The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Name:Not Rayet
Game map search ref:Hypio Gree AA-A h144
Description:An oddity in the galactic core regions, this system features a Wolf-Rayet star that is extremely cold (457K - or 183.9 ºC). It's also emits light in the purple/red spectrum akin to most Y-class dwarfs.

The "cold" W-R stars were first seen in Buboes Star. I'm going to check with Orvidious on how rare these are.

Name:Rusty Rings
Galactic Reference:HD 36867 C 12
Description:This ringed gas giant hosts two water world moons and five high metal content moons. The second ww has a landable close orbiting body of its own, which provides spectacular views of the moon.
Screenshots:

0QFY2L5.jpg

jEEgXZ6.jpg

e8eqkbX.jpg

Name:The Quartet
Game map search ref:Flyiedgiae FC-L d8-26 [EDSM #903108971723]
Description:Has one of each of the "valuable" planets:
A3 - Earth-like World
A4 - Terraformable Water World
A5 - Non-terraformable Water World
A8 - Ammonia World
The system has been discovered by me on May 10th, 2019 and has no other striking features. The bodies around A have all been mapped by me as well. B is orbited by Icy Bodies only. There are four moons altogether (A1a, A3a, A4a and B6a), all of them landable.
Not really sure whether the system is POI-worthy, but I figured I submit it anyways and you make the call.
Screenshot reference:

Last edited:
New POI suggestion: Plooe Freau HR-N e6-5 is an unusually small planetary nebula, on the galaxy map it appears just marginally larger than a blue supergiant star. I have seen hundreds of PNs, none was that small.

They you should provide name, description and photo of the location. Make a post here, it will be considered and after some time in one of the updates it will be either accepted to the map or rejected.

P.S. Though I am not a really expert player in ED I also see such tiny nebula for the first time. It seems to be even smaller than Hind nebula.

They you should provide name, description and photo of the location. Make a post here, it will be considered and after some time in one of the updates it will be either accepted to the map or rejected.

P.S. Though I am not a really expert player in ED I also see such tiny nebula for the first time. It seems to be even smaller than Hind nebula.

OK, submitting with more detail.

System: Plooe Freau HR-N e6-5
Suggested name: Fading Hope Micronebula
Description: An exceptionally small blue PN. When viewed on the galaxy map, it is just marginally larger than a blue supergiant star.
Screenshots:
A normal size nebula, viewed at max zoom level (for reference)

BzGj2FR.png

Plooe Freau HR-N e6-5 at same zoom level

6XPMYNZ.png

Under Pressure

The system contains an Earth-like world with water-based life and water world which can be also inhabited. The thing is that they are only 22,000 light seconds from the red giant, which entered latter part its stellar life and will die in the next several million years. Although it has only 1.04 solar masses and most likely ends up as a white dwarf, the life will be destroyed by the expelled plasma anyways.

Systimbao UN-T D3-4543

Attachments

• 20190517230009_1.jpg
    20190517230009_1.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 334
  • 20190517230627_1.jpg
    20190517230627_1.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 324
  • 20190520173623_1.jpg
    20190520173623_1.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 328
It also will be nice to provide photo of the PN from the nearest system.

I dont have such photo and i am not close to that area to take one.
Plus, it doesnt make much sense, IMO. If it was a big nebula, then yes. I have such pictures in my nebulae photo album (link in my sig). But when the nebula is small, the observer can never tell if it is a small nebula or just a regular one photographed from a distance. The nearest star can be at less than 1ly or 30+ly away.

Plus, it doesnt make much sense, IMO. If it was a big nebula, then yes. I have such pictures in my nebulae photo album (link in my sig). But when the nebula is small, the observer can never tell if it is a small nebula or just a regular one photographed from a distance. The nearest star can be at less than 1ly or 30+ly away.

Yes, you are right but it can be taken from the cockpit with the HUD enabled. Then you can just compare it with other planetaries that literally obscure half of the sky.

Name:Ghost Giant Dish of Death
Game map search ref:Syriae Thaa VB-B c27-0 4
Description:This gas giant has a more giant second ring. It has a first ring of normal proportions, after which five of its six satelites orbit. The second ring, however, has a huge surface as it extends from around 1 million kilometers to almost 3.8 million kilometers. While there are other few gargantuan disks discovered, what makes this noteworthy is that it's so dark that any overconfident player may crash with it if getting confused for the situation of the gas giant's satellites.
Screenshot reference:
The last two pictures are 640px for convenience. Real and modified color pictures attached.

Last edited:
Partial Update Posts #3777-#3841

Added:

• post #3781 / Black Pearls Basket (regional feature)
  • post #3798 / Dark Waters
  • post #3805 / Kepler's Fantasy
  • post #3806 / Runner's Gorge
  • post #3824 / Planet of Slightly Lesser Death
  • post #3833 / Beacon Of The Galaxy
  • post #3841 / Farrago

* From https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/incoming-transmission-explorers-near-colonia-needed.510394/
* Eol Prou Lighthouse (Eol Prou NS-U f2-2220)
* Eoch Pruae Port (Eoch Pruae FG-Y f2444)
* Thanks to Commander Bigmaec for his surveys of these systems

Not Added:

• post #3784 / Gurdian Ruins - Phoe Pua sector (was found to be covered under Sukdai Site POI)
  • post #3807, #3811, #3825, #3832

Updated:

The Smasiae Red Giant Binary Pair - photo added, thanks to Cmdr shreddog

I am humbled, Cmdrs. Looking back on the conversation and submittals since, let alone my own additional experience in game, I'm not sure I would have submitted Runner's Gorge now. And yet...It's awesome to be a part of this.

o7

Partial Update Posts #3842-#3877

This update has a number of really excellent views of ring systems and bodies. Well done to all submitters.

Added:

• post #3854 / Glyder Fach
  • post #3857 / Walled Garden
  • post #3859 / The Great Wall of Syrivai
  • post #3866 / Murphy's Paradox
  • post #3868 / Abzû
  • post #3868 / Aruna's Sanctum
  • post #3868 / Legacy Of G. K. Gilbert
  • post #3877 / Abigail's Mobile

Not Added:

• post #3842 - still not notable enough / description not compelling enough
  • post #3845, #3852, #3870
  • post #3851 - previously submitted
  • post #3867 - 1) added already; 2) has entry; 3) can't find this POI/system
  • post #3868 / Crimson Jellyfish Nebula (notability)
  • post #3869 (both, notability)
  • post #3872 - this looks cool but I can not verify it as EDSM has incomplete data for the system and planet 5 is not listed

Updated:

* Black Fields (post #3856)

Pending:

* post #3844 - needs actual body location

---

While out in the black, don't forget to look up occasionally; our current ELW has some excellent scenery. Here's my current landing spot on the 3rd body in the Sol system:

FVOdlC4l.jpg

All new submissions require a photo, except for exceptionally unusual circumstances.

Top Bottom