly for both VR and non VR representations.

You want space legs? Well, it might have been here by now if the devs weren't trying to solve stupid VR problems. The standard for FPS locomotion in VR is teleportation using a touch controller. Imagine how ridiculous it would be to see other characters just disappearing and reappearing in another spot. Those shootouts on Pirate stations sure would be interesting! Good luck hitting the players using VR! Well, then you could just force them to use fluid movement, you might say... yea... I could see pictures of keyboards covered in vomit showing up on the forums. I had never been motion sick in my entire life until I played an FPS with smooth movement motion turned on... good lord that's awful!

Wow that is a lot of toys coming out of the or for an advertised.feature you don't like

No one forced.FD to support.VR and to make.a.big song and dance about it
No one forced.them to sell it on a "VR only" store front as a VR game.
You know what else.massively slows progress down and has forced features to be cut? Trying to support MMO like features. I would happily it all be cut and just have a.simple 4 player Local MP like say left4dead.

But that was not the game I bought

BTW you seem to have little clue about VR ..... ZeroG at least works exceptionally well in VR and games like from other suns have sorted gravity based for those who have vr sickness issues .
So long as it is more dead space than COD it will be fine

Last edited:
You've linked your Frontier account to your Steam account, so it's surely "automatic :unsure: " and "free (You paid the Premium beta and the LEP)".

😷
when i bought the premium beta came with the LEP and is linked with my Steam account, i guess i will wait.........I thought that for having the premium, we could try the odyssey beta too, but it only appears to us to buy.

Uh, takes me to the Spanish forums. I guess you need to find for yourself 🤷‍♀️

1621445346968.png

3 years of full production. several years pre production.... and still no PVP match making system in one of the most popular multiplayer game out there....

Top Bottom