Interiors, why?

No, it wasn't. It was about ship exterior. Which is the opposite of ship interior, naturally.

:ROFLMAO::LOL: , post is still there for you to re-read in black and white, believe what you like.

Ship exteriors dont serve a clear purpose, especially cosmetics, but FDev have made serious ££ from cosmetics, so ship interiors could serve a solid financial purpose let alone the hours of "gameplay" we could enjoy with them too.

Interiors dont need to serve a purpose is my point, its a sandbox, we can figure out what to do with them, just like the dusty moons they rendered in game with zero biological or geolocial items on them and nothing but flat terrain, yet some people spend days on those dusty rocks.

especially
/ɪˈspɛʃ(ə)li,ɛˈspɛʃ(ə)li/

adverb

1. 1.
    used to single out one person or thing over all others.
    "he despised them all, especially Sylvester"
especially cosmetics

9H5v.gif

i love this forum

Seriously though, it's a bit of a pointless argument. It's pretty obvious that interiors could house excellent game play subjectively. Much like any part of any game could. It's equally obvious some don't want it (like, at all), some only want it when there's enough engaging content to warrant it (I put myself in that group) and some want it just to have it.

None of the people in disparate groups will ever agree with the others, not fully anyway. But I'm pretty sure we'll get interiors at some point. Odyssey will be a huge mile marker towards that day, no doubt. Maybe when it's a reality some of us might be around to argue more about what's "fun" and what's 'terrible"

I'm happy to see this thread has produced quite a lot of ideas though. So thanks to the op for that.

most sense award go's to...

Just to clarrify (apart from modules they should look the same), cookie cutter corridors for the devs, to quickly build up the interior...then spend a bit more time adding some unique details here and there, or design the corridors with cosmetics points and let the players use ARX to buy decorations to make their ships unique themselves?

I was not factoring anything to do with ARX in my thinking and I feel like if we're relying on the microtransactions to give these ships their identity and their substance and their character then we're dipped right from the get go.

What I'm saying is there should be a similar level of differentiation to what we see in the cockpits of these ships, in the rest of their internal design. At least in part. CORE Dynamics interiors should look like CORE Dynamics. Faulcon DeLacy like Faulcon DeLacy, and so on.

I was not factoring anything to do with ARX in my thinking and I feel like if we're relying on the microtransactions to give these ships their identity and their substance and their character then we're dipped right from the get go.

What I'm saying is there should be a similar level of differentiation to what we see in the cockpits of these ships, in the rest of their internal design. At least in part. CORE Dynamics interiors should look like CORE Dynamics. Faulcon DeLacy like Faulcon DeLacy, and so on.

I addressed that originally.."corridors could be cookie cutter with the ship manufacturers having a unique style" :)

So then, what's going on in this thread?

I gave up a few days ago on page 4, but it seems like it might be a good place to start a pointless argument.

Can anyone offer a brief synopsis please, so I can pick a side and get my sarcastic groove on?

Thank you very much in advance,
The Hat :)

When and if it comes, ship boarding is going to be awesome for the PvP crowd (or solo pirates). A high risk, high reward scenario. If for example you disable someone's ship and you do decide to jetpack over there, they will have an equal chance of popping you in the head with a rifle when you board. Winner gets all, alot of money to be made 😆.
As a gulag champion I hope this is implemented on some level!

Woow, nothing to do with interiors? And here I can think of a few things off the top of my head.

Live Bounty Hunting - Bring bounties in ALIVE by boarding a ship, knocking out the bounty and dragging him/her back to yours. Throw bounty in the brig, dock at a station, turn in.

Hostage Situations - Board a ship, kill the captors or extract the hostage. Hostages need to be loaded into an escape pod or given an EVA suit to make it off the ship. If there's a mutiny on the ship, just killing the mutineers is fine.

Valuables Retrieval - Not everything is kept in the cargo hold. Valuables held in a ship's safe need to be retrieved. Opening the safe requires a cracking tool or special explosives.

Scavenging - Some abandoned ships need to have items retrieved (like a blackbox or an heirloom). Hazards like exposed conduits, radiation leaks, gas explosions, etc. make this more difficult.

Dealing with Stowaways - Sometimes NPCs make it onto your ship while loading cargo. Some of them may be hostile, some of them may be refugees. Finding and talking to them may yield a mission to do something for them, take them somewhere, or you can just vent them out the airlock. Or you can take them to an imperial station and sell them to the slave market.

The thread seems to have gone full circle again and the retirees from the formerly disbanded anti-spacelegs brigade are now back to pretending there's nothing to do with spacelegs ship interiors.

That and the dad jokes are why I rarely come to this forum.

Ship interiors is one of the most asked for features, much like the external camera there will be a dedicated following, cant compare it to multicrew because no-one asked for it as no one wanted it.
Seems a good comparison to me (interiors vs Multicrew)...

I'm fully willing to be shown to be wrong, and would gladly look forward to it when ship interiors are released, or indeed station interiors. But IMHO without some solid engaging content to require walking around ship interiors, and indeed stations, I'll liken it to Multicrew; A great idea on paper, but in the flesh (pixels), there's little to entice CMDRs to use it other than a few hours of novelty. And just like Multicrew, it will seemingly require significant development time (that could have been invested elsewhere), that risks being a 1-2hr novelty for most CMDRs, before collecting dust most of the time...

Again, more than happy to be proved wrong if/when it's released...

I think what is REALLY needed here is some idea of how much of the player base wants ship interiors and how that portion of the player base is situated in terms of people who want ship interiors because ship interiors and people who want ship interiors for new interactive content. Ship interiors do not necessarily have to start out as being interactive but they should probably be designed with interaction in mind so that continuing development can bring the new interactive content to reality. There needs to be enough interest from us, in this feature though, to warrant FDevs interest in developing it.

Seems a good comparison to me (interiors vs Multicrew)...

I'm fully willing to be shown to be wrong, and would gladly look forward to it when ship interiors are released, or indeed station interiors. But IMHO without some solid engaging content to require walking around ship interiors, and indeed stations, I'll liken it to Multicrew; A great idea on paper, but in the flesh (pixels), there's little to entice CMDRs to use it other than a few hours of novelty. And just like Multicrew, it will seemingly require significant development time (that could have been invested elsewhere), that risks being a 1-2hr novelty for most CMDRs, before collecting dust most of the time...

Again, more than happy to be proved wrong if/when it's released...
The only thing I'd say to this, because I've said most of what I think I need to say already, is that if multicrew had been released as part of an fps expansion where your crew of up to 3 (ai or player) could join you in shooting others boarding your ship or vice versa...

I'd use multicrew ;)

The only thing I'd say to this, because I've said most of what I think I need to say already, is that if multicrew had been released as part of an fps expansion where your crew of up to 3 (ai or player) could join you in shooting others boarding your ship or vice versa...

I'd use multicrew ;)
Multicrew isn't about FPS ship boarding/combat thought is it?

Multicrew was an attempt to split up an already fairly straight forward ship control experience, into smaller dedicated roles, which from the outset of the feature being announced, CMDRs asked what depth/engagement there would be in these smaller roles.... and it turned out when it was released, little to none.

Multicrew isn't about FPS ship boarding/combat thought is it?

Multicrew was an attempt to split up an already fairly straight forward ship control experience, into smaller dedicated roles, which from the outset of the feature being announced, CMDRs asked what depth/engagement there would be in these smaller roles.... and it turned out when it was released, little to none.
I think maybe the point I was making got missed a little here :)

I know all of that. That's why I don't use multicrew. But if it never happened, we only got SLF crew, then 3 years later fdev announced ship boarding where you can hire crew to protect your ship or help you board other ships... I'd sign up for it.

Understand this: I agree with you. Fdev demonstrated a flaw in creating a function that largely fell flat and had little benefit to the game. That can't happen if we're to get ship interiors. It's likely way more work than multicrew, logistically.

I'm just saying... It doesn't have to end up the same. Multicrew could have been very different if it had been implemented with more tangible function. What fdev came up with isn't a "sum total, all that could have ever been, no one could do better" feature.

And I've got to be blunt here... Almost everything that's being said "can already be done in our cockpits" will likely apply to almost everything Odyssey station/settlement interiors has to offer.

Except shooting stuff with a hand held weapon...

So I do get the fear some have because multicrew has scarred them for life but we're already going to get interiors where we're either getting "the same stuff we can do in our cockpits but inside somewhere else" or we're getting to shoot stuff.

So I hope everyone is braced for that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom