The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

I like this. Humanising the Galaxy. :) I think it would be useful for my FGE friends to help out too: they've seen lots of interesting things.

I haven't been to many places, but one place I've mentioned once or twice before that's close to my heart is Nyuena Ro-Z d184, in what I have called the Nyuena Open Cluster Sector, close to the edge of the northern bulge of the Galaxy some 1800LY directly above Sagittarius A*. In my 22LY-limited Cobra I had an amazing view of the Galaxy below. It's not the highest anybody has been, but it's the highest I have been:

[video=youtube;CpE3VM4YK7A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpE3VM4YK7A[/video]

Additional videos of this place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fJOdeik2M - an Earth-like water world which I'd now like to call "The Reptile Nest"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPUqvAnDbE - the sole ringed gas giant which has no name so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCGZl2B7RA - I call this place "New Mars." :)

I don't have a name for the system, though. Unofficially I once named it "Zulu Point" but that's way too self-indulgent. :p I dunno, I think as it's up in the roof of the Galaxy I'll call the system "Cracked Canopy." :D

I have screenshots and a location for what I want to call the Annihilator Stellar Nursery, as it is located close to the great annihilator black hole. Will post them when I get home.

I like this. Humanising the Galaxy. :) I think it would be useful for my FGE friends to help out too: they've seen lots of interesting things.

I haven't been to many places, but one place I've mentioned once or twice before that's close to my heart is Nyuena Ro-Z d184, in what I have called the Nyuena Open Cluster Sector, close to the edge of the northern bulge of the Galaxy some 1800LY directly above Sagittarius A*. In my 22LY-limited Cobra I had an amazing view of the Galaxy below. It's not the highest anybody has been, but it's the highest I have been:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpE3VM4YK7A

Additional videos of this place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0fJOdeik2M - an Earth-like water world which I'd now like to call "The Reptile Nest"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RPUqvAnDbE - the sole ringed gas giant which has no name so far
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyCGZl2B7RA - I call this place "New Mars." :)

I don't have a name for the system, though. Unofficially I once named it "Zulu Point" but that's way too self-indulgent. :p I dunno, I think as it's up in the roof of the Galaxy I'll call the system "Cracked Canopy." :D

Some cracking POI's there :) I'll add them to the maps once SirKiwi has submitted his data.

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

I have screenshots and a location for what I want to call the Annihilator Stellar Nursery, as it is located close to the great annihilator black hole. Will post them when I get home.

Remember to list the procedural name too so I can pinpoint it on the map.

Here is the Annihilator Stellar Nursery- a dense bundle of bright, young stars in the sky. There is a lot of mystery surrounding this area, as all these stars showed up in one jump (a glitch or not, I don't know)- guess I must have just gotten close enough then. It is still visible several jumps later, although slightly dimmer. I see a lot of stars but I can't tell exactly where the stellar forge I see in the sky is in the map- it is an obvious surge in B type stars but not what seems to be abnormal throughout the galaxy. There are multiple O types as well. There is a sharp line dividing a huge amount of B type stars, with an area nearly devoid around here. Not sure why. A beautiful sight no matter the details, very dense bright stars, I recommend everyone to come see the Annihilator Nursery.
I didn't remember to write down the name of the system I saw the nursery from first, and best, but from the system I am in now you can see the nursery and from there get closer to it.
LEAMUAE BD-V C5-180
Also, a system I was in earlier with a better view:
DRYAA FLYI XR-H D11-991

The nursery is over 3000 LY from its namesake, the Great Annihilator, but it seems to be the nearest point of interest so I felt it was appropriate.

Here are some screenshots of the nursery:
Screenshot_0069.jpg
Screenshot_0068.jpg
Screenshot_0064.jpg

If you do visit, please let me know what you think :D

Edit: My journey continues and so do the huge stars. I dunno what this means anymore- but this area is beautiful.

Last edited:
Maps updated with latest data.

Major POIs

The Norma Expanse
Major feature covering multiple sectors between the far fringe of the Norma arm and near fringe of the 3kpc arm.

The Greae Phio Stellar Forge
GREAE PHIO LS-L C23-221
Expansive dense cluster of mainly young stars covering several hundred LYs - embedded within and around the Greae Phio Nebula.

Dryao Chrea Stellar Remnant
DRYAO CHREA VU-P E5-7481
Neutron Star embedded within a blue glowing ejecta nebula.

Annihilator Stellar Nursery
DRYAA FLYI XR-H D11-991
Approx. 3,000 LYs "south" of the Great Annihilator Black Hole, on the near fringe of the Galactic Core.

Explorer Hazards

The Abyss
Major feature covering at least 11,000 light years wide, and 2,000 light years across.
A region devoid of jumpable stars as to make it extremely difficult to cross with current FSD maximum ranges.
Located between the far fringe of the Scutum-Centaurus arm and the Distant Suns of the galactic outer rim, 65,000 LYs from Sol.

Orion Spur Badlands
Band of Brown Dwarf sectors several thousand LYs wide. Approximately 3,000 LYs "east" of the Frontier, along the Orion Spur.

Centaurus Badlands

Band of Brown Dwarf sectors several thousand LYs wide. Situated on the near fringe of the Scutum-Centaurus Arm, approximately 50,000 LYs from Sol. Closest reference; Rendezvous Point.

POIs of Historical Significance

Nyuena Open Cluster
NYUENA RO-Z D184
First visited by Zulu Romeo during the first expedition to Sag-A* (Dec. 3300).

Rendezvous Point
EACTAINDS GN-W C1-6
Point at which two deep space explorers met (Feb. 3301). One of the most distant encounters ever recorded (43,000 LYs from Sol).

Praei3 Sector
Mysterious region of space that no starship can enter. All attempts at a hyperspace lock on to systems within Praei3 have failed.
The Praei3 borders were charted during a deep space expedition (Dec. 3300 - Feb. 3301). Maps pending.

Minor POIs

The Ocean Of Rocks
COL 359 SECTOR ZZB B3 1-1
(screenshot & description pending)
Map Ref. Point #1

Oceana
PYULT QP-V D3-56
Quadruple Water World star system.
Map Ref. Point #2
Great Work! I'm thrilled I could be a part of this!

General question, Erimus. How do you go about figuring out what to explore, or how to decide what can qualify as a "region".

The big problem I have right now is scale. Sure, I can look at a region of space when looking at the disk and see features like "oh, this area is thin in the star department" but once you get closer it always seems to be one big connect the dots.

Right now I'm jumping like crazy to make some distance from Sol, but for every 30LY jump I make I'm missing who knows how many stars along the way. And when looking at the map it's hard to get a sense of scale or try to figure out new targets along the way.

Shame there isn't a way to lay out waypoints easily.

General question, Erimus. How do you go about figuring out what to explore, or how to decide what can qualify as a "region".

The big problem I have right now is scale. Sure, I can look at a region of space when looking at the disk and see features like "oh, this area is thin in the star department" but once you get closer it always seems to be one big connect the dots.

Right now I'm jumping like crazy to make some distance from Sol, but for every 30LY jump I make I'm missing who knows how many stars along the way. And when looking at the map it's hard to get a sense of scale or try to figure out new targets along the way.

Shame there isn't a way to lay out waypoints easily.

99% of the places I've seen along the way and explored haven't been planned visits as I was unaware any of it existed. They just happened to be along the route I was taking. The only plan I had was to see if it was possible to reach the most distant stars in the game on the far side of the galaxy, and I only became aware of things like the Greae Phio Nebula and the Dryao Chrea Stellar Remnant when I saw them off in the distance outside my cockpit window, and figured out where they were on the map to detour towards them. I found two open star clusters that way too during the New Horizons video series (haven't added them to the map yet though). They only became distinctive as POIs at around 500 LYS away so it shows you how hit and miss it can be. There could be some really cool stuff being passed by just out of your visual range that you'll never know about. That's just the nature of the game size we have :cool:

So really its all hit and miss until FD start labeling official POIs on the map (which I doubt they'll do, hence the unofficial maps above).

My only advice is to pick a distant destination to head to and keep your eyes peeled for stuff that appears outside your window in the far distance along the way then try to figure out where on the map it is. If you think its worthy of a descriptive name once you get there, think one up and take a screenshot, note the procedural name of a nearby system so we can reference it, and it could end up on the maps. Its not really accurate but the maps are there more as a very rough guide for players to look at and see what's in their particular region of space.

Another way you could do it is by looking at real star maps and seeing if whatever is on them has been included in the game via the search function on the map. I've found some stuff that way but its a bit hit and miss as its mainly only known stars that have been added to the game and not astronomically known regions, like the vela molecular ridge. We'll have to make guesses at where that stuff should be.

Last edited:
I have found something that may or may not be of small interest.
I would like to call it the Hypio Orb Nebula.
It is a neutron star surrounded by a personal planetary nebula, and it is so far undiscovered. It is a sight to behold as it is a beautiful blue gas surrounded by a stellar forge of beautiful blue stars.
HYPIO PRI JH-U E3-6719
Screenshots:
Screenshot_0102.jpg
Screenshot_0098.jpg
Screenshot_0105.jpg
Screenshot_0103.jpg

:D :eek:

Last edited:
I have found something that may or may not be of small interest.
I would like to call it the Hypio Orb Nebula.
It is a neutron star surrounded by a personal planetary nebula, and it is so far undiscovered. It is a sight to behold as it is a beautiful blue gas surrounded by a stellar forge of beautiful blue stars.
HYPIO PRI JH-U E3-6719
Screenshots:

:D :eek:

Nice one :) I'll add it later today.

Nice idea, this will really help to highlight galactic landmarks for people to visit in the future.

I stumbled upon one a while ago that may be of interest. There is a string of very luminous stars above the void between the Orion spur and the Perseus arm. It's on the route to Heart/Soul if travelling from Sol. The string contains several neutron stars, luminous A/B stars and a Herbig AE/BE protostar.
Even though it only contains a few systems, it is definitely noticeable as a POI within an area of the galaxy that is otherwise quite dull.
I don't have any screenshots from within those systems, but below are screenshots i took of the galactic map area and a couple of the system views.

Screenshot_0217.jpgScreenshot_0218.jpg

Screenshot_0106.jpgScreenshot_0110.jpgScreenshot_0116.jpg

I struggled to come up with a decent name... maybe The Northern Orio-Persean String.... feel free to give it a better name:p
I can't claim to have discovered it as there were already FD tags in place.

Edit - NGC 1502 HOAG 120 is central to the string.

Last edited:
First forum post, very inspiring idea Erimus, it gives purpose to my exploring apart from earning credits.
I'm on my second exploration at the moment, from LHS 1541, a system I formerly traded in, to VY Canis Majoris over the Vela Dark Region, Puppis Dark Region A and B, and back over Barnard's Loop. My new T6 is kitted with everything I need, Chaff and Point Defence in the few cases I get successfully interdicted, an Advanced Scanner and a DSS for maximum profit.
Up until now I didn't find anything worth mentioning, although I hope to further explore and analyse the surrounding areas of both Dark Regions to find habitable and terraformable planets or similar interesting stellar bodies. If everything fails I shall try to put together an analysis of the region, its systems and scoopable stars and places to avoid.

In the future I hope to venture further in the void along the Orion arm, cross over to the Perseus arm and travel on the edge of the galaxy counter clockwise until I reach the very end of the Perseus arm.

Wish me luck, fellow commanders.

Last edited:
There's a section of the Orion Spur in the direction of Cygnus where there are a number of OBA stars and associated neutron stars and black holes. I'm on mobile right now so I can't link images easily, but it is a region a few hundred ly coreward of Sadr Region and stretches in a line between Sol and HDE 226868/Cygni X-1.

I'd like to call it the Cygnus Corridor.
I'll link galactic coordinates, example systems and images layer when I get back home this evening.

Maps updated and info added to the bottom of post #1...

First forum post, very inspiring idea Erimus, it gives purpose to my exploring apart from earning credits.
I'm on my second exploration at the moment, from LHS 1541, a system I formerly traded in, to VY Canis Majoris over the Vela Dark Region, Puppis Dark Region A and B, and back over Barnard's Loop. My new T6 is kitted with everything I need, Chaff and Point Defence in the few cases I get successfully interdicted, an Advanced Scanner and a DSC for maximum profit.
Up until now I didn't find anything worth mentioning, although I hope to further explore and analyse the surrounding areas of both Dark Regions to find habitable and terraformable planets or similar interesting stellar bodies. If everything fails I shall try to put together an analysis of the region, its systems and scoopable stars and places to avoid.

In the future I hope to venture further in the void along the Orion arm, cross over to the Perseus arm and travel on the edge of the galaxy counter clockwise until I reach the very end of the Perseus arm.

Wish me luck, fellow commanders.

Good luck out there :)

And yes, it adds a bit more to exploring than just credits. Plus you don't have to rush back to stake your claim, you just need to post a screenshot and the procedural name as its reference (and of course come up with a descriptive name!).

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

There's a section of the Orion Spur in the direction of Cygnus where there are a number of OBA stars and associated neutron stars and black holes. I'm on mobile right now so I can't link images easily, but it is a region a few hundred ly coreward of Sadr Region and stretches in a line between Sol and HDE 226868/Cygni X-1.

I'd like to call it the Cygnus Corridor.
I'll link galactic coordinates, example systems and images layer when I get back home this evening.

I think I know the one - I was out there before I set off on the trek across the galaxy. If its the same one I'm thinking of its a supercluster with over 400 stars stretching over 300 LYs ?

You'll need to prove you have been there though, with a screenshot (or video) and its procedural reference :p

Last edited:
I reached the Vela Dark Region, but apart from a system with four T Tauri Stars relatively close together I found nothing. If any commander comes across that system (VELA DARK REGION LC-V C2-16) be careful jumping in.

As I was scouting for other landmarks in the vicinity I found a B8 II Class Star 195 LYs away on the galaxy map surrounded by a strange glow, additionally two Neutron Stars, an A Class star and two Y Class stars were to be in the system. A fine destination.

As I jumped in and scanned the system, it became apparent that first, the B Class Star was actually another A Class star and second, both A Class stars orbited each other, while the two Neutron stars orbited each one of the A Class Stars. Twin children of twin parents.
The two Y Class stars sat both, one with seven moons, the other with a Class III Gas Planet/moon, disconnected in space.

Unfortunately the system was already discovered by Commander Aleena.
If it is permitted to name the system although I'm not the first to discover it, I would like to call the system "The Twins" and the A Class Star HIP 47126 A "Arsu" with his Neutron Star "The Camel", the A Class Star HIP 47126 D "Azizos" with his Neutron Star "The Horse". Arsu and Azizos are twins from Old Syrian mythology, they are the god of the Morning Sun and the god of the Evening Sun and ride across the stars with camel and horse.

The_Twins.png

Top Bottom