In The Black

..anyone else following this? Looks like they made a game specially for me!

• you get to pilot your own ship for real (not just canned FX like ED)

• obeys all 3 laws of motion with full 6DoF (unlike ED)

• devs understand that flying spaceships is fun because it's flying spaceships, not in spite of it - that the physics of flight is where all the fun is (opposite of FD)

Basically seems like the natural successor to Frontier: Elite.. and what have i been saying all these years? That zero-G Lazer-Quest with nuclear-powered tanks in space, with fixed beams isn't something FD 'invented'; sure, they got there first, but then abandoned it forever, but something obvious, something implicit and elemental, a hole that was inevitably going to be filled by some savvy devs eventually (decades, i've been waiting DECADES!)).. could this be the one? Proper multiplayer no-holds-barred furballs with no speed limits, nerfed axes or cartoon physics..!?!? What is the meaning of existence if not this?

Ain't even read that much about it yet - just from the blurb alone tho; these guys 'get it'..

Pesumably the basic skills honed in FFED3D will be fairly migrateable, so all us oldskool FE2/FFE players will be killin' it.. Can hardly wait to get into this..

Been watching this for a while and was about to start my own thread on the topic, but then I found this one. I suspect I'd enjoy the flight model and combat mechanisms of In the Black considerably more than Elite: Dangerous' take on things. However, the open world and non-combat gameplay aspects of Elite are also major draws for me, and thus far In The Black is pure combat.

A bigger problem, from my perspective, is Steam. I have key for the beta that went public yesterday, but the only system I have Steam on is my HTPC and I only use it for SteamVR. I'm not willing to patronize the platform, no matter how good any game is, and I haven't seen anywhere that In The Black will be available any where else. I'll probably give the beta a try, but I don't want to get attached to something I won't be able to play.

Anyone know if I'm missing something and this game will be available elsewhere?

Anyway, the public beta stream from yesterday (just click the link, I can't seem to get rid of the media tags):
Source: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/800850458

looks pretty cool but i dont really see the need for the ED snarks.
different games doing different things

Have to agree, I haven't played ED in some time now but theres no need for the sniping here when the games clearly have different visions of what's fun.

I'll keep a lazy eye on this though.

Top Bottom