Infinity Battlescape

0.3.5.1 HOTFIX PATCH ( Saturday, 08 December 2018 )

Originally posted by I-NovaeFlavien CTO/President & Cofounder - source link

An optional hotfix is available for patch 0.3.5.0. As it is very light and optional, we’ve decided to skip the full patch reinstall and go for a manual installation.

Download hotfix 0.3.5.1 here

Installation instructions:

Simply unpack and overwrite contents of the .rar in the Bin folder of Battlescape ( default: C:\Program Files\I-Novae Studios\Battlescape\Bin )

This should be a safe operation, no need to do backup of original 0.3.5.0 files.

The server was already patched earlier and is still compatible with 0.3.5.0.

This patch addresses 2 major issues related to the new capital ships collision meshes:

• Fixed precision issues with our physics library that caused capital ships to be ejected at high velocities and spin away from contacts with any kind of installation / station.
  • Fixed major framerate slowdowns when colliding with installations / stations in a capital ship.

Second beta week-end now OPEN - 0.3.5.0 feedback thread

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Infinity: Battlescape website: https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

Infinity: Battlescape forums: https://forums.inovaestudios.com

Some new screen shots from Alpha Patch 0.3.5.0

Kindly shared by I-NovaeHutchings Developer/Artist - on the I-Novae forums - source

I spent some time just flying around the system. Got some nice HiRes (4K) shots. Showing off new cockpit trim details.

7abcc55dede3a6b3676b3e041b09303d64672d9a_1_690x388.jpg

7abcc55dede3a6b3676b3e041b09303d64672d9a.jpg

7575204bc9cd786b1026fa6e1b21c771dd2823c2_1_690x388.jpg

7575204bc9cd786b1026fa6e1b21c771dd2823c2.jpg

bc9ac011b10768f8e44e263840d20458301378ff_1_690x388.jpg

bc9ac011b10768f8e44e263840d20458301378ff.jpg

128f5155ba3f46da2b32a46711396b730186ed42_1_690x388.jpg

128f5155ba3f46da2b32a46711396b730186ed42.jpg

5ae477528bafce57bd109ca947e1aa646a9d7e80_1_690x388.jpg

5ae477528bafce57bd109ca947e1aa646a9d7e80.jpg

8053398057433f55bb57bfcc921a998d73d0d33b_1_690x388.jpg

8053398057433f55bb57bfcc921a998d73d0d33b.jpg

Weekly Update #130: Capital ships, Armor plating, Heat mechanics

a54822ede39a618d7549444de8b131e4f5ecfa89_1_690x400.jpg

Hey everybody, time for another update. Last week we released patch 0.3.5.0 which introduced collision mesh bodies ( instead of bounding boxes ) allowing ships to fly close to the hull of a capital ship. Unfortunately, a bug in ODE ( our physics library ) went undetected and caused floating-point precision issues with large coordinates. This was addressed in a manual hotfix ( 0.3.5.1 ) the next day.

We made a lot of improvements to the game in the past weeks too. We tweaked the gas giant’s colors to cyan / blue ( instead of the old pink which was less realistic… ), as you can see in the picture below. More importantly, we introduced new game mechanics. The first one is armor plating. Every ship now has an armor plating level ( in the future it’ll be upgradable ) which reduces incoming kinetic damage on the hull. The idea here is that capital ships should be close to invulnerable to interceptor attacks, which at present is not true ( a group of 3-4 interceptors can easily destroy a cruiser, provided they focus on it ). Small ships, like the interceptor or bomber, have low or no armor plating, so this change is mostly affecting capital ship’s ability to sustain kinetic damage from smaller ships.

Note that the energy damage model is unchanged ( interceptor blasters can still deal full damage to a capital ship’s shields ).

18eab84d413659ac59c2223dedea5ad3b8111601_1_690x388.jpg

18eab84d413659ac59c2223dedea5ad3b8111601.jpg

The other change is more experimental and may or may not stay in the future, but is at least worth testing: heat mechanics. The main idea here is to prevent kinetic weapons from firing forever, uninterrupted, which sometimes looks silly in game. Each kinetic projectile accumulates heat, which dissipates at a constant rate over time when not firing. When the maximum amount of heat the ship can sustain is reached, the weapons systems shut down and it is no longer possible to attack for a few seconds. Obviously, this is our first iteration on this system so the balance is off ( especially for interceptors ), but the key point here is the potential for this mechanic to be tied to environmental effects ( not getting too close to the sun, or to a lava surface, or to a hot atmosphere ) and/or missiles locking ( some missiles could lock more or less easily depending on the target’s heat emissions ).

An alternative is to remove the heat mechanic and replace it with a simple reload mechanic instead. This change would be pretty easy to implement, but it has less potential for interactions with the environment or with other systems. It would also likely be more reliable and less frustrating for the player, so a choice has to be made here. It is possible that we’ll end up experimenting both and decide after beta which mechanic we’ll cut and which one we’ll keep.

Below you will find a question we would like you to vote on please - Q1

Q1. Considering both mechanics, we can host a poll to see which one players would favor in theory:

Go to the original post please to vote on Q1 - HERE

e6231fee501d972880723e0953ecfaf7e34da61f_1_690x388.jpg

e6231fee501d972880723e0953ecfaf7e34da61f.jpg

Last patch also introduced the new capital ship control scheme. Unfortunately I lacked time to finish the initial implementation, so this first iteration is pretty bare bones. The main idea is to separate the view control ( looking around the ship ) from its movements / orientation ( so you can look on the sides while it is moving ). It is similar to what you find in games like Dreadnought, Fractured Space or World of warships; except it’s a bit more complicated, as those games typically only deal with pitch and/or yaw, but not roll, and their gameplay is roughly oriented on a 2D plane/volume, while Battlescape is 6 degrees of freedom. At the moment, a key is dedicated to aligning your ship’s orientation to the camera’s. It is bound to “forward”, which prevents the ship from accelerating directly ( you can still set the throttle / target speed though, of course ). I’ll probably end up moving it to another key ( maybe left-control, which acts as the view-around key, which is always active in the capital ship control scheme, so it’s useless ? ).

Another idea is to take the game into a different direction, more RTS-like for capital ships, utilizing point & click to control their movements. I’ve been playing with this idea for a while, but practically it does not work so well, again for the same reasons: 6 DOF means you need to be able to orient your ship in any direction ( including roll ) or strafe; but using point & click restricts most operations to a 2D plane ( which could be user-customized at any time ); but even then, solving the issue of roll and depth above/below the 2D plane, would require… a lot of clicking… for every single little movement… which defeats the purpose of Battlescape being an action game in the first place. Therefore, I currently have no plans to push this idea any further.

Next week many of us will be leaving for Christmas vacation. But don’t worry, there is still more to discuss, and especially about more experimental changes coming in the next patch ( target: second week of January ) related to the flight model and AI. This should be pretty interesting!

-Flavien Brebion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pledge Upgrade: https://inovaestudios.com/Account#products

Last edited:
Weekly Update #131: AI and flight model experiments

3093fad7ff97a3a5a075bf9f25c5e3f33371e45d_1_690x400.jpg

Hey everybody ! We’re just back from our end-of-year vacation and wish you a happy new year. As you can imagine, development has slowed down in the past 2 weeks, but I started to work on a bunch of experimental changes that were on the todo list for a while.

AI improvements

The interception algorithm was redesigned. The old algorithm wasn’t anticipating well enough where a moving target would lead and lagged behind. The new algorithm takes that into account. You can see the difference in the following picture ( click to zoom in ); the red object is moving from top-right to top-left with a constant velocity, and the green object starting on the bottom right tries to intercept it. As you can see, the new algorithm immediately leads towards the future position of the red object and intercepts it twice as fast as the old algorithm…

b3a70979f778d21a53650dfb84e4eaa71aeba398_1_438x500.png

b3a70979f778d21a53650dfb84e4eaa71aeba398.png

The interception code is currently in use in various systems, so all of these will benefit from the improvement: bots AI, flight assist ( formation modes ) and missiles/torpedoes.

On the topic of AI improvements, I’m currently working on rewriting the bots AI. Battles ( especially the large ones involving 100+ targets ) are too chaotic. Now, chaos in battles is somewhat expected and desirable, but our AI code basically ignored any teammate. The new AI will take teammates positionning into account. For this, I took inspiration from “boids” algorithms. If you don’t know what a “boid” is, just google the term and look videos for “flocking simulations”. Here’s a video where you can easily see what it looks like:

[video=youtube;WUXq7GYH62Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXq7GYH62Y[/video]

Those algorithms are used to recreate the natural behavior of animals ( or fishes underwater ) flying together as a crowd from a set of very simply physical rules.

My goal is to have battles form structures: ships flying together, in formation and covering for each other, and only breaking formation during dogfights with a specific target. Then regrouping after the fight is over. The result is that we should see “clumps” ot ships flying together much more frequently.

Another important change that I’m working on is having a clear start / end to battles; At the moment, battles randomly start all over the world without any clear indication on what’s happening. In the next update, the AI commander will accumulate credits on a per-location basis, instead of a global pool, and schedule fleet battles accordingly once a credits pool for a given strategical insllation target is reached. Once scheduled, a timer will appear, letting all the players know that a battle will start at location X in 5 minutes. The AI will also stop reinforcing once credits are exhausted, resulting in a clear loss for a side after a while. If I have time, I also want to give the ability to bots to attack enemy structures… which as you can imagine, will cut down the match duration by a lot.

871d55b9ca6896d004d806e8a0ec9c1ea013cdb9.jpg

Flight model experiments

The next patch will also introduce a bunch of very experimental changes related to the flight model and weapons range. Before Christmas I tried to reduce ships accelerations by half, but didn’t like the result ( it felt like there wasn’t enough difference in acceleration power between some ships ). I settled on a reduction of ~20% for the interceptor, ~15% for the bomber and ~10% for the corvette, and no change for the capital ships, as a starting point for the new patch. I also reduced accordingly some of the weapons projectile speeds, and introduced a “soft” cap speed for all the ships ( basically, the target / throttle maximum speed cannot exceed 10 seconds of acceleration. This makes more sense than a bar that goes up to 50 km/s, which nobody used ). Note that you can still go over the cap temporarily by manually accelerating.

There is still a lot of work to do for the next patch, so I’m not sure when it’ll be released, but we’ll probably have a better idea next week.

-Flavien Brebion

Weekly Update #132: The Road to Beta

5af35cd00cd5abe7e625342b59d0c79a80307418_1_690x400.jpg

Hi everybody ! In this update I would like to come back on the state of the project as well as our plans and schedule for this year.

We’ve recently announced our permanent beta launch on the 9th of February for Lunar backers or above. For the full details, check this thread on our forums:

Infinity Battlescape Beta launch: 9th February 2019

The choice for the date has been tricky. As you may be aware the game isn’t feature complete yet. However we feel that beta backers have been waiting for a long time already and Keith will be mostly unavailable between mid-February and March (he’s preparing his wedding), so the next window of opportunity would have been April which was too late.

The other problem is that we still need to invest a significant amount of time on the user interface / menu system, as many of the remaining game features have a dependency on it (like the star map, missions screen or equipment upgrades). This will likely take weeks, during which there will be no further patch or gameplay changes. This is currently scheduled to start right after the beta launch, so starting mid February there will be a period with a slowdown on development news / patches until the first version of the UI is ready, probably around early April.

In the short term, for the beta launch, development will focus on the AI and flight model updates, finishing up the capital ships control scheme and weapons systems, and tentatively the return of the asteroid belts. I originally wanted to publish an intermediate patch for the flight model updates, but the AI changes have been pretty complex so in the end the next patch is scheduled for early February, right before the beta access.

Once April comes, we will be focusing our efforts on implementing the last remaining gameplay systems. We have been working hard on this game for many years and as you can imagine, delaying the game to 2020 simply isn’t possible any more for a lot of reasons so we’re currently targetting a form of launch or another after mid summer. We’re going to evaluate our development status around May-June to decide if we go for an Early access or directly for a full release. It is pretty likely to be an Early access though as we still have a lot of work to finish and content to add before Battlescape could be called a full game.

d154e3cb06cace997609097d85478be632dc23ac_1_690x388.jpg

d154e3cb06cace997609097d85478be632dc23ac.jpg

In other development news, the AI behavior / boids changes are almost finished. I’m pretty happy with the way things are turning out. Battles certainly look more structured and interesting than before. There is still one blocker: I’ve entirely reworked the priority / targetting systems, so that capital ships favor attacking other capital ships (rather than often trying to chase a lonely interceptor, like in the current public version… sigh… ) and interceptors favor attacking other interceptors or bombers.

One thing isn’t work out too well yet: bombers. Due to interceptors having a higher priority towards attacking them, bombers often get “ganged up” by tons of enemy interceptors at the beginning of the battle. It is pretty hard to find good parameters / weights to the heuristics formula so that interceptors have a higher priority towards attacking bombers, but aren’t ganging up too quickly on them either.

On the art side, Dan’s still working on collision meshes. Once all collision meshes are ready, we’ll implement more refined intersections for projectiles (using the collision mesh instead of the bounding box). It will look more pleasing visually too but I wonder how this will impact hit accuracy when a player is firing at a distant interceptor (it is easier to hit a big bounding box, than an actual mesh with a more complex shape). This means that we’ll probably have to rebalance the small ships weapons and/or interceptor stats at some point.

e5cc95af5ab5d55866147fe42518bdee2f4fd658_1_690x388.jpg

e5cc95af5ab5d55866147fe42518bdee2f4fd658.jpg

Kristian has finished texturing the cruiser or almost. He still has to generate a UV map for ambient occlusion and color map skins. We should be able to present some renders in the next update. Our goal is to have all ships texturing finished (or close to) by April.

Jan is still doing a lot of misc work, related to improving geometry / texturing on station modules, experimenting with new particle effects, importing new weapons meshes (we now have the assets for laser countermeasures and missile/torpedo launchers for capital ships) and more.

-Flavien Brebion

Weekly Update #132: The Road to Beta

One thing isn’t work out too well yet: bombers. Due to interceptors having a higher priority towards attacking them, bombers often get “ganged up” by tons of enemy interceptors at the beginning of the battle. It is pretty hard to find good parameters / weights to the heuristics formula so that interceptors have a higher priority towards attacking bombers, but aren’t ganging up too quickly on them either.

Hmm...should not interceptors also act as a fighter screen for bombers so any friendly interceptors within X distance of a friendly bomber under attack should engage it's attacker.

Saturday, February 9th 2019 : Beta Weekend No.2

Originally posted by I-Novae Hutchings - Developer/Artist - source

755932c0561e2251dd0186e891e7f4f6afa2b14a_1_690x400.jpg

You’ll need access to the Beta to participate in this Community Event. See all the FAQ for the Beta Here

As of February 9th, Beta Backers will be given PERMANENT access to the latest build of the game. We’ll be hosting an official in-game meet up on that day. Details Below

Saturday, February 9th 2019 : Beta Weekend No.2

Event Time…
20:00 Saturday, Coordinated Universal Time (UTC)
World time Buddy Event : http://bit.ly/2MQGfJn

We’ll stream for 2 hours, and get in game throughout the weekend.

Event “Schedule”

Join the game

Get on Discord Infinity Community Discord Server

• This event will coincide with the first Beta Patch, Ship controls, collision meshes, visual FX, Ship Materials, gameplay systems, new weapons, and more… So we’ll review the latest updates.
  • Test systems added or changed in the patch, and get some PvP gameplay going.

Going to cover the updates on stream first, then explore gameplay for 1-2 hours live

We are likely to stream the gameplay on the I-Novae YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/user/InfinitySupport/videos

Last edited:
Weekly Update #133: Cruiser - Road to Beta

262d0e860d88ecfa64acea5783347a3ff79e9673_1_690x400.jpg

Hey everybody. This will be a quick, screenshot-intensive update, as we’re gearing up for the beta tomorrow and a lot of work remains to be done ! But we’re happy to show you the results of our first textured ship, the cruiser. Keep in mind it’s a work in progress, we’re still tweaking the materials, adding decals and more effects.

Concept/Renders:

d27b59923e468244b1466fdcc9e8dbc7f984b0fa_1_690x387.jpg

d27b59923e468244b1466fdcc9e8dbc7f984b0fa.jpg

411d6e8289ce103546812a11778b66e715aad517_1_690x310.jpg

411d6e8289ce103546812a11778b66e715aad517.jpg

In-engine:

2f3d7fe897aec25da6ef85ec6102dd404ff0e067_1_690x381.jpg

2f3d7fe897aec25da6ef85ec6102dd404ff0e067.jpg

51ae9b3c0c1dff57f413d3ac965466029671fdd1_1_690x381.jpg

51ae9b3c0c1dff57f413d3ac965466029671fdd1.jpg

c6b84afa44b94d18ad717436df43cfcb2c75d8be_1_690x381.jpg

c6b84afa44b94d18ad717436df43cfcb2c75d8be.jpg

The red color map you can see in these screenshots is only the default skin. There are also 8 more that we are experimenting with, and they’ll also be available in the beta patch. Much less work has gone into them yet, so they’re more like proof-of-concept than the default dark red skin, but here’s a picture showing them all:

08354fe37ffe7bb23f257f088835f6c7742f16a2_1_690x382.jpg

08354fe37ffe7bb23f257f088835f6c7742f16a2.jpg

4b85ecc8cf2cd58d7d701d3b1cff4457c0941146_1_690x382.jpg

4b85ecc8cf2cd58d7d701d3b1cff4457c0941146.jpg

e61e5da24866fd05ad24b6e035c7f526f7546f94_1_690x382.jpg

e61e5da24866fd05ad24b6e035c7f526f7546f94.jpg

3593015ce912ca2d44bf1a2c53e3db3978c0809a_1_690x382.jpg

3593015ce912ca2d44bf1a2c53e3db3978c0809a.jpg

010fda8fd63bb12c44dfbb0c80bc999d73894898_1_690x382.jpg

010fda8fd63bb12c44dfbb0c80bc999d73894898.jpg

6b1095b08a4b46e870c3b3c03565081e805372cb_1_690x382.jpg

6b1095b08a4b46e870c3b3c03565081e805372cb.jpg

4b0dab4e72d55eabe94747f13006274c04d50711_1_690x382.jpg

4b0dab4e72d55eabe94747f13006274c04d50711.jpg

61c5df7cc4d7537dc247a6bb7dc483b60d5377a3_1_690x382.jpg

61c5df7cc4d7537dc247a6bb7dc483b60d5377a3.jpg

c4b136e3ea03d66999bd423d8a8264c3f9442ec1_1_690x382.jpg

c4b136e3ea03d66999bd423d8a8264c3f9442ec1.jpg

-Flavien Brebion

Don't forget the beta weekend community event. See the previous post for full details.

Last edited:
Beta Weekend Game Patch - 0.4.0.0 ( Saturday, 09 February 2019 )

Welcome to the Infinity: Battlescape BETA.

Please keep in mind that many assets are placeholder or work-in-progress. Most ships are still untextured, gameplay features are missing and UI is basic (no star map, no missions menu, no ship selection or upgrades menu). We will be
iterating both on the visual effects and gameplay in the coming months.

Have fun and let us know your feedback about the game on our forums, thank you !

Full game patch changelog here: https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/patch-and-updates-notes/2996/42

d7929cee35ae73f14c1574393ab884040ceca78e_1_690x388.jpg

Full game patch changelog here: https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/patch-and-updates-notes/2996/42

Beta Game download here: https://inovaestudios.com/Battlescape

Beta 0.4.0.0 Feedback Thread

Last edited:
Infinity: Battlescape - BETA Launch Event

Originally posted by I-NovaeHutchings - Developer/Artist - source

[video=youtube;NTbTYNTW5To]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTbTYNTW5To[/video]

Quick presentation of the textured cruiser

[video=youtube;150ANpgnCj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=150ANpgnCj8[/video]

Infinity: Battlescape - Now that we are in Beta

Originally posted by I-NovaeHutchings - Developer/Artist - source

Now that we’re in BETA…

I’m looking to organize more community events, please let me know which time(s) could work for you.

• Confirm your UTC time conversion for your local area before voting, and take into account future daylight savings adjustments if they apply to you.
  • Check conversions here, world Time Buddy https://www.worldtimebuddy.com/
  • Assume events will last 1-2 hours playtime. (Some events will be streamed on our YouTube channel)
  • If you have thoughts on meet up times, or things you’d like to see us do in future events, please discuss them in this thread.

Please come to the forum and vote on this please:

https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/i-novae-community-events/6523/60

Top Bottom