Interiors, why?

Simple, you can only board if you disable the FSD first.

How long does FSD repair require? A couple of seconds? How about: You can board, but you need to keep the FSD disabled until you can take over the ship or did whatever you wanted to do.

Who's forcing you into it?

I don't think having your ship blown up is exactly popular either. Is it?

I know I don't like it. That's why I avoid it...

Or, alternatively, shoot them in the head. That's a really good method.

I don't know - I didn't read the whole thread.

^This right here points to fundamental design decisions and major changes that would have to be made to the game. What would happen if someone high wakes with intruders oboard and then menu quits? What at first seems like a minor addition might quickly reach Star Citizen level of complexity, if you expect a better solution than some fade-to-black reset back to own ship one.

They get spaced. Or have to use suicide. It's obviously not so trivial to implement something like that. It would be much easier if there were - you know - proper modes for PvP and PvE.

How long does FSD repair require? A couple of seconds? How about: You can board, but you need to keep the FSD disabled until you can take over the ship or did whatever you wanted to do.

I don't know - I didn't read the whole thread.
Bear in mind this isn't limited to piracy.

Players hunt pirates. As a pirate hunter you'd literally be able to inflict the same outcome on pirates as well. Not just blow their ship up. But board them.

And, I'll reiterate, this isn't just a pvp discussion. It's important pvp works right but if the argument is "but pvp hurts" then... Just not enough of a reason. Pvp hurts right now.

They get spaced. Or have to use suicide. It's obviously not so trivial to implement something like that. It would be much easier if there were - you know - proper modes for PvP and PvE.
I definitely agree that the balance is important between PvE and pvp. I personally see that as an opportunity to make fun pvp rather than it being a problem.

Pvp aside, I'm doing trade missions at the moment and I find myself imagining what it'd be like if the npc pirates interdicting me were to get my shields down and then board my ship.

All I can do is just imagine the warning message with red triangle and then jumping out of my seat, running to the weapons rack nearby then setting up an ambush for the pirates. Then waiting for them to breach.

It'd just be so cool.

Then, what if (more likely, I'm set up for combat trading), I get their shields down and board them?

I get to attack their ship, get the bounty and the ship bond for impounding their ship.

The potential for expanded and extended game play is huge. And every ship would have a unique interior, meaning unique strategies for combat in each.

And that's just boarding active ships. What about boarding abandoned ships? There's so much rich game play to be exploited with the concept of having physical ship interiors. The limitations are just hurdles to overcome on the way to delivering those scenarios.

I definitely agree that the balance is important between PvE and pvp. I personally see that as an opportunity to make fun pvp rather than it being a problem.

Pvp aside, I'm doing trade missions at the moment and I find myself imagining what it'd be like if the npc pirates interdicting me were to get my shields down and then board my ship.

All I can do is just imagine the warning message with red triangle and then jumping out of my seat, running to the weapons rack nearby then setting up an ambush for the pirates. Then waiting for them to breach.

It'd just be so cool.

Then, what if (more likely, I'm set up for combat trading), I get their shields down and board them?

I get to attack their ship, get the bounty and the ship bond for impounding their ship.

The potential for expanded and extended game play is huge. And every ship would have a unique interior, meaning unique strategies for combat in each.

And that's just boarding active ships. What about boarding abandoned ships? There's so much rich game play to be exploited with the concept of having physical ship interiors. The limitations are just hurdles to overcome on the way to delivering those scenarios.

this, this and all of this please

it feels like it would be a huge development project though and the (albeit limited) impression i get is development resources are limited
maybe the idea is to see how (financially) successful osyssey is before applying the resources

You could also get missions about some ship who lost contact. You'd have to find the ship, and encounter lots of different scenarios which you'd have to deal with. Ship could have crashed onto a planet and you'd have to board it and recover the black box to find out what happened. Ship could be incapacitated in space and require delivery of materials/etc to be repaired. Ship could have been attacked, and require medical assistance and/or evacuation of survivors. Ship could have been hijacked by pirates / terrorists, and require boarding to release it. Or have to deal with some kind of environmental hazard / accidental destruction and look for survivors...

Plus, there could be new scenarios/activities in signal sources. We could salvage ship components, cargo or materials from the ship wrecks found on signal sources, etc.

All of these and many, many more, either in space or on land, would require ships to have interiors. Ship interiors is also the base foundation for any kind of EVA gameplay.

I think boarding should be treated like interdiction. Ie, a fast paced battle of skill and dexterity between target and assailant. I can imagine a scenario where you first need to disable the target ship, maybe involving a new weapon/module used to hold the ship in place for a short period of time while incurring a massive power draw to your own ship, adding a timed element to proceedings. Then there'd be a race against the clock to either a) repair damage and prepare countermeasures, or b) space walk to the target ship, find a randomly generated access port, and then actually breach the defences with some kind of brute force hack. I can even see a literal equivalent to the interdiction mini-game with the two pilots battling to lock/unlock entrance to the target ship, with group boardings having an automatic advantage (due to a greater ability to encircle the ship and locate the access port), while one-on-one manoeuvres being naturally weighted toward the target. If the target wins the game then they get to escape, leaving their assailant waiting for their power to come back on line, and also petty much unencumbered access to destroy their attacker(s). If the attacker wins then they get to take all cargo/materials/data from their target, making boarding an incredibly lucrative but highly risky endeavour. Stealing ships would not be an option because that's just not how the game works.

Last edited:

It'd just be so cool.

I would love that too. Sounds like to do it properly there could be an entire expansion worth of stuff there however
I don't think this should be a blocker BUT FD would have to figure out a way of meshing into the game for those with and those without the DLC. If I had all the DLC and lets say you didn't ..... And we were both doing trade runs in a T9.. because I have the DLC I could be having to fight off pirates boarding my ship... You would be far more efficient than me which could make you better at BGS work AND PP stuff.

To be honest as a not competitive player at all I actually don't care I get to enjoy fighting off NPC pirates from my ship and get the added bonus of what ever loot I can salvage from them (and perhaps THAT is how they balance it)

But some people who ARE competitive would absolutely complain that it is not fair that they get more stuff "interrupting them" if they have the DLC than those who don't.
This is actually the downside of optional DLCs as opposed to just making a new game. (True in all games not just ED)

But some people who ARE competitive would absolutely complain that it is not fair that they get more stuff "interrupting them" if they have the DLC than those who don't.
This is actually the downside of optional DLCs as opposed to just making a new game. (True in all games not just ED)

especially if they have paid for that DLC
as a thought on a new game scenario and taking the point above into account could odyssey be a test bed for the potential to a new Elite game?
or are we of the opinion Dangerous is the last and will be continuously updated? if so wont this mean an ever increasing amount of splintered galaxies?
unless they force an auto update of the oldest variant up to the next level

I can only speak for myself but if Odyssey were to add interiors such as that I'd be open lettering this forum for a skip to surface button.

I hope that if interiors are to come one day that Frontier would aim a lot higher than a glorified lobby mini-game.

Of course not, JFO is a 3rd person hack 'em up. There's no reason at all for them to have added the ship interior really, but they did and it adds a lot to the game for me.

But in reality interiors don't "need" anything, I don't want to "be" a space ship, I want to be a person who pilots a space ship. Interiors will make that just a little more believable for me. I don't think FD would be so stupid as to force it on people though.

Just a few questions respectfully to you people.

Why exactly do you want to walk around in your ships? In what way will it make everything better? Why wouldn’t you rather have new ships to pilot than have huge amounts of work sunk into making Doom Eternal level sized ship interiors?

Because, yeah it is a gigantic amount of work. I modelled a few military vehicle interiors for work and it was a very long process. The longest I did took 6 months, it was a tank. It’s smaller than most cockpits in Elite.

Seriously just walking around will captivate your attention for a month and then you’ll stay glued to your seat like before, that’s my prediction because Ifail to see what it adds aside from a few wow moments.

geez I guess it’s more than a few questions but what the hell...

Probably for the sake of completeness. To have the ability to feel more like the commander of an actual vessel. To get up and hit the ship ramp and walk out onto a planet surface. To simply hang out in the engine room? Who knows, but considering the length of development so far, it shouldn't have been too much to ask when the company juiced us up about what we WILL be able to do with their kickstarter campaign.

So you want a 3d artist to work on better missions and general game polish?

"more varied content".....um like ship interiors?

I never played Silent Hunter 5, but it sounds like the moving around the submarine wasn't optional, yes I can see how "forcing" players to do something they don't want to do is bad game design (rather like bossfights). But as long as FD make interiors optional that solves that gripe.

Varied content that actually ties the artist to concrete gameplay instead of incredibly laborious eye candy.

Look ok, if the walking around means in the already existing cockpits without bulkheads, it’s somewhat not that big of a deal... if you expect long strolls in a 150meters ships in a fully created unique level then it is a terrible idea.

Probably for the sake of completeness. To have the ability to feel more like the commander of an actual vessel. To get up and hit the ship ramp and walk out onto a planet surface. To simply hang out in the engine room? Who knows, but considering the length of development so far, it shouldn't have been too much to ask when the company juiced us up about what we WILL be able to do with their kickstarter campaign.

Yeah except that completeness is somewhat as much work graphically speaking as what already is in the game... not kidding.

If Elite was like Dual Universe in that you had to take equipment with you in storage containers on your ship, and put into personal inventory (rather than just being 255 xyz on your panel) and you had to actually get out of your ship to purchase from markets (that the people running trade bots and min maxers would complain about) then yeah having modeled interiors would be worthwhile.

If Elite was like Dual Universe in that you had to take equipment with you in storage containers on your ship, and put into personal inventory (rather than just being 255 xyz on your panel) and you had to actually get out of your ship to purchase from markets (that the people running trade bots and min maxers would complain about) then yeah having modeled interiors would be worthwhile.

From the ground up it might have been but as it is now I have no idea if it is useful.

I might talk like a ball buster but I sincerely wish I am wrong about the meager benefits from the huge amount of work involved.

Yeah except that completeness is somewhat as much work graphically speaking as what already is in the game... not kidding.

Except that Frontier have clearly been enhancing the cockpits over time and for all we know have put a lot of extra into the background that we don't know about. You can see corridors and doors through the windows of the Corvette etc. Obviously it would take a lot to enhance the ships fully and add all the rooms, even pointless ones, but all the same they still promised this eventually. So hopefully it still comes in the end.

The station interiors look awful up close, and they are apparently happening judging by what I've read. Even if it's just a hub area, but who knows. Walking around those will demand far greater detail put into the game, hopefully not adding to the already twitchy lag. Lol.

Top Bottom