In the Beta Spirit...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It’s likely too late for this Beta, but for the next one please consider...

... reenabling the ADS.

The reasoning given for not having it is that it would be detrimental to the FSS experience.
Well, let’s give it a try and find out.

Restore the ADS as it was.
An optional Class 1 module, that does exactly the same thing it did before which is also what still happens in discovered systems.

Reveals a system map, populated with Unknown bodies, that are also selectable in the Nav. Panel.

Go on FD, you know it makes sense.

The ADS made the exploration experience miserable before, why would it be any better now?

The mandatory nature of the FSS has made the exploration experience non-existent for me, so ‘miserable’ would be a step in the right direction.
I believe there are synergies with the ADS that would allow FSS usage to be far more selective and therefore more enjoyable for me.

Those who hated the ADS and don’t mind the FSS wouldn’t have to fit it and could keep that extra slot for something else.

Maybe in the 2021 beta would be nice... I think it would be too soon otherwise, what with all of the bug-squashing needed, and the new DLC due in just about a year.
But, considering that you suggested something, just for your own happiness to be added, perhaps we should all add a request for something that brings individual joy to our game...

Maybe in the 2021 beta would be nice... I think it would be too soon otherwise, what with all of the bug-squashing needed, and the new DLC due in just about a year.
But, considering that you suggested something, just for your own happiness to be added, perhaps we should all add a request for something that brings individual joy to our game...

Not much point asking for things that don’t. ;)

How's that different to dropping in to a system and doing a honk to acquire bodies and their orbits? Or did it tell you what type of bodies it found?

The only thing removing the old exploration modules achieved was to annoy customers that weren't complaining exploration was boring before.

They can just be added back into outfitting in the live game, the functionality of the ADS is still in the game in tagged systems & works just fine.

Jesus Hector Rodrigas Romero Julio Juan Sanchez Christ no, not this this again.

Not in this beta, not in the next 10,000 betas, not in this game, not ever again.

The ADS is dead and it needs to stay that way. Forget it ever existed, it was pure garbage.
Absolutely, but Murdock isn’t mature enough to accept FDev’s confirmation that it won’t be returning, so he’ll keep gritching about it until either he or the forums are no more.

Absolutely, but Murdock isn’t mature enough to accept FDev’s confirmation that it won’t be returning, so he’ll keep gritching about it until either he or the forums are no more.

Sure it isn't just a different view? I think the new exploration stuff has made what was a pretty nice & cathartic end-game activity into a grindy chore, I don't think any less of those who didn't enjoy it before or who prefer the new stuff.

Sure it isn't just a different view? I think the new exploration stuff has made what was a pretty nice & cathartic end-game activity into a grindy chore, I don't think any less of those who didn't enjoy it before or who prefer the new stuff.
Pretty sure, yeah. We are talking about someone foolish enough to give out his irl job position in an open forum, afterall.

I don't think it's just a marketing thing. Take a look at the Powerplay thread. The way FDEV and the community worked together was quite awesome.

it isn't a proper way to address this either.

in beta software bugs are to be expected, but the purpose and usefulness of betas isn't detecting bugs at all, but to see how functionalities match high level requirements and how a system performs and is perceived by their intended audience in a setting as similar to production as possible. testing for bugs is just plain testing, and there is a plethora of testing methodologies available in the development process. in house. by developers.

the concept and utility of betas has been spuriously misused for quite some time now, most notably in the game sector, but very notoriously by no other than google with their products in permanent beta state. this changed the perception of the public about what betas are about.

this has even degenerated into the asinine practice of selling betas as a product per-se, to players who would pay extra for a sneak preview or early access (another perverted concept), which obviously can only work in the overhyped territories of gamersland. that's not just marketing, it amounts to swindle in my view. frontier played this game aswell.

someone would argue that charging for beta is a way to filter out the participants, but that's just more arx some companies have come up with. if you want to do that, the sane option is a closed beta, where you let participants apply and select them based on relevant criteria, from availability to hardware configurations, location, background, motivation and whatnot. they are going to help you, so you make sure it counts.

now, in this particular context. ok, if you want to entice players to do your work for you and get away with it then fine. you can even instruct them specifically what tasks they should carry out unpaid! splendid. but such a 5 days beta isn't a serious compromise with product quality by any measure, since you have no way of ensuring that that unpaid work will be carried out in any sensible way. go figure.

i welcome frontier's decision to delay and to "rationalize the codebase" and all that, and i have of course no insight into what that means for them internally. i sincerely hope it plays out well, but this beta is not a good sign of any positive change, quite the contrary. looks arx to me, jim.

Last edited:
I stated this:
Nowhere in it does it say anything about a different topic.

Combining this with your feedback from the other thread, I’m forced to draw the conclusion that you’re either not a native speaker (which is okay) or aren’t entirely lucid at the moment if your words aren’t lining up with your meaning.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom