In-Game Classified Ads for Help on Missions

In real life we often make friends with those we do business with, but in Elite we only really do business with NPCs.

I think it would really foster co-operative play if we could send out requests for help in missions we are interested in hiring other players to help us with in-game.
The advert could broadcast to nearby systems (say to any other Commanders within 100 light years), and if the poster wants to move on, they can just click "expire offer".

A quick action button to take a mission we are looking at (in the station or our transaction list) and convert it into a "Help Wanted" advert could prefil the ad and automatically divide the rewards (if other players are accepted) exactly as if the players were in a wing mission together.

The players could be allowed to communicate but it would not reveal their exact locations unless they both click "accept sub-contract". After that its up to them to meet up. They can communicate and meet whereever and accomplish the mission together as a temporary wing.

Somehow if would be nice to specify you want to hire up to 3 additional people (like a wing mission), and if you can't get the desired number of people it would let you cancel the sub-contract because you have not yet formally accepted the original mission unless you get all the team members you want. (obviously it will notify the other players in advance about how many people you are looking for). If you accepted the original mission already it stays on your transactions list.

The missions would go into a separate tab on the Coms pannel so as not to get mixed up with the main game coms. The notifications would automatically vanish if any player moves out of range or the mission expires or the posters expires the offer or the mission is accomplished.

This would be an in-game mechanism I think would really let people meet other players who are more interested in accomplishing missions and less interested in PvP.

After accepting a job if either commander murders the other in the next 48 hours, they can be banned from this sub-system for a month (otherwise gankers will abuse this system to meet other commanders and murder them - they still MIGHT, but at least they will only do it once per month).

What do people think?

Yes please. I actually made a very similar suggestion last week, but I think I was a bit too chatty in it; even the tldr was tldr lol. I think this sort of bulletin board mechanic for combat, for hauling, for trading, etc would be fantastic. Right now we have no way to do anything other than use 3rd party forums to wing up with folks, and we have nothing we can trade in game to folks (in fact, I saw one guy offering real money for something in game because what else can he offer?). It's a really messed up situation.

ED is a great game, but the way that it actively tries to discourage cooperative multiplayer experiences is really disheartening. So much would open up if we just had a way to pay each other. For gods sake, there are pirates out there and I wanna tote stuff from point A to point B. Let me hire someone to protect me!

Top Bottom