Inhabited Generation Ship (The Golconda)

The question is. Will this get that ship cost reduction in all empire space or also in li space to get a ship with more than 20% reduction to cost. I think that pretty much sums up my feelings. Unless the planet later had a ground colony that will be traded with. This is the other part of this. I want to trade with them, but could we do it later. Say, after the next update?!

I am still trying to work out how such a large ship that travels so slow (compared to current ships) has managed to stay undetected in a highly populated systems for so long.
Could be worse. The inhabitants could've thought it was an unusually long asteroid, created by some sort of extrusion process and ignored it until it started accelerating out of the system....;)

I would have thought Megaships would spend the vast majority of their time in inter-stellar space, where no-one could ever find them.
A generation ship braking from a significant fraction of lightspeed to come to rest in a system would be dumping the sort of energy it would be hard for technologically advanced inhabitants of that system to overlook.

I'm currently thinking that:

The in-system authorities saw the ship when it arrived;
They made contact and were informed of the colonists' desire to remain isolated, which they agreed to respect;
The officers of the Golconda at the time were so paranoid about outside contact that they made no record of the encounter;
So when the current generation of colonists got into trouble they had no way of knowing that all they had to do was ring the next-door neighbour's bell and ask for help.

A generation ship braking from a significant fraction of lightspeed to come to rest in a system would be dumping the sort of energy it would be hard for technologically advanced inhabitants of that system to overlook.

They made contact and were informed of the colonists' desire to remain isolated, which they agreed to respect;
The officers of the Golconda at the time were so paranoid about outside contact that they made no record of the encounter;
So when the current generation of colonists got into trouble they had no way of knowing that all they had to do was ring the next-door neighbour's bell and ask for help.

I thought about this also, They are stationary near Planet B3, i assume that It would have taken them months, even years to slow down. So did they message long before stopping, it seems pointless that they plan to stop if they didnt know anyone was there.

I can send instant messages both Text and Vocal across the entire galaxy to a friends ship, so FLT communication is a thing in 3305.
However this Generation ship was lanuched before the advent of FTL travel, So would they have FTL comms? are they still using Radio which travels at Light speed.
If so why would the authorities of the Upaniklis system still possess equiptment that listens on standard radio channels, It would take hours to communicate between ships, stations and worlds so therefore obsolete.

Ding, dong! Would you mind if we borrowed a cup of sugar?

I thought about this also, They are stationary near Planet B3, i assume that It would have taken them months, even years to slow down. So did they message long before stopping, it seems pointless that they plan to stop if they didnt know anyone was there.

I can send instant messages both Text and Vocal across the entire galaxy to a friends ship, so FLT communication is a thing in 3305.
However this Generation ship was lanuched before the advent of FTL travel, So would they have FTL comms? are they still using Radio which travels at Light speed.
If so why would the authorities of the Upaniklis system still possess equiptment that listens on standard radio channels, It would take hours to communicate between ships, stations and worlds so therefore obsolete.
The Golconda may not be stationery. If you drop into the local gravity well of somewhere like Mitterand Hollow the instancing brings you along with the planet, once you've caught up with it. There's also a few places where installations move away faster than you can catch them so, FDev internal consistency?

Didn't appear to be anything in the logs confirming they'd stopped, maybe more details will manifest?

I am still trying to work out how such a large ship that travels so slow (compared to current ships) has managed to stay undetected in a highly populated systems for so long.
Well most of the time it has been in normal space between stars, we mostly don't do that unless we are going to get a mug of gin and even then we aren't really in normal space even if we can see it..

I very well appreciate that they are driving the story further! - But imagine how much more satisfying it would be to interact with the ship itself instead of a nearby station.
Anyway this plot catches my interest...

Remind me not to get on a generation ship where you are the captain. :p
Don't get me wrong, it would require some...unique individuals/society to let it happen, but if you slow down generations and plan precisely who has a children with whom, you can significantly slow down genetic drift even with a small population on a long voyage.

Dear, it's an mmo...
How many different CGs do you want to have set up by FD to meet everyone's opinion!?
A 3rd like you suggest would have been nice, yes, but then at least a "kill 'em all" - CG also is arguable... And so on and on...

I' ll go for the large landing pad option ;)

This CG is in direct contradiction to GalCop Federal law and regulations. Penalty for interference with a Generation Ship is marooning.

How many different CGs do you want to have set up by FD to meet everyone's opinion!?

Zero.

The game should respond, largely automatically, to player interaction with preset conditions. CGs, or their equivalent, should be dynamic events that require no developer interaction. The hand crafted story and voice acting are nice and could be done for special events, but there should be far more dynamic interaction at all levels of the game.

I very well appreciate that they are driving the story further! - But imagine how much more satisfying it would be to interact with the ship itself instead of a nearby station.
Anyway this plot catches my interest...

Ever play Dead Space? I don't think anybody wants to be on that ship

I'm calling it right now. Something's up. There's more going on than the shippers are telling.

Top Bottom