In all my time playing Elite, I never knew about this...

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
Timings start at the 10 second mark for each one, I stream daily on Twitch where you can see it, and have had people leave stations minutes before me, up to 500 ls in front of me and still getting to the next station before them. The route takes a very reverse Fibonacci spiral shape from someone watching externally. Falling close to the drop out point as the speed is scrubbed off. Can do this without a gravity well too. Adding a gravity well just makes it faster.

And BRC, I believe I have several that do those races come into my stream and ask me how I am doing it so quickly and asking for tips on how to do it without VR or some way to look around.. if you can not see the numbers it makes it harder to know how to adjust your course.

Last edited:
Don't know about anyone else but this is how I'm currently picturing Malic and Esvandiary ...

[video=youtube_share;JFgTMYEaWlc]https://youtu.be/JFgTMYEaWlc[/video]

:D

late to the party (fashionably late of course) but as others have said go in full throttle and use gravity to slow you down its 10x quicker than sitting there at 75% watching the 6 second countdown blatantly lie to you, equally landing on a planet and spiralling in at the last minute is soooooo much faster

spirals are the future

LATEST-BEST-SELLING-4-Blades-font-b-Vegetable-b-font-font-b-Spiralizer-b-font-Spiral.jpg

chips...
carrots...
courgettes...
and now Elite dangerous...

late to the party (fashionably late of course) but as others have said go in full throttle and use gravity to slow you down its 10x quicker than sitting there at 75% watching the 6 second countdown blatantly lie to you, equally landing on a planet and spiralling in at the last minute is soooooo much faster

spirals are the future

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB10vuj...le-b-font-font-b-Spiralizer-b-font-Spiral.jpg

chips...
carrots...
courgettes...
and now Elite dangerous...

My Spiraliser is gathering dust at the back of the cupboard (on top of the Breville sandwich toaster). It was a complete bar steward to wash up!

Don't know about anyone else but this is how I'm currently picturing Malic and Esvandiary ...

:D

Heheheh. :D

Hey, talk is cheap, it's all about results! Speaking of which, I should probably get on and blow myself up so I can take part in Double Action Jackson this weekend...

Or shave time off docking.

Edit: I'll spare you for the experience of the other 856 attempts...
LOL! I was doing exactly those dockings yesterday in my clipper. It boosts to 500 something, and I'm still working on it, but several times, entering the stations looked just like that. Entering at 300 m/s and fast breaking inside and parking within a two-three seconds. It's exciting. And I never get any tickets for speeding?!?

It also worth noting that the gravity braking / racing approach is the best option for avoiding interdictions during approach.

I can testify. I picked up a bounty last week (an unfortunate accident involving a Sidewinder and a Class 4 Pulse Laser. Yes, I'm most embarrassed), and I've been able to avoid 90% of would-be interdictors simply by good execution of gravity braking. You can vary the technique for approach to landable planets, too, where you zip by the planet to scrub off your speed, then half-loop around and approach it from the back side.

For years I've had 7 bound to 75%, 5 bound to 50%, which is helpful to scan bodies without getting trapped in their gravity, so can pull away faster for next body scan/jump.
So hit 7 @ 7secs, wait until just before scanner range (distance varies with planet type), hit 5.

Last edited:
Heheheh. :D

Hey, talk is cheap, it's all about results! Speaking of which, I should probably get on and blow myself up so I can take part in Double Action Jackson this weekend...

Yes please!

Malic, you should come too, link is in my sig, and if you don't have a fully engineered racing ship, the Regulation Hauler is perfect for showing off your spiral docking speed. :D

Well, that makes sense.

Although I have to admit I've used the "loop of shame" to lose pursuers before today.

I think we should alter the slang and start calling the slow safe approach the Conveyor Belt method, rather than continue to shame the loop with its undeserved reputation.

Very informative vid! Alwasys thought that overshooting (the loop is a controlled overshooting) isn't a problem and that it actually saves time. Gravity assisted breaking is definitely the coolest but also hardest to get just right. The number of cases when I went too fast and still overshot and cases when I went too slow and had to go full throttle half way around a gas giant exceed the number of cases when I got it reasonably right BY FAR. :eek:

you can full throttle until it says "slow down", as soon as it does throttle to 0 while pitching down only until the white dot on the navigation circle goes hollow, then immediately pitch back up with throttle in middle of "sweet zone"... you'll never over-shoot and it's the fastest. it's more complicated to write than to do. even in an anaconda you're technically pitching 90* down then 90* back up. as soon as it register's that you're "away" (hollow) it's the same to the mechanics as facing 180* away although it's only 90* for a split second.

you can full throttle until it says "slow down", as soon as it does throttle to 0

Hmmm I've posted this before...

SLOW DOWN is not a command; it is a status reading. It means that you are brushing a gravity well and are being slowed down. You can check this yourself by flying towards a target in the same plane as other bodies in the system. Often, you will see SLOW DOWN even though you are hundreds of ls from your target - thus, SLOW DOWN can't be a command/suggestion relative to your target.

I know this from a lot of experimentation, because as a noob I took it as a command/autopilot suggestion. I'd slow down, and the message would go away, yet I'd get it again once I sped up, still ls short of my target. In other words, I'd be having a Zeno's Paradox problem, in that I'd never get to my destination because I kept on "slowing down." It drove me crazy until I started experimenting with it.

Finally, I found the 6-second rule, and that does work. OR - turn on Orbit Lines (panel 3, FUNCTIONS, Orbit Lines) and see if you're intersecting an orbit. Chances are that you are.

All I can say is, try it yourself. Make some experiments. The amount of times I see this here is convincing me I have to make a video of it (I have ShadowPlay but never used it).

Last edited:
CMDR relayer got it right. SLOW DOWN should be read as SLOWING DOWN.
edit: selecting USS will slow You down also.

Last edited:
Hi Un1k0rn,

there is one more time saving trick one can use, when you are in SC outside of big bodies gravitational influence...

When you want to jump into a USS, which is "quite far away" from you:

* most commanders do this: select the USS, when the timer hits 07, decrease throtle to the blue zone and wait...

* hardcore timesaving commanders do this:
1) select the USS just to scan and set the course to it
2) deselect the USS and keep the throttle on full (100%)
3) when they come close to possible overshooting, set throttle to zero (0%) and slow down VERY FAST
4) select the USS again (which should be much closer now) and go on as normal (blue zone until within the safe disengage zone)

Enjoy, fly safe, Karlos

Top Bottom