News Important Mac announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Did you consider WINE? Some other official Mac ports of PC games work in custom WINE configurations.

FD really don't need wine, they have good coders who did initial OpenGL renderer for MacOS. Issue was that Apple stopped to support OpenGL at version 4.1, but Horizons need 4.3. Yes, it is that bad. If only Apple decided they want to keep supporting OpenGL for at least several years FD wouldn't have to do this (albeit considering Apple moving to ARM it really would just keep ED on MacOS for a while but not forever).

Apple has announced nothing. This ARM switch is still nothing but a rumour. Should it ever happen, it will kill Bootcamp.

Apple rumours have tendency to be right. Considering their moves with unifying look and feel of mobile and desktop versions it makes complete sense. Desktop has never been their market and they never really wanted it.

Apple rumours have tendency to be right. Considering their moves with unifying look and feel of mobile and desktop versions it makes complete sense. Desktop has never been their market and they never really wanted it.
Aside the fact that the desktop market is were Apple started and grew, they will still need desktop Macs in the future, as their mobile devices are fine for content consumption, but not for production: You can watch a multi-million dollar blockbuster movie on it, but you cannot edit it. You can listen to the latest music albums on it, but you cannot produce them. You can play the latest battle royale match-3 clicker gacha simulator, but you cannot develop it.

And Apple knows that, as this recent statement from Tim Cook shows.

Aside the fact that the desktop market is were Apple started and grew, they will still need desktop Macs in the future, as their mobile devices are fine for content consumption, but not for production: You can watch a multi-million dollar blockbuster movie on it, but you cannot edit it. You can listen to the latest music albums on it, but you cannot produce them. You can play the latest battle royale match-3 clicker gacha simulator, but you cannot develop it.

And Apple knows that, as this recent statement from Tim Cook shows.

You can edit movie on Windows on hardware which costs much less than Mac tower. I produce good music on my Linux home computer. Majority of Adobe Creative Suite subs are Windows.

Seriously, Mac Desktop is dead. This Tim message is basically trying to position it as a win. They know it isn't. But they also know that most of pros will move to Windows overnight because there's nothing unique about Mac anymore.

World really doesn't need Mac anymore.

Last edited:
You can watch a multi-million dollar blockbuster movie on it, but you cannot edit it. You can listen to the latest music albums on it, but you cannot produce them. You can play the latest battle royale match-3 clicker gacha simulator, but you cannot develop it.
Butbutbut maybe new Mac Pro in or after 2019 (I guess the previous wastebins are all full by now :p )

Hello Commanders,

As many of you will know, despite our best efforts, we have been unable to bring Elite Dangerous Horizons to Mac since launch due to technical barriers.

Why have you not moved towards using Vulcan? It's vastly superior to OpenGL and DirectX, and it's supported by macOS, Windows, Xbox and PS4

Why have you not moved towards using Vulcan? It's vastly superior to OpenGL and DirectX, and it's supported by macOS, Windows, Xbox and PS4

MacOS does not natively support Vulkan at the moment and it may never properly support it. What support there is still has to go through Metal.

I disagree here. The market needs competition.

What it really needs is a DX12 compatible OS that doesn't phone home every time you look at it. PC gamers are usually pretty good at building their own hardware, but being locked into M$ Win 10 phone-home is pretty depressing.

We've been pouring over DoD Secure Host Baseline and deployment strategy, including Edge boundary configuration knowing that our run on Win 7 won't be viable forever.

If we can get that done and find a WMC compatible solution for our network, we'll migrate. The clock is ticking.

The bottom line for PC gamers is that there aren't enough alternatives to Win 10 on the horizon and secure solutions will take some research.

You can edit movie on Windows on hardware which costs much less than Mac tower. I produce good music on my Linux home computer. Majority of Adobe Creative Suite subs are Windows.

Seriously, Mac Desktop is dead. This Tim message is basically trying to position it as a win. They know it isn't. But they also know that most of pros will move to Windows overnight because there's nothing unique about Mac anymore.

World really doesn't need Mac anymore.

Apple desktops and laptops are still very popular and will not be dying or disappearing anytime soon. They are the 4th biggest desktop/laptop supplier above Asus and Acer. Losing that will be a massive revenue loss.

That's certainly true, but not adresses the fact that all applications for Apple platforms have to be created on Macs. In addition, in case you missed it, Apple is now also investing heavily into exclusive content. Certainly would make a good impression if all that exclusive content had to be created on Windows PC, especially since Apple always touts itself as the platform for creatives?

No, Vulkan is not supported on PS4 and Xbox One. And whether it's really "vastly superior" to DirectX is a matter of dispute.

Apple dropped huge ball here :( Sad to hear this. Was convinced Metal 2 might cut it, but it seems FD got fed up a bit with Apple shenanigans.
Maybe it also has something to do with Apple deciding to drop Intel CPU and go with an ARM based technology instead. It would mean a lot of products have to be ported to new platform. Apple is leaving PC-compatible world, and hackintosh won't be a thing anymore.

--edit

I see in later posts that you know about the CPU switch. :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know if Apple's planning on figuring out a way to make Bootcamp work on Macs after the switch to the new CPU architecture they announced was happening, or will that kill Windows-on-Mac too?
There might be some emulators made that can run inside the OS, but I doubt Bootcamp would work. My understanding is that they're going with an ARM technology and not x86-64/AMD.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom