General / Off-Topic In the thread.....So... Do we have free will? :)

I think that 'pretence' is below arrogance.

hubris --> arrogance or excessive pride, often leading to a person's downfall. Hubris is a noun, the adjective form is hubristic and the adverb form is hubristically.

At first i was thinking it was a reference to Hubris Comics. But that was a wrong conclusion on my part.

Last edited:
hubris --> arrogance or excessive pride, often leading to a person's downfall. Hubris is a noun, the adjective form is hubristic and the adverb form is hubristically.
Now I am going to have to look it up, for the 1st mention thingy.

Pretence of knowing the will of the creator is hubris.
i wonder... lets put that statement to the test...
God creates life as it was in the beginning... is it wrong to say... God wants us to live?? would i be pretending??

let me then ask...but first before i do..
it is a common practice.. to test validity... based upon the testimony of others.. if 2 or 3 witnesses testify it is commonly accepted as Truth...
(wait for all manner of convaluted arguments to appear)

here is my question to you.. (and you dont have to answer)
If we accept God both created us.. and wants for us to live...
It would make sense... that the seed of God himself.. also do the same..
so in John 3:16.. when the proclamtion is made
did this occur also in the beginning??

Last edited:
Don't believe in magical super beings myself, but I am down with how Judeo Christian values helped western civilization form and prosper................
............ and then threaten itself with its own destruction.

Pretence of knowing the will of the creator is hubris.
There is need to believe in something and the reason for it is this:

What Is Terror Management Theory?

Terror management theory (TMT) attempts to explain a type of defensive human thinking and behavior that stems from an awareness and fear of death. According to TMT, death anxiety drives people to adopt worldviews that protect their sense of self-esteem, worthiness, and sustainability and allow them to believe that they play an important role in a meaningful world. Human survival instincts, and the need to reinforce cultural significance in the face of death, often result in displays of prejudice, or the belief that the group with which one identifies is superior to other groups. In this way, people confirm their self-importance and insulate themselves from their deep fear of merely living an insignificant life permanently eradicated by death. TMT proposes that individuals are motivated to develop close relationships within their own cultural group in order to feel immortal, to convince themselves that they will somehow live on—if only symbolically—after their inevitable death.

Terror Management Theory is basically the whole subconscious motivation for belief in anything other than a provable and generally agreed upon perception of reality....... and yeah; hubris.

Last edited:
For me, at my age, having seen both the best and worst of mankind, free will is just an illusion to maintain our sanity.

You are certainly free not to work, but try it and see what your life becomes. We are all slaves to some point in our lives.

o7...

i wonder .... is it still an illusion that a person jumps off a building.. and the resulting consequence is all over the ground??
Is the consequence real?? how can free will therefore be an illusion??

That was not free will. That is a delusion and someone who would do that is not mentally stable.

My brother is here and he is a licensed Pyschiatrist. His opinion is that you are confusing free will with mental instability, and apparently don't know what free will is.

the choice to prevent someone from jumping off a building... is a Real choice taking place... there is no illusion for it both makes sense

for the person who cares to prevent a mess after some crazed individual jumps off a building.... is a action.... a REAL action.. one can call it a decision or free will...

the individual choosing to jump... is making a conscious decision... whether it is silly or insane... the corresponding action is both REAL

if we accept that Free will is illusion... then you also accept that the corresponding action is also an illusion
im sure if you explained the sense of it all... to the parent of the individual who jump.... they'd think your both crazy and insane!!
Edit:

its all illusion or its all real

Truth is told. Facts are real. Therefore, what was believed to be the truth in the distant past. don't have to become facts; today.

I added a semi-colon, therefore not spamming. That is the truth and a fact. What is said above, is also fact.

The truth is told. It is believed, but it does not make, what has been believed to be the truth; a fact.

Technically, you can manufacture "truths" by building the proper axioms, there's a whole field about that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_mathematics

IMO this is as true as it gets.

Last edited:
That was not free will. That is delusional behavior and someone who would do that is not mentally stable.

My brother is here and he is a licensed Doctor of Psychiatry. His opinion is that you are confusing free will with mental instability, and apparently don't know what free will is.

It's a philosophic topic and discussion where no answer can be correct in any realm of reason.

I bet your brother had a fun time reading through all this! :D

And i surely don't envy the mods for having to do so as well :unsure:

how-in-the-hell-does-free-willy-get-away-with-33374938.png

Wow that seems a lot like life for some bizarre reason....... there are always spoilers.

Top Bottom