INRA Base Discoveries

Something similar to the wave scanner on the SRV would have been good. Something just appearing if you scan a planet with the advanced discovery scanner would be too easy.

Oh absolutely. But it would be sensible to be given some sensor hint that a planet is indeed worth searching (the possible presence of system security ships when there is no population is somewhat immersion breaking), and perhaps some technological assistance in refining that search, rather than have to eyeball the whole surface and rely on not blinking at the wrong moment, or be distracted by the many black features which mysteriously fade away as you approach them.

edit: the surface scan mission search procedure we currently have is a bit too easy for important storyline ppoi like INRA bases
edit2: unless it was just used to clue us into perhaps a large area of the planet which then had to be searched manually, say 300km diameter circle?

Last edited:
Just a quick question: I read somewhere that INRA should have had 12 bases, that would mean: 10 discovered, 2 more to find - is that correct ?

There was speculation about 12 bases because an early base log mentioned 12 projects, but there's no direct correlation (i.e. each base doesn't seem to have specifically been about one project). I wouldn't be surprised either way!

There was speculation about 12 bases because an early base log mentioned 12 projects, but there's no direct correlation (i.e. each base doesn't seem to have specifically been about one project). I wouldn't be surprised either way!

Question is whether it'd be worthwhile searching for two further INRA bases - any thoughts ?

Question is whether it'd be worthwhile searching for two further INRA bases - any thoughts ?

That's a tricky one :) To my knowledge the only INRA bases that have been found were found by some genius detective work based on a trailer/clue shown an FX17, and from clues given by listening posts or at the bases themselves. Each one leads to the next, etc. then the trail went cold. The Jameson crash site is related and could be seen as the end to the INRA-history elements.

However - in the last game there was an important base on a planet called Hotice (where the Mycoid Vaccine was stored), and there's a suggestion in the last logs discovered that there was shipments to another base. However Hotice doesn't seem to exist, and that base may or may not exist. Also INRA existed until 3252, and the bases so far date from the first war era (circa 3150's). So, it's possible there's a lot more yet to be found.

You best bet is to search for Listening Posts - even if you don't find one specifically for this, any previously unknown LP is a BRILLIANT thing to find. Jorki complied a fantastic spreadsheet here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/389023-Listening-post-UCB-checklist which shows existing ones (not sure how up-to-date it is right now).

That's a tricky one :) To my knowledge the only INRA bases that have been found were found by some genius detective work based on a trailer/clue shown an FX17, and from clues given by listening posts or at the bases themselves. Each one leads to the next, etc. then the trail went cold. The Jameson crash site is related and could be seen as the end to the INRA-history elements.

However - in the last game there was an important base on a planet called Hotice (where the Mycoid Vaccine was stored), and there's a suggestion in the last logs discovered that there was shipments to another base. However Hotice doesn't seem to exist, and that base may or may not exist. Also INRA existed until 3252, and the bases so far date from the first war era (circa 3150's). So, it's possible there's a lot more yet to be found.

You best bet is to search for Listening Posts - even if you don't find one specifically for this, any previously unknown LP is a BRILLIANT thing to find. Jorki complied a fantastic spreadsheet here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/389023-Listening-post-UCB-checklist which shows existing ones (not sure how up-to-date it is right now).

Haven’t put the recent Eagle Eye UCBs in yet, but as far as I know that’s all that’s missing.

just wondering but has anyone taken a basic cobra mk3 with same jump range (7to 8 ly) as what was available in elite from Taylor keep to Jamesons crash site? Checking the systems en route?

One theory i have is that a system near taylor keep was the one where Jameson completed his mission, but the adaptations forced a misjump, hence why he ended up so far away

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone's noticed, but the Thargoids have been finding the INRA bases as they progress through the bubble. There are now only two that have not visited : Mayes and Hogan (both part of the production line for Mycoid).

(Canonn Eagle Eye page lists INRA bases found, also INRA locations).

Intriguing thing about this is that 2.4 ended once the Aegis Labs had been attacked by the Thargoids. At the current rate of 1-2 INRA bases found per week this means that 3.1 may come out once all the INRA bases have been found, in which case we should know next week when that will be (if one is found next week then 5th June, if both the remaining two are found then 29th May).

(I might be overthinking this, but it never made sense to me that FD would allow us to bring the Thargoids to a halt for an arbitrary length of time by stopping startport attacks - it may be that we have agency in repelling the starport attacks, but we can't stop the Thargoids doing INRA research - and maybe this focus on INRA also ties in with the League of Reparation, no idea how).

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone's noticed, but the Thargoids have been finding the INRA bases as they progress through the bubble. There are now only two that have not visited : Mayes and Hogan (both part of the production line for Mycoid).

Intriguing thing about this is that 2.4 ended once the Aegis Labs had been attacked by the Thargoids. At the current rate of 1-2 INRA bases found per week this means that 3.1 may come out once all the INRA bases have been found, in which case we should know next week when that will be (if one is found next week then 5th June, if both the remaining two are found then 29th May).

(I might be overthinking this, but it never made sense to me that FD would allow us to bring the Thargoids to a halt for an arbitrary length of time by stopping startport attacks - it may be that we have agency in repelling the starport attacks, but we can't stop the Thargoids doing INRA research - and maybe this focus on INRA also ties in with the League of Reparation, no idea how).

Hmm... given all the talk about lack of communication from the Thargoids, it strikes me that communication might be exactly what we're seeing here. It's reasonable to assume that the Thargoids know we're following their pointers. And some of those pointers could very easily be construed as great big arrows saying "Look what's here. We know what happened.". There might even be an aspect of "We know many of you don't know what you did, so we are pointing it out to you.".

The LoR are goids in human disguise I tell ya! Didnt you see the pic of MB cuddling up to a UA?
They are amongst us!! Ricardo warned us!
:D

Good point: The League of Reparation - yes, this is something new in-game and I am sure that there will be another assassination in the near future.
I am doing research in this subject and hope to find something more solid. Please have a look here from time to time.

I speculated a couple of months ago that maybe the whole push into the bubble after they found the first two INRA bases was part of an investigation by the goids to piece together the story of why there were no thargoids here when they arrived.

Surely they would have expected to see at least some colonys/hives here when they arrived. Maybe like an advanced scouting party/barnacle seeders etc but when there were none because of mycoid they decided to find out what happened. Be an intersting turn of events if true,what would happen if they find out we decimated a large part of their species?

I speculated a couple of months ago that maybe the whole push into the bubble after they found the first two INRA bases was part of an investigation by the goids to piece together the story of why there were no thargoids here when they arrived.

Surely they would have expected to see at least some colonys/hives here when they arrived. Maybe like an advanced scouting party/barnacle seeders etc but when there were none because of mycoid they decided to find out what happened. Be an intersting turn of events if true,what would happen if they find out we decimated a large part of their species?

I think they know what happened. At least it seems so in the books.
The Oresrians seem to be losing their war with the Klaxians. Perhaps they are after some Mycoid to use on them?
That would explain both the Aegis lab attacks and the interest in old INRA bases.

I think they know what happened. At least it seems so in the books.
The Oresrians seem to be losing their war with the Klaxians. Perhaps they are after some Mycoid to use on them?
That would explain both the Aegis lab attacks and the interest in old INRA bases.

I havent read the books but know the general gist of the oresrians/klaxians.

Givin what we see in game that could also be the case.

Obviously it would be very strange if they just happened to pick systems with INRA bases in them to attack,there has to be some sort of narrative developing there.

Obviously it would be very strange if they just happened to pick systems with INRA bases in them to attack,there has to be some sort of narrative developing there.

To be clear: they are not attacking those systems (no starports, unpopulated etc) - they are showing as Eagle Eye targets - which theoretically means they are centres of Thargoid activity. Most likely researching INRA, because they don't trust the books are a source of anything, as they don't appear in-game :D

To be clear: they are not attacking those systems (no starports, unpopulated etc) - they are showing as Eagle Eye targets - which theoretically means they are centres of Thargoid activity. Most likely researching INRA, because they don't trust the books are a source of anything, as they don't appear in-game :D

Hmm, has anyone been to the bases while (or after) they've been pointed to?

Oops,over looked that point about it not being the attcked system.

Agreed on the books not being in game. I dont think theres been anything in game to rule orsrians/klaxians in or out though. So may,may not be the case.

For me i like to think the current thargoids are the same as the ones we originally fought and they are investigating why their breathren were not here awaiting them,instead just a few delapadated TS's. Aegis creating weapons/doing research lead the thargoids to them,attacking Aegis led them to INRA and learning about INRA will make them do X

That probably doesnt fit with the orsrians/klaxians theory but so far its the one i like to think most.

Hopefully 3.1 will give us a few more answers either way:)

I do forget a little about how these work... does that mean the Eagle Eye system just transmits the relevant system/planet as a target, or is there a corresponding Thargoid Structure signal that has the Thargoid Link point to the actual base?

Top Bottom