Engineers Intedriction escape vector off screen.

Interdiction happens, you start to maneuver to place the escape vector in your sights.... and it goes off screen. WHat now?
How can I track it when I don't see it? The holo target tracks the placement of either my attacker, or my destination (I think).

Is this intentional to make interdictions impossible to win? Have I missed anything?

You can generally get a good idea of it based upon the angle of the interdiction HUD display. Turn to bring it back 'flat' on the screen in front of you.

Interdictions are rife with bugs all of which have existed since 1.0 as far as I can tell, the frame of reference bug where you flicker between two seperate channels certainly still exists, as does the bug where your happily sitting in the blue zone and it snaps 90 degrees to one side and you instantly fail.

Interdictions are rife with bugs all of which have existed since 1.0 as far as I can tell, the frame of reference bug where you flicker between two seperate channels certainly still exists, as does the bug where your happily sitting in the blue zone and it snaps 90 degrees to one side and you instantly fail.
Many users report bug free interdiction mechanic and so claim there is no problem.
But many also report random glitches that make the minigame impossible to play since launch.
That is the nature of bugs.

It's also true that I haven't seen the "how to interdict successfully" threads include the one bit of advice that seems to have made a significant difference to my take down rate.

shrugs.

Interdiction is a mysterious beast.

mind you - I always submit when interdicted, so I don't know whether the technique works in reverse.

What's the technique?

Well I'm sure most high rank combat pilots know it, but since I learnt it from some senior Alliance CMDRs I just suggest you wing up with them and ask next time you're undermining for the Alliance.

Last edited:
It's also true that I haven't seen the "how to interdict successfully" threads include the one bit of advice that seems to have made a significant difference to my take down rate.

shrugs.

Interdiction on is a mysterious beast.

Probably psychological and out-of-date but when I used to try and fight the interdictions, I'd find that dropping to half-speed when losing would help to get back in the blue and then slowly accelerating while in the blue would help maintain it.

But with the NPCs posing a higher threat these days I usually submit and run based on threat level.

Last edited:
Based on current state of the game, fighting interdictions is not only fairly useless, but irrelevant.

There are only two logical scenarios when someone interdicts you -

A) You want to get away -
-if this is your desire, then you waste more time fighting the interdiction even if you can somehow consistently pull of escapes in what is by current meta no longer as easy to do as it once was.
-the fastest, easiest method to escape an NPC interdicting you is simply throttle down immediately, give in to interdiction, then full throttle-boost-boost away nearly 99%+ of all cases with barely shield scratches before you can jump away again

B) you want to fight the NPC
-no point evading the interdiction then, same as above, you throttle down and give in, then fight.

With the much tougher and longer interdiction mini-game, I can't see any reason why whether you want to fight or flight, the best option isn't simply given in and either immediately jump away again or duke it out. You burn way more time doing the interdicting mini-game regardless which way you want to deal with the NPC so might as well just skip it

Last edited:
After 2 solid years of this I'm convinced of two things;

1. The AI aren't bound by the same "get behind target" as humans are and can interdict you from a far wider angle, pushing the escape vector off the side of your screen. Ive submitted screen shots showing the interdictor in front of my ship, the escape vector is, i asume behind me.

And

B. FD can't or don't want to, fix it.

Last edited:
After 2 solid years of this I'm convinced of two things;

1. The AI aren't bound by the same "get behind target" as humans are and can interdict you from a far wider angle, pushing the escape vector off the side of your screen. Ive submitted screen shots showing the interdictor in front of my ship, the escape vector is, i asume behind me.

And

B. FD can't or don't want to, fix it.

I'm convinced of these too, even though it seems wierd to list "1." and "B." ;)

No bugs here. I know FD said it was but I don't believe. Either way we can rescue ourselves.

Absolutely is avoidable and is doable even when vector veers off.
I need to make a video to demonstrate.
It's hard to describe but easy to perform.
The only ship I have struggled with is the T9. Almost impossible with T9 so I will look for another method.

It does occasionally go your way, though. I was interdicted today, and immediately the escape vector angled offscreen to the left, then my blue bar filled up within 2 seconds and I got "Interdiction Evaded". I'd barely even moved the mouse.

It does occasionally go your way, though. I was interdicted today, and immediately the escape vector angled offscreen to the left, then my blue bar filled up within 2 seconds and I got "Interdiction Evaded". I'd barely even moved the mouse.
Yes. But that is still a bug ;)

Interdiction happens, you start to maneuver to place the escape vector in your sights.... and it goes off screen. WHat now?
How can I track it when I don't see it?

It is still there, with a Track IR like I use you can keep it the escape vector in sight at all times. It probably makes it 100 times easier.

Last edited:
Is this intentional to make interdictions impossible to win? Have I missed anything?

Nope, this is a bug. Happened to me yesterday too, was winning an interdiction against an NPC that I had just escaped from, when suddenly the target shifts off screen and start jumping around like crazy. Instantly lost the interdiction. As Derath says, bug that's been around forever and for some reason hasn't been fixed.

Screen shot from Beta 1.3

EaNOAbg.jpg

Escape vector behind me, interdictor up and to my right, seconds later he was in front of me. That SS was taken almost as soon as the mini game started. I started to think it was intended because of the angles that NPC's can interdict you from (in this case on my upper front right (hes marked as hostile), whilst flying towards me) and I just dont think they can fix it to be honest

Last edited:
Yesterday i had three interditions i started with bugged interdiction vectors,
they stuttered back and forth in quick succession, being unable to tell where the vector was in the first place.
This is really buggy and i don't know what it is, instancing/server communication
problems?

The less people are online, the less errors i faced.

Sorry to open an old thread but I was going to ask the exact same question as the OP and it hasn't been answered.
Bugs aside how do you find the escape vector if it goes off screen?

Sorry to open an old thread but I was going to ask the exact same question as the OP and it hasn't been answered.
Bugs aside how do you find the escape vector if it goes off screen?

If, for some reason, you want to chase it, the key is in the direction of the speedlines. They originate from escape vector marker and can be used to orient yourself back towards it.

That said, if the thing is that far off screen, you'll probably be interdicted before you catch back up to it in most ships, so you'd likely be better off submitting then high-waking (or fighting if that's your thing).

Top Bottom