Interesting article on gaming community

I don't agree with the sentiment that devs should listen to the loudest voice in the community. That's a bull. IF they want to listen, they must listen to a majority. Or take a "general mood of an audience" into account.
But just bending the game according to a community member with the highest post count doesn't make sense.

Other than that, it's an interesting article.

Brokk mentioned he's in another forum where ragequiters just get blocked to keep the toxicity down.

As time goes on people join, leave or restart a game it's all perfectly normal. A small minority hang around and constantly moan/resent current players, the longer it goes on the more edge cases you collect. Hence the bans.

A little draconian but I can see the sense behind it.

Brokk mentioned he's in another forum where ragequiters just get blocked to keep the toxicity down.

As time goes on people join, leave or restart a game it's all perfectly normal. A small minority hang around and constantly moan/resent current players, the longer it goes on the more edge cases you collect. Hence the bans.

A little draconian but I can see the sense behind it.

Yeah. I guess it's a good thing to draw the line somewhere. I mean, moaners do have their place in the gaming community, but the devs or forum admins should get rid of them once the good they can do for the game is outweighed by the harm they do to a community itself.

Jenner

I wish I was English like my hero Tj.
That was interesting.

I do like their suggestion that more transparency from developers could help keep the dev/fan relationship more healthy. I think more transparency can change an impersonal relationship into a personal one, and therefore make it less likely that 'mob mentality' will take over and toxicity will rule. It's only one part of the solution, though. As the article says game makers and publishers need to handle their communities smarter and not let the mob start dictating the terms. Communities, too, need to take a hard look at themselves. Death threats over the butterflies in the NMS trailer was mentioned in the article, and that kind of reaction is never justified and only serves to destroy any kind of healthy relationship.

Yeah. I guess it's a good thing to draw the line somewhere. I mean, moaners do have their place in the gaming community, but the devs or forum admins should get rid of them once the good they can do for the game is outweighed by the harm they do to a community itself.

Does this apply to white knights as well?

Top Bottom