General / Off-Topic In the thread.....So... Do we have free will? :)

Wasn't that song released in the 90s???
Let's do the math here...

many songs just like it... have been expressed through the ages...and continue on into infinity
the song... is the question of free will being posed to the listener..
the acknowledgement(by word or action) of remembering that which existed from time indefinite... gives words legal standing in the universe!!

many songs just like it... have been expressed through the ages...and continue on into infinity
the song... is the question of free will being posed to the listener..
the acknowledgement(by word or action) of remembering that which existed from time indefinite... gives words legal standing in the universe!!

I wasn't dissing the song, music is timeless and often transcends generations,
or sometimes is only discovered long after release.

I was merely referring to what Jason said.
She's gotta be 50 or 60 by now. Certainly not wife material.

I suppose that depends on one's interpretation of "free will".

There seems some implication in us humans that it means limitless possibilities and modes of action... I tend to think that nothing is limitless; including the universe we live in.

I think "free will" has to be in some type of contextualised, ethical mind space.

Example: One may have free will to commit murder but is that a good thing? If the society catches you will you suffer because you have brought suffering on others? Doesn't sound like a fun way of having free will to me.........

I suppose that depends on one's interpretation of "free will".

There seems some implication in us humans that it means limitless possibilities and modes of action... I tend to think that nothing is limitless; including the universe we live in.

I think "free will" has to be in some type of contextualised, ethical mind space.

Example: One may have free will to commit murder but is that a good thing? If the society catches you will you sufffer because you have brought sufgfering on others? Doesn't sound like a fun way of having free will to me.........
As I said in the proper free will thread: Psychopaths probably have the most free will, of us all.

if you take away... all those you listed.. do you only have the crazies left???
No, you have rational critical thinking people who believe in scientific cosmology and trust NASA, science and astrophysics.

If you think that list of nutjobs aren't the crazy ones you're squeezing the wrong sterno to drink.

The biggest enemies of Terra are wilful ignorance and the continued belief in stupid superstitions that divide us as a people.

As I said in the proper free will thread: Psychopaths probably have the most free will, of us all.
No, you have rational critical thinking people who believe in scientific cosmology and trust NASA, science and astrophysics.

If you think that list of nutjobs aren't the crazy ones you're squeezing the wrong sterno to drink.

The biggest enemies of Terra are wilful ignorance and the continued belief in stupid superstitions that divide us as a people.
I actually think that an ethical life where "free will" is exercised and religion(s) are totally anathema.

I would much rather base a "good life" in "free will" thusly:

We all have some vision of what the good life should look like. Days filled with reading and strolls through museums, retirement to a tropical island, unlimited amounts of time for video games…. Whatever they may be, our concepts tend toward fantasy of the grass is greener variety. But what would it mean to live the good life in the here and now, in the life we’re given, with all its warts, routines, and daily obligations? Though the work of philosophers for the past hundred years or so may seem divorced from mundane concerns and desires, this was not always so. Thinkers like Plato, Aristotle, Immanuel Kant, and Friedrich Nietzsche once made the question of the good life central to their philosophy.
(Emphasis added by me).

O.k. so I'm supporter of a rationalist view of existence.

That was going so well and then you said; trust NASA.

".......of course the 'O' rings will be OK!" or "We can turn the Shuttle around in six weeks." OK, I'm sorry; everything else you said, is valid.

Top Bottom