Increase supercruise drop-out distance from stations and outposts

dxm55

Banned
Obviously you didn't read the suggestions properly: it's been suggested SC is sped up to keep total time cost comparable.

Next, some of you guys will comment that SC becomes too short for interdictions to happen, both from NPCs and CMDRs alike.

Next, some of you guys will comment that SC becomes too short for interdictions to happen, both from NPCs and CMDRs alike.

In the case of NPCs, they can spawn and immediately interdict you, so that's not an issue.

CMDRs may have a valid complaint on short runs.

Since more than 99% of the time when we drop into a station we are alone, with no pursuer, no other ships in sight, this is a very bad idea. Why change the entire game for a fringe 1% occurrence? Why intentionally make the game worse for 99% of all docking scenarios?

It would add hours of useless, meaningless tedium for no reason. When docking, the point is we want to dock. Additionally, this proposed change would have zero benefit for anyone, 100% fail, in solo and private groups. The time difference by speeding up SC would not negate the additional time added - supercruise is too short in most cases already, and the speed difference in normal space is too large to compensate for by making SC faster.

One other point, we already have plenty systems where you can be pursued right up to the station: Anarchy. So, hang out there and have your thrills.

Quick note to idea-smiths: If your idea makes things worse for 99% of the people and only improves it for 1% it is a bad idea.

Last edited:
Since more than 99% of the time when we drop into a station we are alone, with no pursuer, no other ships in sight, this is a very bad idea. Why change the entire game for a fringe 1% occurrence? Why intentionally make the game worse for 99% of all docking scenarios?
A) The overwhelming consensus in this thread is that such a change should be balanced by faster SC transits, so ideally the change wouldn't cost more time on average.

B) The whole point is that there is now a bunch of stuff in the game that could happen in normal space during approach, but that current arrivals are over too quickly to allow them to unfold. The discussion has in fact be mostly about NPC interactions, so affects all modes equally.

C) Thanks for your passion, but addressing the other posters like idiots isn't going to get you a productive discussion.

100% support the OP. After modding my 9th ship on my 3rd alt at Kuk (have to get those specials you know, otherwise i won't be gud enough to play in open) this sit and wait in sc crap needs to go the way of the dodo.

edit: My other accounts have more than 20 ships each.

Reality was gameplay didn't really happen, was just more timer count-down timer watching.

Gameplay definitely happened around the more populated ports.

In the case of NPCs, they can spawn and immediately interdict you, so that's not an issue.

NPCs playing by special sets of rules is already an issue in and of itself; increasing their otherness is not something I'm keen on.

CMDRs may have a valid complaint on short runs.
I'm not convinced that tweaks to SC speed have any practical effect on players trying to interdict other players.

If a player pirate is waiting near the entry star, they are more-or-less guaranteed to have a window to interdict a ship that jumps in and beelines for a destination, during the deceleration phase, regardless of distance. If the ship instead flies into deep space it can stall almost indefinitely but eventually either the pirate gets bored, the target slows down and is interdicted, or one of them wakes out. If the ship tries to evade using gravity braking at the destination, it becomes a game of skill regardless of how long the SC journey was to get there. Meanwhile, if the player pirate is somewhere else in the system, only for rather distant destinations will they have time to get out of whatever gravity well they are in, and loop around to interdict a newly-arrived player. Unless they are waiting at the target's destination, in which case again distance doesn't matter, because they're just going to wait until the target gets close to try and loop out behind them.

All in all, given that SC speed affects hunters and targets equally, I'm hard-pressed to see when tweaking the speed would appreciably change the dynamics between them. Essentially no destinations are so close to the arrival point that actual reaction time matters - it's all about where the ships are relative to each other, and what paths they choose to take.

Top Bottom