Interdictions - watching both sides at the same time

I've always been curious about the dynamics of interdictions. E.g. when the escape vector is miles away from the middle on my screen, is that a sign that the other party (mostly NPCs in my case!) has nailed it right in the middle, "pushing" mine off centre?
Normally this occurs to me during the interdiction and then I immediately forget about it due to the intensity of the moment :ROFLMAO:. Today, it occurred to me while not playing. Bingo!
So, in order to see this in action, I simply googled things like "elite dangerous interdiction from both points of view" and then was stunned to find a total absence of side-by-side videos showing synchronised streams from both the interdictor and the interdictee. What gives? (This totally violates the rule that if you can dream it up it's already on YouTube, and I must say I'm very cross about that :p)

Anyway - do you guys know if anyone has ever made such a video?
Other info about the process would be welcomed. It's just idle curiosity of course.

That would be interesting to see, but I have never seen such a video myself.
While there is plenty you can do to prevent them from ever getting you in range and themselves into proper position to begin an interdiction, you really have pretty very low chances of beating an interdiction attempt from an even mildly competent player trying to yank you into real space once the interdiction has begun. The mechanics, or network circumstances, of the interdiction mini game seems to favor the player that initiates interdiction too much to beat them unless they really muck it up.
Against NPC's it seems to be the opposite. The player being interdicted by an NPC really has to muck up the mini game to end up losing.

Still on a bit of a break while I build and test my new system, but when I'm back to playing regularly again, if anyone able to record decent video on their end wants to chase my CMDR though the tunnel game, I will record it from my perspective and sync the time stamps, as required.

Of course, this shouldn't be difficult for anyone else to do either.

I'd have a go myself but I haven't yet tried to record gaming, and my current rig is getting pretty creaky now so will probably have to replace it before I do try to set it up. (It doesn't help that I don't actually know any other humans that play Elite right now!)

Would it be any good if a couple of PS4 players did it for you? I wouldn’t have the first clue how to edit the videos to be side by side, but at least both players could very easily record the interdiction attempt from both point of view. I don’t know how I’d go about getting the videos up here but I could ask my squadron if they fancy trying it, for science.

Getting video footage is easy with the XBox Game Bar

I've no idea about uploading it to youtube or someplace so that someone with a decent video editing suite could patch the two videos together using a comms text as a virtual clapperboard. But if you are going to do it, I'd suggest you pay attention to the orientation of the ships. Keep them both orientated the same way so that the any discrepancies in the directions should be more visible

I reckon that console footage would probably be much the same as PC footage, and indeed it may be useful to have a few approaches if this thing really doesn't already exist.
I'm not quite sure what you mean about orientation @Frank but it got me thinking a bit - it seems the most obvious thing is just to let things go as they normally would and see what happens, but if orientation matters then that would be a reason for trying a few times with slightly different tacks.
I do know that I invariably end up pointing the wrong direction when I evade an interdiction - it might just be because I'm not pointing the right direction but at least in my head I feel like I'm often pointing exactly the wrong direction :)

Is it possible to play two commander accounts on one pc with two monitors side by side and record that? This is assuming you can't split screen like old game type thingies with a third party program.

Is it possible to play two commander accounts on one pc with two monitors side by side and record that? This is assuming you can't split screen like old game type thingies with a third party program.
Good question. Sounds harder to make it work in practice but at least the sync would be guaranteed :)
Ths reminds me that I forgot to address @Frank's comment about the clapperboard - good idea to use a chat message! My own half-baked concept was to use the clock in the HUD (on my screen at least, it shows the time in the top right at all times). If it's synced to an Elite server rather than using the local PC clock, that might just be enough all by itself.
I have very limited video editing skills and zero graphics design aptitude but I am sure that if a lack of a video editor became an obstacle to tackling this thing, I could step up ;) Having said that, I suspect many people who know how to record gameplay have probably already played about with editing the end results.

No results yet, but thanks for the question (both of you in fact) as it prompted me to install OBS. I had heard that it was a nightmare to get it set up but it couldn't have been any easier and the quality is fine with no detectable impact on CPU or GPU... wow. (Not sure it's perfect but certainly more than fit for purpose.)

So... I'm now able to be one half of the recording. Any volunteers to be the other half? (I'm not a member of Mobius, yet.) I'm not sure if console players are in the same instances as PC players, and in fact I have virtually zero experience of being in Open so umm, this may not go smoothly :ROFLMAO:

I've always been curious about the dynamics of interdictions. E.g. when the escape vector is miles away from the middle on my screen, is that a sign that the other party (mostly NPCs in my case!) has nailed it right in the middle, "pushing" mine off centre?

Can't provide a video, but from my experience it's exactly the other way around...

• Als long as the interdictor "nails" the cursor, keeping it very still in the center, it remains mostly still and relatively easy to avoid for the interdictee, too
  • If you want to make it more difficult as the interdictor, you have to deliberately "miss" the cursor, causing it to break out to the other side.

So as the interdictor you have some control over where the cursor goes. You can act, while the interdictee can only react. Thus a skilled interdictor will usually win the game against an evenly skilled opponent.

Can't provide a video, but from my experience it's exactly the other way around...

• Als long as the interdictor "nails" the cursor, keeping it very still in the center, it remains mostly still and relatively easy to avoid for the interdictee, too
  • If you want to make it more difficult as the interdictor, you have to deliberately "miss" the cursor, causing it to break out to the other side.

So as the interdictor you have some control over where the cursor goes. You can act, while the interdictee can only react. Thus a skilled interdictor will usually win the game against an evenly skilled opponent.
Wow, that's a total inversion of what I thought. I have been the aggressor in a few NPC interdictions and it seemed like I needed to keep the cursor in the middle to win (I seem to recall winning most of them but it has been a while).
This underscores the need for a video of course! :D

It doesn't always work like that. I have been interdicted and still won even thought the cursor is going mad and nowhere near the centre of my screen. I have also lost when the cursor was almost dead centre and steady. I really don't know what was going on with the agressor each time.
I've noticed the same with interdicting others, I can lose while the cursor is steady and I can win even with the cursor flailing all over the place.
I have been interdicted by an tiny ship with considerably more agility than my Cutter for example, but my Cutter still managed to out-manouver them, that should really be impossible.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic to it unless it's like a game of Tennis.

I have noticed that when I hit the cursor, my score bar goes up and can often keep going up, even when the cursor has drifted way off centre.
Maybe the other person needs to hit the cursor to send the ball back to you, you then hit it to send it back to them and so on. The longer one or the other takes to send the ball back, the more their opponent scores.
The Tennis system the only logical way I can make sense of the experiences I have had.

If a SBS video is made, it should not only be time synched, it should slow as each ship hits the cursor, so you can see exactly what happens with the other ship at that moment. At normal speed with two experienced pilots, things tend to happen way too fast to keep up with both sides at once.
It would also be good to make two video clips of ships of equal and unequal size, so you can see if a larger and less manouverable ship still has an equal chance during interdiction.

Top Bottom