In all my time playing Elite, I never knew about this...

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date

Deleted member 110222

D
In supercruise, you can fly at full throttle, until you hit seven seconds distance, at which point you should drop to 75% throttle, and finish the journey.

Knowledge courtesy of some unnamed CMDR.

My trading and passengers are getting more time efficient now!

In supercruise, you can fly at full throttle, until you hit seven seconds distance, at which point you should drop to 75% throttle, and finish the journey.

Quite handy with Voice Attack if you're using a HOTAS.

Thanks, I have seen mention of the seven second rule; but no one actually explained how it is to be used. I will have to give it a try.

I have had a dedicated button on throttle which set it to 75% when I hit 6 seconds(not 7 as you were told) for nearly 2 years ;)

Great, now try 06

5 - 4 seconds here, nose down, nose up, use gravity to slow down (not recommended, go safe with 6). I alo have a key for 75%. Here is another one:
When You are 5 Mm to the station, you can go again full throttle. Still enough time to exit SC, great for running againts last second interdiction.

Edit: there is some thread burried deep into this forum about the art of speeding towards the stations and correcting the path if overshooting.

Last edited:
Or you could just rock in at full speed an cut to zero when slow down comes up and start spiraling in to drop momentum,. Gets you there far quicker and requires using some skill that many claim is missing from the whole SC game play.

A couple of mates and I use it in real life now... It started out in game

"Hey, how far away are you from the rez?"
"8 seconds out" (We use 8, not 7)
"Roger that"

But has seeped in to real life as an easy way to say 'nearly there/on my way/one second':

"Hey, we're already at the pub, how far away are you?"
"8 seconds out"

Last edited:
Or you could just rock in at full speed an cut to zero when slow down comes up and start spiraling in to drop momentum,. Gets you there far quicker and requires using some skill that many claim is missing from the whole SC game play.

When in SC, Gravity interference of nearby bodies prevents you from reaching 100%, even if you go full throttle and cut to blue the closest you can achieve in a straight line is between 05-06ish seconds (6 to be safe) and once you are close enough, throttle up again to 100%. still not worth it, unless you are running from a interdiction.

Sorry to hear that you didn't figure it out earlier. :D

Another thing, if you haven't thought of it yet, is to use the station viewer to the left of the radar to fly around and position yourself for a front-door super-cruise drop to the station. No need to fly the sub-light around the station anymore. It's a bit weird though, because the station has to point a bit down-left to drop out exactly in front of it.

Its really helpful if you're flying a big heavy slow trading ship. Much easier to position yourself in SC instead of SL.

Deleted member 110222

D
I have had a dedicated button on throttle which set it to 75% when I hit 6 seconds(not 7 as you were told) for nearly 2 years ;)

Yep'. As soon as the revelation was made to me, first thing I did on both Xbox & PC is set a hotkey to throttle 75%.

Here is another one I like, hit your 75% at 6sec then poke incremental throttle up one time and you can sail in pretty quickly at 5sec without overshooting, then use the 5Mm full throttle trick posted above to shave off even a few more seconds.

Prior to patch um 2.? - 2.2 I think, you would always overshoot at 5sec but they made a subtle change to gravity in SC. I made a 76% macro that's pretty slick.

Planets are another trick entirely...

And if you are in deep space and need to stop faster than that (like 2 seconds away) you can untarget the signal source or target the host star or next nav point, to stop almost instantly and not overshoot.

SECRETS

Top Bottom