Integration of Orrery mode into FSS and color-coding.

I honestly think that there should be a toggle for Orrery view inside the FSS. Currently Orrery is cool, but at the same time it's kind of useless, but in FSS it would make a TON of sense. When I cant find that one missing signal I might spend 10 or 15 minutes crawling through the skybox for it (there really needs to be a sensitivity adjustment for scanner speed). Now if I could toggle the Orrery, and have the system actually take shape (the unscanned bodies would still appear as static) then I'd be able to find the missing objects more easily plus I'd have a much better intuitive sense of how the system was laid out.
The fact is that having the FSS mode, the system map, and the Orrery all separate- is ludicrous. Find a way to seamlessly bind all of these things together. I imagine jumping into a system, hearing "orbital plane established" and then being able to not only zoom into a signal source, but also pop it out into the orrery view, select my scan targets that way, and then with another button press I could zoom back to my ship's FSS perspective again.
After rendering a planet in the FSS, you should be seeing a focused part of the system map, whereby pushing a button could pull back to reveal the rest of the system map as you are used to seeing it. Selecting a different planet in the system map and hitting the FSS button, you'd be back in FSS mode scanning that body.
I'm not saying that's the perfect way to mash these three things together, but it definitely would make the process more engaging.

Also, I was looking at this image and it made me realize that if the FSS were color-coded like this, it would be more interesting to use it. Both in the waveforms and in the arrows. Over time it would go a long way towards intuitively understanding what I'm seeing on screen plus it wouldn't put me to sleep as badly.

When implementing this color scheme, have a default but also allow users to pick and choose. Some people might only want to color earth-likes green and leave everything else default blue.

So long as this doesn't mean that we can't use the System Map or Orrery while throttled up, then yeah, whatever ;)

Oh, side note, if we're messing around with the colors of the spectrum can we make it so it doesn't wash out when it's in front of a bright star?

Top Bottom