In light of the 2.3 negativity I just want reflect my thoughts on ED

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
With every update there are quite the number of people who get their undies in a knot and start to throw salt around as if their lives depends on it.
I'm not completely innocent when it comes to venting my opinion in a tad exaggerated manor sometimes, but quite shortly after emphasizing my entitlement and so called expertise on game development I tone down to a state of acceptance.
The same occurred to me today and while I was reading through some ED related articles I realized again how awesome ED actually is.

When I look at my fleet then I feel good about it, the things that are there to do always keeps me busy.
I've only once had a moment of getting bored and that was when I was searching a planet surface for a settlement.
I've been playing ED since GPP and being bored just once in that span of time is not a bad accomplishment for a game me thinks.

Are there things that could use or realy need some improvement? Yes with a capital YES.
But overall ED is a fantastic game to me, my all time favourite.
Let's not forget what we allready have in ED when our opinions about some features set us up as if ED as a whole has turned into a pile of biowaste.
FD has a vision of how they see ED evolve over time, so far they've done a great job, even if there are some aspects that I don't like.

I wish to continue playing ED because of all those aspects that I do like, knowing that in time there will be more of those, loose from some features that are added that aren't my cup of tea.

When I look at this screenshot that I made recently then I have to admit that ED is truly an awesome game.....

31_1_2017_02_33_06.png

I don't think that the people who do a lot of complaining have what could be called a broad understanding of what big, sweeping changes some of these things are. Just take a look at what we got in Horizons pre 2.3

Planetary landing, bases, SRVs, and missions
New designs for stations, interiors and planetary bodies
New ships and equipment
Passengers and other new mission types
Ship-launched fighters and NPC figher pilots
The whole alien thing
The whole Colonia thing
Module storage and modification with engineers

That's a lot of content for one single expansion. Compare that to some other games where you get a handful of missions, some new weapon and armor skins, a new level cap and two new areas.

This is all expansive content. In that it opens up whole new areas of play - multi-crew can grow, planetary interactions can grow, engineers can grow, these things are foundation for more. There's a big difference between adding a thing to a game, and adding a new way to interact with the game.

Agreed, when 2.2 dropped I was super bummed that it was a passenger geared update, and I can't pretend im not disappointed that the only ship that was added was a passenger ship that I'll never use- but with it came some great QoL updates, so much so that some of my friends who couldn't get along with the difficulty levels, and grinding game aspects, actually picked it back up in the last few weeks and love it. It's a process that takes time, we all have our own ideas of what would make this game great, and FD proved my initial mentality towards their update process wrong. So good job FDev, you've got a gem here, and though the wait times are understandably long and painful for eager players, in the end you've delivered thus far. Excited for the future of ED.

also, SLF blew me away. I love it. My gimme gimme gimme mentality has me craving a carrier that can launch multiple fighters in the future.

Last edited:
Yes I don't need a lot of updates super fast for ED because it is a game with incredible longevity. Especially with the long term updates planned.

The scope is incredible.

It doesn't look like 2.3 has much in it for me in terms of Big Headline Features, but that's OK. I'm sure there'll be a bunch of little stuff and QoL improvements that'll impact my experience to a greater or lesser degree and I accept that my attitude of not really wanting other people tracking mud through my nice clean single-player Elite game isn't universally shared.

It doesn't look like 2.3 has much in it for me in terms of Big Headline Features, but that's OK. I'm sure there'll be a bunch of little stuff and QoL improvements that'll impact my experience to a greater or lesser degree and I accept that my attitude of not really wanting other people tracking mud through my nice clean single-player Elite game isn't universally shared.

From reading things there's not to much for myself, no complaints from me tho. There are other players who will get what they want.

There's still loads I haven't done yet, carry of FD I'm enjoying it as is.

2.3 doesn't hold much for me in terms of new content but that doesn't bother me at all. I've had so much from season 2 so far that anything more is merely bonus.

I can't wait to walk around my ship, in fact that is what I am looking forward to the most, but as it's not likely to be in this season it's just something to look forward to in the future.

Never has a game kept my attention for so long in the way that ED has and there is still more to look out for.

I betch and moan a lot, still love the game as is, not too sure where its going but it is still a great game.

Thing that makes me laugh about the whole thing is people moaning about the moaners like they are any better for doing so. its a internet forum för å game... Not Mensa..damn gone negative love is you need etc.

I totally agree. This game is so phenomenal in loads of ways that easily outnumber the bits that we would want improved. there are so many variables to the game that you can either become a true expert at or be not so good that you can try to improve yourself. I'm about 5 weeks total game over a period of about 6-8 months and there has been no other game that has come close to achieving the level of complexity, required skill and immersion. Along with that, the added content has been mind blowing.

Great post and duly repped.

Someone needs to complain about something on this tread already... don't want FDev feeling content now do we?
I think the anaconda is ugly.

Take it back! If anything is ugly it's the AspX space brick. I just don't understand it, the most useful ship in the game, yet it's so ugly and bricky.

Always thought the asp x looked like a stinkbug... especially when driving up in the srv lol. Then again, they can't all be Firefly transports right?

Isn't it a bit early to be complaining about 2.3 as a whole? We only have some sparse info about just one feature so far.

Isn't it a bit early to be complaining about 2.3 as a whole? We only have some sparse info about just one feature so far.

You would think, but that didn't stop DD from basically becoming a firestorm yesterday.

You would think, but that didn't stop DD from basically becoming a firestorm yesterday.

I can fully understand people reading something and not liking it, but it's very soon to say 'there's nothing in it for me' when we've just barely heard about the first feature.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom