The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Need for advice:

I know there are Regional Features like the Wepaa Stellar Graveyard or the Black Pearls Basket which are conglomerations of black holes. I believe I discovered another one in the Galactic Core (by sheer accident). The shortest jump from one hole to another was a mere 9.3 lys and many were in the tens and twenties of lightyears distance. In the end I scanned 25 systems having black holes as arrival stars and for each one I visited there were at least two or three others close by which I skipped. So my "guesstimate" is that there are about 100+ black holes in the vincinity. And, from the 25 only one had been visited before, the others were all first discoveries (in the EDSM the area is basically a large white spot with no entries whatsoever.

So here my question: Assuming that would be a candidate for another Regional Feature what exactly do I need to provide in terms of data to make a solid case? Or would the 25 systems I visited be enough as justification?

Unfortunately it didn't fit my current plans to stay there and scan more of them, but I could do another visit in a week or two to roughly scout out the area (rough perimeters, number of systems, etc.).

I do not mean to directly disparage the post above me, but it did remind me of an issue i have wanted to raise with explorers for a while;

With no clear standards for what a "region" or "area" even is, or much less how big a "cluster" is supposed to be, it seems very easy to be fooled by non-existing patterns in the Elite galaxy, and believe you are seeing some kind of cluster or unique anomaly, where there actually is one. This is not abnormal for humans at all, confirmation bias is a very real problem in scientific research, and i feel it is a big one here too!
It is very easy to see illusory correlations especially in the core region, since there is just, an EXTREME overdensity of stars, far more than one can possibly search or count.
This also means, that there's a huge amount of planets as well.

As another example of human factors in discoveries, did the new exploring system suddenly create a ton of new helium-rich gas giants in the galaxy, since so many suddenly appeared in EDSM?
Nope! It's because they appear identical to other gas giants, and since people didn't scan most gas giants at all in the past, all of them were found by complete chance, or a deliberate scan of all gas giants in an area. With the new exploration system, you are encouraged to scan every single planet, which means nobody is going to miss any kind of planet type. Thus, much more of them appear in the data set.

So the meat of my criticism of this category is, that there is no hard criteria or standards for what a "regional feature" is, and is pretty much never supported by definite, meticulously harvested data, many being screenshots of a bunch of bookmarks. There are no signs that Elite procedurally generates any kind of planet or star clusters, supported by the fact that this would be a incredibly titanic computing task, far beyond the means of anyone at Frontier. No star clusters are generated by the code, and any perceived pattern is likely to just be normal noise in a very, very, very big data set that is hundreds of billions of stars.

So, while regional features are not very commonly accepted into EDSM, i would like to suggest explorers to take supposed patterns you see in the stars with a very big grain of salt, because the computers that laid this galaxy out really aren't advanced enough, and nor were they told, to simulate any kind of clustering, out of hundreds of billions of stars.

With no clear standards for what a "region" or "area" even is, or much less how big a "cluster" is supposed to be, it seems very easy to be fooled by non-existing patterns in the Elite galaxy, and believe you are seeing some kind of cluster or unique anomaly, where there actually is none.

I actually have this same issue with regional features described as "fields" of anything. When trying to confirm them, I make it a principle to check other locations via the galmap to see if I can find the same "feature" in other locations. I strongly encourage submitters to do the same. PARTICULARLY in the galactic core, because it is very high density with almost every object possible.

Name:Not Rayet
Game map search ref:Hypio Gree AA-A h144
Description:An oddity in the galactic core regions, this system features a Wolf-Rayet star that is extremely cold (457K - or 183.9 ºC). It's also emits light in the purple/red spectrum akin to most Y-class dwarfs.

We asked Orvidius to look into the rarity of "cold" WR stars and he did his magic without fail :)

Orvidius said:
I guess it depends on the temperature cut-off in question. I have a spreadsheet of WR stars here:

Right now we have 16,708 total WR stars. About 294 of them are under 1000K temperature. 150 of them are below 500K. And 33 of them are below 100K.

Going by the 500K threshold, roughly 0.9% fall into that category. So I guess it also depends on what you might consider "rare" to mean. It's under 1%, but not like < 0.1%.

Looking at it another way, 138 are colder than this particular star, which is 0.83%, which makes it colder than 99.17% of them.

Based on this we are not going to add this particular star.

Map updated: Post 3931 to 3953

Added:
  • Fingers of the Titan
  • Lonely Crash Site (post 3947) <- Took the liberty to expand the name a bit to make it less generic
Updated:
  • Magnus Nebula <- added info on glacial rivers
  • The Spiderweb <- downgraded to "Other POI"
Pending:
Not Added:
  • Under Pressure <- Not that rare, though it is a scenic location that could be resubmitted in the future if we ever get planetary landings on ELWs.
  • Ghost Giant Dish of Death
  • Icycle Canyons

Last edited:
Hey all,
I'd like to ask for a change on a system description on EDSM, since it is now inaccurate post-Beyond 4. With that being the Dryau Awesomes (Dryau Ausms KG-Y e3390)

The original was written by StarFox and I have expanded on it, to account for the changes that have occurred to the system.

Thank you in advance, the description is below.
o7

Absolute madness of a system from a topology standpoint. The black hole drop star is in a tight binary with a white dwarf (<3ls), which itself has a gas giant orbiting fully inside its exclusion zone and passing through the cones with a period of 14 minutes. Conjointly, a high-metal content world is located just 7ls from the drop-out point, torched by the white dwarf, providing incredible sunrise and set vistas. Moreover, less than 15ls away from the singularity lies a extremely close-binary of a huge water world and a ringed gas giant, the latter of which has 2 volcanic moons skimming the very edge of the rings on slightly inclined orbits, although these rings appear invisible due to an error in Beyond 4. The views offered from the surface of the landable moons is unlike anything seen elsewhere in the galaxy, and all objects in the inner system have extremely short orbital periods creating a dynamically changing view in the sky. Absolute must visit for anyone in the area. Warning to those attempting to land on AB 2 a & b, the near collision of the moons creates conflicting gravity wells, killing hundreds on DW2; in fact, their sheer proximity results in moon B actually having a smaller orbit than the A moon~!

If posts #3490 and #3745 still need names, perhaps commanders schumy and post_m respectively can be contacted for naming the nebulae they had tagged.

No, these posts were rejected because usual planetary nebulas are not accepted anymore

They both had unusual features. One was in a planetary-nebula-sparse area and the other was very close to a large nebula.

Just to clarify:
We DONT accepts PNs in the core (unless they really stand out in some way)
but we DO accept PNs from the rest of the galaxy (were they are more rare).

We went back to revisit the two posts being referred to:
  • 3490 is in the galactic core, and while it is close to a larger nebula it is not really enough to stand out
  • 3745 is not in the galactic core and will be added if a name is suggested.

Last edited:
Name:Gaia
Game map search ref:Zuneae GD-A D14-2200
Description:Zuneae GD-A D14-2200 is one of the richest systems I have ever found. It has forty three celestial bodies including an Earth-like world, three water worlds and an ammonia world orbiting its four scoopable stars that are one F white star, two red dwarfs and a K yellow-orange star. Seven of the bodies are landable and six of them are terraformable. The place also has a class I gas giant with a pristine ring with hotspots of platinum, rhodplumsite and serendibite. A system like this, with four bearable life planets, would be an ideal place for a colony, and a very contested system if it was in the Bubble. And it is just six thousand light years away from Sagittarius A and Explorer’s Anchorage, right after the eastern neutron fields. The place is so full of life that I have decided to call it Gaia, like in Greek mythology, the primal goddess and ancestral mother of all life.
Screenshot reference:

Name:Three Lifes in Dark
Game map search ref:Sutchae KM-W c1-3
Description:This system, located between Poseidon's Fury and Luna's Shadow, features not one but three Earth-Like Worlds, two of them in a binary system and the last one in the next orbit. The binary pair is close enough so that you can clearly see one of the planets from the other one. It is remarkable that these planets are quite dim because they get little light from their star.
Screenshot reference:

The binary pair:

47984816781_6cc79da4b8_z.jpg

47984765718_e6181bf12c_z.jpg

The third planet:

47984767467_efdf842f8f_z.jpg

Last edited:
Name:White, Blue, Black
Game map search ref:Hypoe Bluae RP-M d8-897
Description:The sixth planet of this system is an Earth-Like World that has a -85º axial tilt, almost -90º. This kind of planet features unique day-night and seasonal cycles:
  • Both poles have half a year of daytime and half of nighttime. However, during solstices the sun is directly overhead one of the poles while there is a full night at the other, unlike in Earth, in which the maximum elevation of the sun at the poles is ±23.4° (the Earth's axial tilt).
  • At the equator, days always last for a rotation of the planet (0.9 Earth days), but the elevation of the sun changes from just over the horizon during solstices to being overhead at noon during equinoxes.
This planet presents a mystery to planetologists and climatologists, as it is sure that its climate is as unique as its cycles. From space, we can see that its poles have large ice caps while the equator is full of water and life, implying that the equator is hotter than the poles.

The name of the planet makes reference to the planet looking like a white-blue-black tricolor flag during solstices.
Screenshot reference:

47984852216_3198aa5467_z.jpg

Last edited:
Name:The Explorer's Menu
Game map search ref:Byeia Bre EM-L c21-1
Description:This system is the perfect menu for the explorer:
  • The starter is an Earth-Like World with a landable moon.
  • The main course is a Water World.
  • The dessert is an Ammonia World.
Screenshot reference:

47984825078_4c48d80445_z.jpg

Name:Radiant Paradise
Game map search ref:Eor Aowsy MI-T d3-2255
Description:This system features a stunningly beautiful ringed Earth-Like World. It is located in a high star density region of the Galaxy, which makes for a background filled with stars.
Screenshot reference:
47979763558_004872afab_z.jpg

47979825981_a31c7b4560_z.jpg

47979817001_ef7bfed794_z.jpg

47979824811_26a29ecfb7_z.jpg

I do not mean to directly disparage the post above me, but it did remind me of an issue i have wanted to raise with explorers for a while;

With no clear standards for what a "region" or "area" even is, or much less how big a "cluster" is supposed to be, it seems very easy to be fooled by non-existing patterns in the Elite galaxy, and believe you are seeing some kind of cluster or unique anomaly, where there actually is one. This is not abnormal for humans at all, confirmation bias is a very real problem in scientific research, and i feel it is a big one here too!
... <<snip>> ...
So, while regional features are not very commonly accepted into EDSM, i would like to suggest explorers to take supposed patterns you see in the stars with a very big grain of salt, because the computers that laid this galaxy out really aren't advanced enough, and nor were they told, to simulate any kind of clustering, out of hundreds of billions of stars.

No worries, that's why I asked for advice, especially since it was in the Galactic Centre sector and a higher density of pretty much "everything" is to be expected. I consider myself still a very inexperienced explorer who is trying to get his bearings. Your and Heavy Johnson's response were very helpful in that regard and I appreciate the time you took to do so.

Summary: I've scanned my 25 black holes and have no problem leaving the rest for other explorers to find. :cool:

Just to clarify:
We DONT accepts PNs in the core (unless they really stand out in some way)
but we DO accept PNs from the rest of the galaxy (were they are more rare).

Also as a reminder to everyone, you can also submit them here:

(This is a separate project that is collecting info on all nebulae)

Name:Life from Water
Game map search ref:Prooe Pruae CL-W d2-34
Description:This system features two Water Worlds and an Earth-Like world in contiguous orbits. One of the Water Worlds has a landable moon.
Screenshot reference:

Name:Red Undine Haven
Game map search ref:Dryao Chrea BI-T c4-3114
Description:This system features four Water Worlds, two of them in a binary system. All of them look red instead of blue. Name taken from the PoI Undine Haven, that has six blue Water Worlds.
Screenshot reference:

Name:Red and Blue Sisters
Game map search ref:Graea Pri WV-B c1-0
Description:This system features two binary Water Worlds. One of them is blue and the other one is reddish.
Screenshot reference:

47984818392_b646145de0_z.jpg

Man I really need to check those spreadsheets. Some good info there.
What about close GG binaries? (around ~3ls between each other or less)

Name:Velvet Dancers
Game map search ref:Proyio JR-W e1-1
Description:Quaternary system with two different close binary pairs of red class IV gas giants orbiting the first three stars, right in the middle of the Aphelion. First pair has a 14 day orbit but the second pair only circles each other every 2 days.
Screenshot reference:

The first pair (ABC 3 and 4)

The second pair (ABC 5 and 6)

Name is alluding to the "Dances with Giants" PoI since I was looking for something similar, this is the closest thing I've found so far.

Attachments

• Proyio JR-W e1-1(Proyio JR-W e1-1 ABC 3)_00001.png
    Proyio JR-W e1-1(Proyio JR-W e1-1 ABC 3)_00001.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 198
Top Bottom