The Galactic Mapping Project & Historical Archive of Exploration

Photo for POI "Dhat-Badan":
kF0eRiih.png

On another note, while not being part of the GMP team, with the recent updates I don't really get what now the difference between "Other POI" and "Historical POI" is.
Like for example, the furthest stars South, East, North and West (Amundsen's, Magellan's etc.) are "Historical" ones, while the meridian stars (Manifest Destiny etc.) are "Other". That doesn't really make sense to me.

Historical: Historic records reached, points in time that are notable, and other things dealing with "history of the game" or "history of exploration"
Other: Stuff that doesn't fit in other categories. Things that were POI that are no longer valid POI are being included in here (we previously had put some of those in 'Historical')

And, if you think something is misclassified, feel free to suggest a different category.

And, if you think something is misclassified, feel free to suggest a different category.
Alright, think you should introduce a new one:
Navigational POI. Should include all those most distant in each cardinal direction, meridians, Sol, Sag A*, beacons in or at deep arm gaps, starting points of crossing routes and the likes. You get the idea.

On another note, while not being part of the GMP team, with the recent updates I don't really get what now the difference between "Other POI" and "Historical POI" is.
Like for example, the furthest stars South, East, North and West (Amundsen's, Magellan's etc.) are "Historical" ones, while the meridian stars (Manifest Destiny etc.) are "Other". That doesn't really make sense to me.

Ill admit that the distinction is somewhat arbitrary and rooted in some exploration and GMP history.

Most of the "furthest stars" were reached relatively early by Allitnil in his search for the galactic limits. This was a major achivement at the time and something we wanted to clearly mark on the map to celebrate one of the pioneer explorers. Thus these stars are marked as "Historical".

If memory serves me right, the meridian stars was originally introduced as a helpful feature to mark the compas points compared to Sol - and I think the first meridian systems had not even been visited when they were added. This was in the days of less efficient route planners and a more limited in game galmap, and for some explorers it was perhabs helpful to be able to target a system and get a bearing. At some point it became a quest to reach further out along the meridians, but even so, it was our impression that these systems never really gained the status among explorers that the "furthest stars" had gotten. Thats why they are kept as "Other POIs".

Alright, think you should introduce a new one:
Navigational POI. Should include all those most distant in each cardinal direction, meridians, Sol, Sag A*, beacons in or at deep arm gaps, starting points of crossing routes and the likes. You get the idea.

We used to have this - they were called "Beacon POIs". With longer and longer FSD ranges and better in game navigational tools we abolished this category some time ago, as we felt it no longer served any helpful navigational purpose.

---

We are currently considering to add a sort of "archive" or "legacy" category to the GMP - a place to put the POIs that have either become obsolete due to game updates, or were significant at the time, but not really any more. This was suggested in this thread a little while ago, and it is a good idea that we are considering how to implement. The difference between the "Historical" category and the "Legacy" category, is that the Historical POIs would be places that we actively want to highlight to celebrate exploration history. Currently my personal take on this (it is not something we have yet discussed in the team) is that I would like to keep the "Furthest Stars" as Historical but I would move the "meridian systems" to Legacy - based on the argument that the meridian systems has lost their practical navigational value, and also never really gained the popularity of the "Furthest Stars" among explorers.

Last edited:
Speaking of stuff that's no longer valid, there is something else. As I was going through the planetary nebulae, I noticed that there were a number of entries for "nebula clusters". These entries all use only the procedural names for both the cluster and the nebulae listed within: for example, Stuemau Archer Alpha, Stuemau Archer Beta and so on. The descriptions are all copy-pasted stuff, one lines about the contents of the system. The cluster entries themselves often consist of only three, sometimes two nebulae - I'm not sure if these would qualify as clusters even. Distances between can be erratic, too. Personally, I'd say these are low quality submissions.

Oh, and these are all inside the core as well. Plus a good number of entries have missing screenshots. ("enter image description here")

If you wish to find them all without downloading the database dump, you can use the CGN for that: search for "alpha", those systems will be the ones used for the entries. For example, Schee Pri NT-Q e5-1532, Lyaisae HA-A e3363.

So, those clusters only exist because someone submitted a bunch of completely generic PN, and instead of just deleting them (which causes some controversy), I consolidated nearby ones into “clusters”.

It was a way to reduce the overcrowded Galactic Center map w/o deleting previous submissions which we have been uncomfortable doing.

Xenoneo's Triangle <- Currently checking the rarity of this phenomenon.
Not to press the point too much, but regardless of the ruling on the "rarity" of trojan worlds, they are still notable phenomena. If there are none already in the GMP, then perhaps that itself could be a consideration, in combination with that submission's added benefit of the view of the Cat's Paw. What's more, I believe the region to be lacking in notable POI's.

Also, as a rule of thumb we try to avoid POIs being named after commanders. You are welcome to suggest another name.
How about "Meowzipan's Triangle," for my late favorite feline.

Last edited:
Name: The 359s
Type: Planetary
Galmap Ref: Col 359 Sector FB-N D7-62

Description: This system has a double-binary stellar arrangement plus two additional orbiting stars, all M-class to G-class. The result is a vast zone for habitable planets. The system features five regular water worlds; two terraformable water worlds; three terraformable heavy-metal content worlds; and one earth-like world. Novice explorers can make quick money by mapping these planets.

cUn5SD6l.png

9tQTF0Ol.png

hOmcZHIl.png

Name: Haldane's Hypothesis
Galmap ref: M7 Sector IF-S b19-4

Description: As of June 3305, this is one of only three systems known to contain four ammonia-life worlds. It is also the nearest to Sol, at 1163 light-years. The atmospheres of these worlds are rich in carbon dioxide, ranging from 47% to 94%. This greenhouse gas must be responsible for keeping these worlds at a temperature for which ammonia remains liquid, despite the dim output of the M-class star. Scientists should take note: Is this the type of environment which spawned the ancestors of the dreaded Thargoids?

This system is named after famous biologist J. B. S. Haladane, who was one of the first to suggest the possibility of ammonia-based life.

W6bXzSph.png

Name: The Blue Death
Galmap ref: HIP 69445

Description: Wolf-Rayet stars are rare hyper-luminous stars nearing the end of their lives. They are among the least friendly places for life to spring up due to massive doses of ultraviolet radiation anything nearby will receive. Yet somehow an earth-like world can be found orbiting Wolf-Rayet HIP 69445. The presence of life on this world seems to defy expectations. No other earth-like worlds have ever been found near Wolf-Rayet stars. Perhaps the presence of a massive ozone layer is responsible? We note that oxygen forms almost 40% of this planet's atmosphere.

Visitors to this oddity are also recommended to the binary pair of small worlds just 35 light-seconds from the Wolf-Rayet. Intense blue and violet colors shade the landscape, with the the blue orb of death hovering above. Visitors have named this location 'The Blue Death', speaking both to the power of the Wolf-Rayet and also to the first pilot to chart the system, Commander 'The Red Death'.

This system can be found just past the dark Coalsack nebula, 700 light years from Sol.

3TLetMIh.png

olMiLfwh.png

Name: The 359s
Galmap Ref: Col 359 Sector FB-N D7-62

Description: This system has a double-binary stellar arrangement plus two additional orbiting stars, all M-class to G-class. The result is a vast zone for habitable planets. The system features five regular water worlds; two terraformable water worlds; three terraformable heavy-metal content worlds; and one earth-like world. Novice explorers can make quick money by mapping these planets.

Dang, ELW + 7 WWs?

I need to step up my game. :D

So, those clusters only exist because someone submitted a bunch of completely generic PN, and instead of just deleting them (which causes some controversy), I consolidated nearby ones into “clusters”.

It was a way to reduce the overcrowded Galactic Center map w/o deleting previous submissions which we have been uncomfortable doing.
It's good to know their origins, but that doesn't really change the fact that, as far as I can tell, the entries don't meet the necessary guidelines and requirements for inclusion. Even if they weren't inside the core, that is. The Galactic Center map is overcrowded with planetary nebulae anyway, so if you don't want to remove entries, why not move these entries into the separate category where other legacy entries will go?

Not to press the point too much, but regardless of the ruling on the "rarity" of trojan worlds, they are still notable phenomena. If there are none already in the GMP, then perhaps that itself could be a consideration, in combination with that submission's added benefit of the view of the Cat's Paw. What's more, I believe the region to be lacking in notable POI's.

How about "Meowzipan's Triangle," for my late favorite feline.

I gotta admit that I love the coubling of Cat's Paw nebula and your favorite feline :)

Even so, currently app. 5000 trojan pairs have been identified, so even if we currently have very few trojan pairs listed on the GMP (I think we have 3-4 allready) a system will not be considered notable enough for inclusion just by containing a single trojan pair.

In this particular case the view towards the Cat's Paw nebula counts for inclusion,
but that area is at the same time one of the most densely packed with POI (image), which counts against.

All in all we are not gonna include this particular system as a POI.

It's good to know their origins, but that doesn't really change the fact that, as far as I can tell, the entries don't meet the necessary guidelines and requirements for inclusion. Even if they weren't inside the core, that is. The Galactic Center map is overcrowded with planetary nebulae anyway, so if you don't want to remove entries, why not move these entries into the separate category where other legacy entries will go?

That is also what we have been considering.

---

In other news we have decided to add the "Tellurium Fields". This type of POI seems to have real useful value for explorers as a location in a remote region that allow you to very easily harvest a rare material that is useful for explorers. If we start to get submissions or feedback that indicate that locations like these are found in abundance and with ease, we might stop accepting more of these. But for now we will accept locations that meet these criteria.

Last edited:
Name: Gone To Extremes
Galmap ref: Wredguia CE-W b16-0

Description: The M-class star in this system is just barely holding on to a small gas giant. With an astonishing orbital eccentricity of 0.9997, the gas giant only needs a small gravitational nudge from a passing star and it will go flying off into deep space. The gas giant's orbit is just under 246 years. At the far end of the orbit it is 24,616 light-seconds out from the star, roughly the same distance as Sol's Pluto at greatest distance; and at closest approach the gas giant is a mere 3.7 light-seconds from the star!

Scientists speculate this was a rogue planet just recently captured. Repeated near passes to the star in future centuries should reduce orbital energy and lower the eccentricity. In an additional surprise, this gas giant also harbors water-based life! This is truly surprising; the energy received at the nearest approach to the star is over 40 million times greater than when the gas giant is at its most distant. Does this life seek shelter deep in the planet for safety from the extremes of cold and heat?

(Fun fact, not part of description: This orbit is so eccentric, orrey refuses to draw an orbit for it!)

mHjH0qCh.png

kry7Tlph.png

Name: Gone To Extremes
Galmap ref: Wredguia CE-W b16-0

Description: The M-class star in this system is just barely holding on to a small gas giant. With an astonishing orbital eccentricity of 0.9997, the gas giant only needs a small gravitational nudge from a passing star and it will go flying off into deep space. The gas giant's orbit is just under 246 years. At the far end of the orbit it is 24,616 light-seconds out from the star, roughly the same distance as Sol's Pluto at greatest distance; and at closest approach the gas giant is a mere 3.7 light-seconds from the star!

kry7Tlph.png

Sooooo, is the GG on the way in toward the star, or on the way out? Looks like it could be a a while before the next perihelion...

Top Bottom