Inhabited Generation Ship (The Golconda)

This could be a fantastic chance for a mini game. If we had space legs!! 8p

And the company were more ambitious and build more game to boot. Maybe servers will become cheap enough over time they can add them on top of the P2P server features. Those new amd epyc 64 core stuff is out. How much will that inflate in the future? Hell, maybe we get optical computers at some point. Real optical too. Not just the hybrid stuff.

Inhabited generation ship (the size of a mega ship) found in an already inhabited system? My immersion drops a few more points!
Nobody say that this ship was there for long time. They found the ship as it approached the star enough close from the interstellar space and it's distress signal reached the listening post sensors.

Nobody say that this ship was there for long time. They found the ship as it approached the star enough close from the interstellar space and it's distress signal reached the listening post sensors.
The ship is stopped now.

I just got a chance to read other responses in this thread and I see that others are making the same type of comments which I did.

I just think it would have been a lot better if Frontier would have at least located the ship in an uninhabited system.

Is it just another so small example of Frontier not asking them selves basic questions and thinking plot lines through?
Is it that the generation ship was actually somewhere else for the longest time without being found, so they moved it?

Last edited:
The ship is stopped now.

I just got a chance to read other responses in this thread and I see that others are making the same type of comments which I did.

I just think it would have been a lot better if Frontier would have at least located the ship in an uninhabited system.

Is it just another so small example of Frontier not thinking things through?
Is it that the generation ship was actually somewhere else for the longest time without being found, so they moved it?

Key word is "now". It may be stopped right yesterday or a month ago and being not discovered until not turn it's comms on. Same as if there are some generation ship now irl would be somewhere in Kuiper belt or even much closer, in the main asteroid belt: it's in inhabited system, but we can't see it until we not catch the signal from it although there are few spacecraft passed in that region. may be FDevs really just placed the ship there last week (there are no interstellar space in this game technically, each system is a separate location), but from the lore point of view it looks realistic. Silent ship far beyond the modern sensors field of view was discovered as soon as he start to send a signals and we catch them.

As for the arrival to inhabitant system... I see an irony in it, it's a classical sci-fi question about relationships between generations, between those who gone and those who left and what their place in this future world they arrived at. There could be other scenarios, like arrival at the uninhabited system... but why not this one? I like this scenario: ship literally arrived straight into the modern life and into the modern society with all it's problems. Such a time travel. Even us, players, can not ignore this event and almost fighting here on forums (and in game) for our vision of the colonist future, their rights, our duties etc. If such thing happened somewhere in distant systems, all these social contrasts would be not so bright.

I think this is just another small example that whatever Frontier do, there always will be some one who will say "why things are like this, why not the way I want?"

Last edited:
The Voyager probes have been in Sol for the last 1000 years yet you can't find them unless you already know where they are. So it's perfectly plausible for the Golconda to have been there for a long time and never be seen until it started transmitting.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
The Voyager probes have been in Sol for the last 1000 years yet you can't find them unless you already know where they are. So it's perfectly plausible for the Golconda to have been there for a long time and never be seen until it started transmitting.
“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”

― Douglas Adams,

I understand you haven't played the game in about a year? :p

Just kidding, but with the addition of the FSS those probes aren't exactly hidden anymore.

I thought about this also, They are stationary near Planet B3, i assume that It would have taken them months, even years to slow down. So did they message long before stopping, it seems pointless that they plan to stop if they didnt know anyone was there.
New data point: they didn't stop.

The Golconda was near B3 when we first discovered it, but how many here have gone back to visit it again? It's now in deep space some distance from B3. Would be an interesting math problem to triangulate it's motion vector through the system. Or even just figure out if it's in continuous motion (like the Voyager probes) vs moving with the daily tick.

New data point: they didn't stop.

The Golconda was near B3 when we first discovered it, but how many here have gone back to visit it again? It's now in deep space some distance from B3. Would be an interesting math problem to triangulate it's motion vector through the system. Or even just figure out if it's in continuous motion (like the Voyager probes) vs moving with the daily tick.
That's not just because B3 has moved around its orbit, is it?

Can someone tell me how to avoid, or be able to recover from an FSD disruption in an Anaconda? I find I constantly get disrupted before I can jump out.
Until/if I find out how, after ~4yrs of doing CGs in open (or whenever they started,I've been playing for longer) I'm switching to solo/PG (hope you're happy with that Neotantrix :p).

That's not just because B3 has moved around its orbit, is it?
Good question. I don't think so, because B3 has an 1800 day orbit it shouldn't have moved too far in a few days. But I'd need to get back out there and take some actual measurements to say for sure.

That said, the Golconda cannot be simply drifting along it's original velocity vector either. To get to Upaniklis in 3305 it's cruise speed had to be around 0.15c. It would be halfway across the system by now if it was moving that fast.

People saying Frontier is lazy or doesn't think of things, I'm pretty sure that they thought of all of this.

It looks like they carefully considered the distance, locating it in a spot that it would have been able to get to in the time allowed, with some kind of conventional antimatter engines or maybe nuclear powered with improved technology.

They may have intentionally picked an inhabited system for entirely practical reasons. People need somewhere to drop something, and the system not being anarchy means that gankers at least have notoriety for what they do, and bounty hunters can get payout for it.

Back to the lore, I don't think it's far-fetched that a ship with a 2100s power plant would be missed especially if it was trying to be missed. Upaniklis is discovered. How many times do discovered systems get swept with the FSS/radio telescopes on stations/whatever? Even if we assume that stations' scanning capabilities are beyond those of the ADS or even the new FSS, is it reasonable to assume that the station would detect the ship automatically? If it can't detect it automatically, is it reasonable to assume it is actively scanning the system? And when UC is paying ships to do that anyway? And since UC controls the data trade, any scanning equipment the station has would be influenced by that, meaning the capabilities delta between ships and stations just got a lot smaller if the station's own data is being fed into UC's systems. If the station has its own scientific survey equipment that goes beyond UC ship spec, what is the point of using it? How often would it be used?

I mean think of this, most people have a home system or a couple home systems. Do you scan them every time you find yourself in them? Besides all that, the top speed of this ship, going by the distance we found it at 1200 or so years later, if it spent that whole time at top speed, which it probably hasn't, in a straight line to its current destination, which it hasn't, would be 150~ million kph. It would take these guys less than a day and half at top speed to go from the Sun to Pluto, or less than an hour to go from the Sun to Earth.

They could have made for the first system with a broadcasting listening post/transceiver of some kind. Or, because of some other reason, like needing a bunch of cargo canisters to make a giant circle for the hell portal, or something like that.

The ship is stopped now.

Is it just another so small example of Frontier not asking them selves basic questions and thinking plot lines through?
Can someone tell me how to avoid, or be able to recover from an FSD disruption in an Anaconda? I find I constantly get disrupted before I can jump out.
Until/if I find out how, after ~4yrs of doing CGs in open (or whenever they started,I've been playing for longer) I'm switching to solo/PG (hope you're happy with that Neotantrix :p).

If we're talking grom bomb, the soft fix is to fly with a PD. Only some ships have that luxury though. The ones with weaker shields shouldn't give up the booster. The hard fix is taking fast boot instead of long range on the FSD.

If we're talking Pulse Disruptor, I don't think there is much to do.

Well you know what, I've just gone solo for the first time too. I just evaded another disruptor attack - hey, you two, you are not as good as you think you are - but even if I can afford to throw Anacondas away, I really, really do not have time to waste.

Top Bottom