interesting and important question.

Alator

Banned
Hello everybody!
What do you think, when such a thing as “spacelegs” appears in the game, will all the rooms of their ships be available to the players or will they be limited only to “cockpits” whose door will work as a “magic portal” that transfers players immediately outside the ship? :)

There is some evidence that Frontier were serious when they said that they designed the ships with interiors in mind.

For example some folks have built plausible walkthroughs. Others have "got out of the chair" in VR and walked through walls to find elevators and stairs and things built already.
The main thing I hope for in Atmospheric Legs isn't even on ANYONE's "want List" as far as I know.

Facial Expressions.

ED should lend itself to Story Making and video, but the expressionless CMDRs we have don't really lend themselves to that.
Even Frontier's cinematics show a capability of expressions, but we don't get that choice. We just forever look mildly annoyed.
w6xxoFz.jpg

Last edited:
There is some evidence that Frontier were serious when they said that they designed the ships with interiors in mind.

For example some folks have built plausible walkthroughs. Others have "got out of the chair" in VR and walked through walls to find elevators and stairs and things built already.
The main thing I hope for in Atmospheric Legs isn't even on ANYONE's "want List" as far as I know.

Facial Expressions.

ED should lend itself to Story Making and video, but the expressionless CMDRs we have don't really lend themselves to that.
Even Frontier's cinematics show a capability of expressions, but we don't get that choice. We just forever look mildly annoyed.
w6xxoFz.jpg

I always thought the faces were quite life-like. Does nobody else live in a state of persistent bored indifference?

As for OP, the Wiki has links to things, including Braben:

"It's always been a core vision of David Braben that the player is a person in a real futuristic setting, not just a ship.[1]
In the Elite Dangerous Development Plan video (December 14, 2012), Braben talks about walking on planets, in ships, other people's ships, stations, vehicles and being a big game hunter with animals. The ships have been designed with interiors in mind.[2] Multicrew and Holo-Me are the foundation for space legs."

If FDEV see Legs as the New Era and wants to disappoint all player base then yes, they will make a magic portal in the cockpit that will teleport you to your SRV or outside the ship.
That would be a very lazy and cheap expansion then, not really a New Era.

Internal design of the ships will need a lot of rework if you can walk around in more than just the cockpit. You just have to look at how some of the landing gear and hardpoints work to see the issues.

Alator

Banned
Internal design of the ships will need a lot of rework if you can walk around in more than just the cockpit. You just have to look at how some of the landing gear and hardpoints work to see the issues.
that’s for sure, and there are some details indicating that the whole ship will be available for moving (all these elevators on landing gear, etc.),
if fdev is not going to make the ships fully accessible for moving the character, there is no point in such details.
however, I have concerns that these details mean nothing and only cockpit will be available to move in the ship

Hello everybody!
What do you think, IF such a thing as “spacelegs” appears in the game, will all the rooms of their ships be available to the players or will they be limited only to “cockpits” whose door will work as a “magic portal” that transfers players immediately outside the ship? :)
FIXED 😎😉

To me, the "interesting and important" question is: Why do so many people believe "space-legs" is going to be added to the game? Players keep discussing it as if it is an upcoming feature. AFAIK nobody at FDev has ever said space-legs is definitely going to be added and FDev is notorious for "neither confirming nor denying" various player speculations.

To me, the "interesting and important" question is: Why do so many people believe "space-legs" is going to be added to the game? Players keep discussing it as if it is an upcoming feature. AFAIK nobody at FDev has ever said space-legs is definitely going to be added and FDev is notorious for "neither confirming nor denying" various player speculations.
There was a lot of talk about it at the beginning. There were videos with developers talking how excited they are to eventually make walking around the ship, Braben talked how his vision for this game is not only player as a spacecraft, but walking around (did he mention hunting?)
Of course Fdev prefer to avoid stating anything definitely, to be able to cut stuff from the final expansion without people knowing what was going to be there, but I think there's enough clues to base space-legs belief on.
Things might have changed, prorities shifted, etc, but I personally believe space legs might be the core of the New Era, along with base building. Far from certain though ;)

There was a lot of talk about it at the beginning. There were videos with developers talking how excited they are to eventually make walking around the ship, Braben talked how his vision for this game is not only player as a spacecraft, but walking around (did he mention hunting?)
Of course Fdev prefer to avoid stating anything definitely, to be able to cut stuff from the final expansion without people knowing what was going to be there, but I think there's enough clues to base space-legs belief on.
Things might have changed, prorities shifted, etc, but I personally believe space legs might be the core of the New Era, along with base building. Far from certain though ;)

As I recall, all DB ever said was that space-legs was something FDev "would like to do", not "would do".

Alator

Banned
No, walking inside the ship and outside the ship was planned at the beginning. Braben mentions it after talking about including ability to land on planets.
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM0Gcl7iUM8
well, I really would like it to be really as it describes in the video, if fdev will make space legs exactly as Braben says, then it will be difficult for anyone to compete with the elite :)
if only the plans have not changed, but I hope that they have not changed, the delays are caused precisely by the fact that fdev are trying to make as realistic a simulation of the character’s body movement as possible for the game

Quite some time ago and due to graphic glitch, I caught a glimpse of the cabin interior of one of my ships. If I recall correctly, it was my Python.

There were finished walls and floors visible but the view was quite limited.

Static interiors are apparently there, but interacting within those spaces?

We’ll see. Maybe before I drop dead, I’m not as young as I once was.

Top Bottom