Jorki Rasalas
ammonia magma/geysers
Smootoae CH-D b12-2 (15 geologicals)

Name:The Annular Disk
Game map search ref:Swuenua QU-O d6-5
Full Stellar reference:Swuenua QU-O d6-5 1
Region:The Bleak Lands
Sector:Formorian Frontier
Description:Upon first look, it seems the ring of this brown dwarf seems to go on forever, almost looking like a disk.
Screenshot reference:http link: The_Annular_Disk [Cropped 640px]

extra http link: The_Annular_Disk-FULL [Full resolution]

Last edited:
...seriously, are people even trying anymore? It seems that most of what's been posted recently since the project reawakened hasn't been remotely up to the standards required for submission for the mapping project.

That's a good question. A quick look at the current data shows these numbers of planets:

ABCDEF: 3068
ABCDEFG: 222
ABCDEFGH: 8
ABCDEFGHI: 0

That last one might not be possible, since it would require 9 "primary" stars in the system.
Are you looking for those specific strings or number of letters (or would you catch BCDEFGH in the same bucket as ABCDEFG)?
Those specific strings, so there could be many more with different subsets.

I wrote a script to look a little deeper:

Pattern or Star Count / Systems / Planets
5 / 4505 / 9045
6 / 564 / 994
7 / 61 / 95
8 / 2 / 6
ABCDE / 4410 / 8791
ABCDEF / 558 / 984
ABCDEFG / 61 / 95
ABCDEFGH / 2 / 6
BCDEF / 71 / 193
BCDEFG / 5 / 9
CDEFG / 18 / 46
CDEFGH / 1 / 1
DEFGH / 5 / 14
EFGHI / 1 / 1

This script was a lot more flexible. It's looking for planets orbiting 5+ stars. The only requirement was that the planet directly orbit the stars (names with something like "... ABCDE X" (where X could be any numerical digits), and that the pattern had to be letters in contiguous alphabetical order.

I find that last one interesting. It's only orbiting 5 stars, but starting at "E" and ending at "I". https://www.edsm.net/en/system/bodi.../69442412/nameB/Flyeia+Hypa+DE-S+c4-1+EFGHI+1

Alice, Bob and the third party: neuron star, white dwarf and K-class. Dunno if it is notable enough or not, more resembles a budget version of The Crux or Dance of the Compact Quartet, though looks nice.

...seriously, are people even trying anymore? It seems that most of what's been posted recently since the project reawakened hasn't been remotely up to the standards required for submission for the mapping project.
Yeah I agree, but I think part of it is the fact that the game is so dang pretty that even the mundane can look good. It takes a few visits to some truly spectacular sites to start to understand what the standards should be, and there are a lot of new explorers out with DW2. For myself, I just ask if it's something that I would travel 10k ly to go see. If I would be disappointed after that kind of travel, then it doesn't belong.

Lot's of newcomers who have no idea.

I have the feeling in this thread that newcomers are not that respected. CMDRs are submitting systems or locations they think that they are worthy. And they think that because some of the existing POIs are of the same rarity.
I don't like how it's going on about people submitting their findings here. Respect the submissions. The admins of the project will tell them if it's worthy or not. You have no reason to criticize what's being posted here every time.

I have the feeling in this thread that newcomers are not that respected. CMDRs are submitting systems or locations they think that they are worthy. And they think that because some of the existing POIs are of the same rarity.
I don't like how it's going on about people submitting their findings here. Respect the submissions. The admins of the project will tell them if it's worthy or not. You have no reason to criticize what's being posted here every time.

But it's also wasting the admins' time. This is not a thread to post pretty pictures or things that people just think are cool - there's a Photography thread that already exists for that (here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-official-explorers-photography-thread.292988/ ). This is a thread for posting interesting sites, with unusual orbital configurations or actually rare features - something that people could go out of their way to see. Brown dwarfs with rings or stars that colour their planets purple or triple star systems are dime a dozen and are not worthy of that and shouldn't be submitted.

Maybe the submission instructions need to be refined or made more obvious or something, I don't know. But certainly since the page was restarted after the big exploration update it seems that people either aren't reading the existing ones or don't care.

But it's also wasting the admins' time. This is not a thread to post pretty pictures or things that people just think are cool - there's a Photography thread that already exists for that (here - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-official-explorers-photography-thread.292988/ ). This is a thread for posting interesting sites, with unusual orbital configurations or actually rare features - something that people could go out of their way to see. Brown dwarfs with rings or stars that colour their planets purple or triple star systems are dime a dozen and are not worthy of that and shouldn't be submitted.

Maybe the submission instructions need to be refined or made more obvious or something, I don't know. But certainly since the page was restarted after the big exploration update it seems that people either aren't reading the existing ones or don't care.

Yeah, the criteria have to be more precise. For example: I submitted a ringed ELW near Colonia because I saw POIs with ringed ELWs before. And that also were only ringed ELWs with nothing more special in the system. And then it's said that this is not interesting anymore. So how are people submitting their stuff supposed to know that?
It only has the feeling of arbitrariness for people submitting here.
If stuff that was interesting before and being added isn't anymore than it has to be clear for people answering here WHAT of this stuff isn't interesting anymore.

Yeah, the criteria have to be more precise. For example: I submitted a ringed ELW near Colonia because I saw POIs with ringed ELWs before. And that also were only ringed ELWs with nothing more special in the system. And then it's said that this is not interesting anymore. So how are people submitting their stuff supposed to know that?
It only has the feeling of arbitrariness for people submitting here.
If stuff that was interesting before and being added isn't anymore than it has to be clear for people answering here WHAT of this stuff isn't interesting anymore.

That`s why I think the map should be updated with removing all of POIs that became common. If people want to keep the entries as an honor to the early explorers - the solution is quite simple: make outdated and removed types. Also, I want to point out that these must not be confused with historical. Historical POI - it is a system where some important events took place (Beagle Point or Sol). Outdated - it is a system or region which was unique in the past but +/- common today (planetary nebulas, ringed ELW). Removed - a system which had a feature or an object that was removed by FD (vivid gas giants, glowing planets).

Yes, it will take some time to make whole list of all such POIs but I am sure there will be people who will want to help GMP.

Alice, Bob and the third party: neuron star, white dwarf and K-class. Dunno if it is notable enough or not, more resembles a budget version of The Crux or Dance of the Compact Quartet, though looks nice.

They are pretty cool, but around the neutron fields they do get fairly common. I can run through dozens of them in a day. They are really fun when you end up blasting in through one of the stars on the way in, and sometimes you will end up in immediate danger of a drop into a neutron cone. I've been out in the Neutron fields hunting for the more spectacular combos.

Top Bottom