Inner Moons List

Okay, the one I'm talking about is BLAE FLYUAE OY-H D10-0 B 1 A
I've added it to the list in the OP :)

I'll have to rewrite the OP a bit. It used to have the table of known spectacular-looking planets with shepherd moons, however I just can't beat the new forum engine to create a nice-looking table.

Last edited:
Thanks, I've send somebody to investigate further, didn't really realise what I have found there.

Edit: Pic inc!
bKK1CQ6.png

Pic by Chankk Saotome

Last edited:
I'm attempting another stab at getting the innermost moons into the spreadsheet, where possible. I've been ignoring the "parents" hierarchy information from EDSM because I didn't think it was very complete, and while that's somewhat true, I think there's enough of it filled in that we can get some interesting results from those that have the data populated. If the planet orbits a barycenter instead of a planet/star directly, it shows its direct parent as "Null" rather than "Planet" or "Star". So for the ones that have that field, I can filter out the barycentric binaries etc.

I wish we could get a record of those barycenter orbits, so that we could accurately include binaries, but there's just no way to do that right now. But at least I can include more moons in the spreadsheet and skip a lot of those with a little more confidence.

I have a test-run going. It's a slow script, so I'll post an update later if it turns out this is working as expected.

EDIT: I'll have to do some debugging / reworking later. It's not doing what I want at the moment. Grrr. :rolleyes::confused:

Last edited:
And we have one more system, reported by cmdr. MiggyDangerous: Bleia Flyuae RZ-F c11-3 body #2 -- orange gas giant with water-based life and binary moon inside the inner radius of it's ring.
Found a Gas Giant with a massive ring system on Distant Worlds 2 of size 5,532,131 KM plus inside that ring system between the Gas Giant are two landable moons which are orbiting each other. This was the Bleia Flyuae RZ-F c11-3 2 b (Planet), Galactic Map pos = -3594.22, -1051.41, 42953.25

anENUMZ.jpg

gZ3ojF0.png

tRNstbU.jpg

qcXMGaI.jpg

dUWWIBq.jpg

Last edited:
One more system is reported by cmdr. Jeff God of Biscuits: Hypuae Audst TT-R e4-567 body #14 -- Y-type brown dwarf with four moons (and one submoon) inside it's enormous rocky outer ring.
A 48 body system, this system stands out in that the 14th body, a Class Y Brown dwarf star, has an extremely large (outer radius of 13.3m km) set of rings surrounding it, large enough to be seen upon system entry. While that is not rare, what is rare is the large gap in the center of the rings contains 5 additional bodies. All five are landable, and three of them contain geological sites. There is also a gas giant in in orbit around the outside of the rings, useful in giving scale to rings. In the last photo, the gas giant can be seen to the lower left of the ship.

aRTehCa.jpg

Ly4Q2QA.jpg

uNMNvkG.jpg

j1fOWvz.jpg

2cbGQOa.jpg

Last edited:
Stuemeae CC-D c12-5083

A system with 30+ls wide rings around a ammonia gas giant. looks spectacular, and you can't miss it as you enter the system... it has 4 moons inside the outer rings
I went throught this system in march, but i was so excited to see the rings that i forgot to bookmark it. So after the DW2 finish I had to go back and find it one more time.

Greetings folks. I've wanted to add the best examples of shepard/inner ring moons into the GMP. Can anyone suggest the "best" three for addition?

I would strongly prefer ones that are between two visible rings or a planet and a visible ring. If it's inclined more than 15 deg, that would be an automatic winner.

Greetings folks. I've wanted to add the best examples of shepard/inner ring moons into the GMP. Can anyone suggest the "best" three for addition?

I would strongly prefer ones that are between two visible rings or a planet and a visible ring. If it's inclined more than 15 deg, that would be an automatic winner.
The one I mentioned in post #62 also has an outer moon with perpendicular orbit, giving a great view of the rings ;)
jIarkkj.png

I have a list of the most spectacular looking extra-large rings and shepherd moons:

2MASS J18190744-1640266 body #6
4NR8BjJ.png

Byoi Eurk LM-W e1-10 body #6
Akmu6IU.jpg

Eol Prou GC-L d8-16 body #AB 1
pRQylRV.png

Pru Eurk WA-U c4-2 body #7
N2tiqtb.jpg

Splierd UD-B D1 body #8
F3zhZV7.jpg

It is very difficult to choose among them, for they all are awesome :)

However if we are talking about planets that also have landable moons on an orbit inclined relative to the plane of the rings, I know three such systems.

1) Bleia Flyuae ZU-N d7-54 body #10 -- water world with extensive system of metallic rings and three landable moons. The last of them is slightly (about 27°) inclined relative to the plane of the ring.
yah9EFr.jpg

2) The second one -- Myriesly LC-D d12-5390 body #3 -- is a gas giant with water-based life. It has landable moon on a highly inclined orbit (about 70°) and also looks great :)
FwoHzvu.jpg

aY6nKu7.jpg

3) And the third one (if I had to choose only one system, personally I'd vote for that one) is the one discovered by Dr. Nagi: Blae Flyuae OY-H d10-0 body #B 1.
Planet B 1 is a Gas Giant with water based life and some large rings. It has 2 moons, the first one being a so called "inner moon" that orbits inside the rings, a quite uncommon thing in Elite, despite our own solar system having plenty examples of these. The second moon is a landable with an orbit almost perpendicular to the rings, giving a nice view upon them. At the time I landed on it, I got a view that made the rings look like a giant saw, about to cut the moon in half, hence the name.
Zo1VR8i.png

CUM2Cc6.jpg

QInYJDi.jpg

PL8sGsm.jpg

Last edited:
And one more system, reported by cmdr. foobaron76: Slaiyooe CB-X d1-5 body #6 -- Class I gas giant:
This gas giant has two sets of rings, with five moons orbiting in the space between the rings. The outer rings are extremely wide compared to the size of the gas giant. Three of the moons orbit their parent body in a trinary arrangement. The innermost moon offers a nice view of the inner ring system from a number of active geological sites.

Approaching the planet from a distance gives the impression of the gas giant and moons being walled off from the rest of the universe by the massive outer rings.

9SZRmtn.jpg

unHfAWT.jpg

And one even more: Syrivai UY-R d4-67 body #3 -- Class IV gas giant, reported by cmdr. Mooing.
Upon arriving at this system, the first thing the explorer will notice is the rings of the 3rd planet. Even from 6kLs, the rings of this Class IV Gas Giant are very clearly visible. The giant has three rings. A single moon orbits between its 2nd and 3rd rings. A gas giant with ammonia-based life orbits the great wall as a moon. That gas giant has moons of its own which are landable and provide stunning views of the great wall. Like the Great Wall of China, these immense rings are the protectors of this system; blocking incoming threats with its mighty size.

NPc4CIv.jpg

Y1Tdato.jpg

LSNpqR2.png

Hi guys and OP, i recently found an ELW inbetween two sets of rings would it be worth finding the system and screenshots or are you guys specifically looking for rocky types?

Last edited:
So these the only 2 screenshots i got as it was on DW2 and i didnt hang around for better orbit. Both the rings are metal rich.

Its right next to Polo Harbour, so this side of sag A, I hope one day i can land on this ELW and enjoy the constant shooting stars from the rings.

Im on XB1 and i had to compress the images to post so they lost a little quality but you get the picture.

Last edited:
So these the only 2 screenshots i got as it was on DW2 and i didnt hang around for better orbit. Both the rings are metal rich.

View attachment 131773

View attachment 131779

View attachment 131780

Its right next to Polo Harbour, so this side of sag A, I hope one day i can land on this ELW and enjoy the constant shooting stars from the rings.

Im on XB1 and i had to compress the images to post so they lost a little quality but you get the picture.

That's cool enough I need to go see it on the way home from DW2. You should definitely submit to the Galactic Mapping Project.

Thank you! That is a very nice system, worth visiting! Added it to the OP.

And I think cmdr. iain666 is right: shepherd ELW is not something you meet every day.

Last edited:
Nice photos! To my great shame I've never been there. But I'm in the Bubble now, so I'll try to correct this as soon as possible :)

UPD. Corrected :) The system appears to have tourist beacon, named "Impressive rings". And it deserves the name. One of the shepherd moons is, by the way, double and it gives nice views on the nearest celestial bodies :) Both moons also have some pumpkins.

I was going to make an orrery view screenshot, however Alnitak #8 is one of those exceptions where the orrery somehow doesn't show rings at all.

Hww1XOW.jpg

AvEpEtQ.jpg

I have seen several in the bubble, I'll try and hunt some piccies down
I know at least one more: LTT 16019, but the Bubble is big, actually, some more may still be hiding somewhere :)

Last edited:
And we have one more system, giving, I should say, astonishing views: Qosoa AA-A h56, reported by cmdr. Tumama.

The second planet of this system is a class I gas giant with two sets of rings being the largest one 2.6 million km in outer radius. It also has a peculiar moon system of 5 moons, four of them trapped between rings acting as sheperds. The remaining one is doomed to watch from way outside the outer rings, on an almost perpendicular orbit. Explorers can get a good view of the gas giant, the inner moons and the two rings from the surface.

TKjIClX.png

suKtH76.png

tr59tPq.png

One more system with barely visible giant ring: Syriae Thaa VB-B c27-0 body #4. Tnx cmdr. Alex_Fighter.

This gas giant has a more giant second ring. It has a first ring of normal proportions, after which five of its six satelites orbit. The second ring, however, has a huge surface as it extends from around 1 million kilometers to almost 3.8 million kilometers. While there are other few gargantuan disks discovered, what makes this noteworthy is that it's so dark that any overconfident player may crash with it if getting confused for the situation of the gas giant's satellites.

0SPpf66.png

3NLBriU.png

Top Bottom