Infinity Battlescape

I bought it last night. Performance on my laptop leaves something to be desired, and the key bindings are a bit of a mess (the axes are mislabelled in the game, and the mouse axis controls are active when you're in the menus) but I had fun once I got stuff mapped.

I'll have a go on my desktop rig tonight. Hopefully I'll be able to get high and stable FPS.

I'm joining this thread late and don't have time to read through everything, so here are my FAQs:
  1. How is the flight model in this game? Is it 6DoF like ED? Or is it the other end of the spectrum like Everspace?
  2. How customizable are the controls? Can I reassign axis to different functions, or am I stuck with the developer's choices?
  3. What input devices are supported? Specifically, will this support a game controller or a flight stick?
  4. Do you think it's worth the $35 USD, especially considering the roadmap for next year?

I'm joining this thread late and don't have time to read through everything, so here are my FAQs:
  1. How is the flight model in this game? Is it 6DoF like ED? Or is it the other end of the spectrum like Everspace?
  2. How customizable are the controls? Can I reassign axis to different functions, or am I stuck with the developer's choices?
  3. What input devices are supported? Specifically, will this support a game controller or a flight stick?
  4. Do you think it's worth the $35 USD, especially considering the roadmap for next year?

It's still early access but it sure looks like it's well on it's way to become The Ultimate space combat game.

1 - 6Dof, pure newtonian, sim-like. Optional flight assist. I do prefer ED's flight model, mostly because ED feels more like flying a airplane/helicopter crossbreed than a spaceship and I actually like that. I also felt like IB flight model lacked some "weight" and it did disappointed me at first, but that may be because I only flown the smallest fighter and I'm used to flying mostly medium ships in ED.

2 - Controls will be fully customizable, the UI is there, but changing them doesn't seem to work for now (at least for me).

3 - Supports HOTAS, but see (2)

4 - I have no doubt will will be well worth the 35$, for now it depends on how invested you may be in the game's future.

I wish ED had the same travelling system IB has, without any transitions, and with speed caps being tied to distance from objects. Flying through planets is a joy, you just need to get over a couple km from the ground and you can go very, very fast.
At 1 km high you can already go 2500m/s, and at 10km high the speed cap goes to almost 5000 m/s. I can't properly express in words how much more enjoyable it is to fly over a planet at 2500 or 5000 m/s or more, compared to ED where I need to strap a woodpecker to my boost button to go 400 or 500m/s and still take hours to get to the other port in the same planet, or having to go back to orbit and then descend on the new destination.

Last edited:
I can't properly express in words how much more enjoyable it is to fly over a planet at 2500 or 5000 m/s or more, compared to ED where I need to strap a woodpecker to my boost button to go 400 or 500m/s and still take hours to get to the other port in the same planet, or having to go back to orbit and then descend on the new destination.

How do they solve the problem of combat when there is such high speed.

How do they solve the problem of combat when there is such high speed.

Combat is always around infrastructure, either space or ground installations, because the purpose of combat is to gain control of infrastructure. The more infrastructure you control, the more resources your faction has to spawn better ships. As the speed caps are related to proximity with objects (either planet surface or space installations), this means that combat takes place at low speeds, while travel remains unrestricted.

I'm assuming I can play IB without Discord, correct? Being a PS4 gamer until recently, I'm new to this "You NEED to be on Discord to play PC games" mentality. I'd rather not, thank you.

I'm assuming I can play IB without Discord, correct? Being a PS4 gamer until recently, I'm new to this "You NEED to be on Discord to play PC games" mentality. I'd rather not, thank you.

I don't care about Discords too. You definitively don't need it to play.

Bear in mind that even though the gameplay and especially the flying is already in a very good state, the game as a whole is still very unpolished. The UIs, maps, menus are still very barebones, there's no turorials or explanations about virtually nothing, and the textures are still mostly placeholders (but the geometry is already very good).

It's already in a great state to "take a ride" and have a feel about what it will become, but don't expect a proper "game" yet for your 35$. if you still aren't sure you'll want to keep it, bettter hold on for a while until future updates and watch some videos instead.

Bear in mind that even though the gameplay and especially the flying is already in a very good state, the game as a whole is still very unpolished. The UIs, maps, menus are still very barebones, there's no turorials or explanations about virtually nothing, and the textures are still mostly placeholders (but the geometry is already very good).

Yea, i mean, planets and assets feel very bare bones but they have a good core going.

I'm near south africa and i play on EU or USA servers most of the times without any real problems against AI and real players, there seem to be some kind of ping compensating stuff for aiming in game. I didn't esperience any rubber banding effects like on Elite or Starcitizen.

The biggest problem I have with IB is the population - the most players I've seen online on the Asian server is 2.
Well, it's in early access and so far gameplay have not changed much at all in a year and a lot of assets need polish.

So a lot of players might be waiting for the 1.0 to reach a release state.

This letter has been created with and after much effort, consideration, thorough discussion and there is no levity in the decision to change the approach we usually employ to talk to you.

This has to be written by this dude:

kG4HYlO.png

They are working on core aspects of the game engine, and other unsexy, not obvious aspects. This is important part of the development, as stated by INovaeKeith in the replies to that thread. I prefer that over CiG approach of continually putting out new fluff to appease the fans while ignoring the core issues of their game engine...

Top Bottom